Tools for the hangar

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
new airplane owner here
What all tools and supplies do you keep out at the hangar
We bought a ercoupe that’s currently being restored and will be done in a month and a half so we are getting everything ready for once we get it
Thanks

Attachments

• E65EBD57-1695-438E-A97E-FBA6BFEE9822.jpeg
    E65EBD57-1695-438E-A97E-FBA6BFEE9822.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 79
Other than normal hand tools? A pump can with hydraulic fluid. Go jacks if you need to move the plane sideways. An appropriate jack. A beer fridge.

tow bar, air compressor, tire pressure checker, brake bleeder bomb, grease gun.

+1 on beer fridge. Club Octane rides again.....

Rags, WD40 to clean the belly, cleaner for the windows plus clean towels, cleaner for the bugs on leading edges and a scrubby, water, screw drivers, air pressure gauge, step ladder (high wing), tow bar, drop light, surgical gloves, funnel, chocks, a chair or stool for your copilot while you preflight or clean bugs, broom, trash can, maybe some bandaids, safety wire & pliers. I also use fluorescent flagging tape when I disconnect stuff so I don’t put the cowl back on without reconnecting it.

If it is a Cessna high wing. Pipe insolation with flagging tape for the trailing edge, to prevent Dimond scars on you head.

If it is a Cessna high wing. Pipe insolation with flagging tape for the trailing edge, to prevent Dimond scars on you head.

You can always tell a Cessna pilot by the diamond shape scar on the forehead.

And you can tell the intelligence of a Cessna pilot by the number of diamond shaped scars on the forehead.....

...couch, alarm clock, tooth brush, empty 5 gal bucket, lots of drinking water, TP, propane heater, phone charger, change(s) of clothes... Just a tip from experience.

Thinking about what I have in the hangar...

Tow bar (a nicer one than I carry in the plane)
Wheel mats - The one for the nosewheel has chocks built in (wooden chocks, one attached to the rubber mat for aft of the nosewheel, the other loose for putting in front of the nosewheel after it's parked)
Extension cords: One for the engine heater, one that splits out to the two battery minders (two batteries in the Mooney) and the cabin heater
Uh... Two battery minders and a cabin heater. ;)
Cleaning supplies: Wash Wax All (pink and blue), microfiber towels
Rolls of shop rags
Bottled water to take on flights
Extra headsets
A case of oil and a case of Camguard
A blanket that goes on top of the cowl in winter to help reduce heat loss and keep the heat from the Reiff in and keep temps more even throughout the engine compartment
Lots of TP and paper towel for the bathroom... A big luxury when it comes to hangars, especially when your wife flies with you a lot. :)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head - The rest is in a toolbox in the plane.

For right now? A package of those yellow microfibre cloths from Costco, and a Costco size package of the blue "shop" paper towels, some Plexus, and some Bug Slide (find it on Amazon.com).

The rest of the stuff, you'll figure out as you go along. Basic hand tools are nice. But, I wouldn't go spending a grunch on tools just yet.

Oh, and a pair of chocks and some tie down rope for those cross country trips you're gonna wanna take.

Last edited:
There’s no substitute for good lighting. A chain hoist is pretty handy. A stereo makes work time more pleasant. A comfy seating area is fun if the space is climate controlled.

• Basic hand tools - screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets, pliers, safety wire pliers
  • I need to add an electric screwdriver for all those cowling screws
  • Safety wire
  • Zip ties
  • Magnetic work light
  • Simple Green cleaner (the blue kind, safe for aluminum)
  • Pledge spray wax (for the leading edges, makes bugs clean off easier)
  • Paper towels
  • Oil, drain bucket, funnel
  • 2'x4' workbench (roadside find)
  • Towbar
  • Chairs
  • Beer fridge
  • Light overalls (for when it's T-shirt shorts weather on the ground but chilly at altitude in my open cockpit)
  • Insulated overalls (for when it's colder than that)
  • Tiedown ropes if I'm going somewhere
  • Anything else I bring from home for a particular job

I got a metal cabinet for chemicals. I also built a 2x4 crib to put under my tail skid for the times I had to climb into the tail cone and inspect the battery. Yea, and all the other stuff mentioned.

I believe there are a lot of things mentioned here that wouldn't classify as tools.

spark plug socket
torque wrench
screwdrivers
box / open-end wrench set
oil filter wrench
pliers
channel locks
needle nose
crescents
safety wire tool
small hammer
socket set
side cutters
wire strippers

First two purchases when I brought Candy home. Really helps keep the belly clean.

31ZaiZKM9KL.jpg

71v6xb2i4ML._SX679_.jpg

Dust is constantly blowing in under the hangar doors, so I keep both a broom/dustpan and an electric blower to blow the dirt out.
I also use my cheap (Ryobi) portable inflator to keep the tires tight. The Redline Sidewinder tow tells me when the nose wheel gets a little low. (the gauge on the inflator sucks so I also use a tire pressure gauge).

I don't do much of my own maintenance so most of my supplies are of the cleaning variety.

Not at all. I just figured the lounge are in the hangar was my space. That area is fun. A comfy spot to pass some time is one of the more pleasant features in my hangar.

I also use my cheap (Ryobi) portable inflator to keep the tires tight.

Yup, there's one I forgot. Mine's a Black and Decker, but whatever. It's a fraction of the price of a single aircraft tire, so a very good thing to have.

A set of pliers and vice grips.

Oh wait - those are hanger tools. Never mind, carry on.

You'll add to it over time, but for a starter kit:
1. Pliers, channel locks, vice-grips.
2. Screwdriver set and power screwdriver and cordless drill.
3. Socket set.
4. Hammer, flat bar.
5. Zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape.
6. Oil, grease, spray lithium grease, WD-40.
7. Small air compressor.
8. Paper towels, window cleaner, etc.

My hangar has a single overhead light, so I brought over my 2x500w halogens on a stand and a couple drop lights and a bunch of extension cords. I got the big box of cheap hand-tools from Harbor Freight.

Also, a trash can.

Back