Tool to combine GPS and engine data?

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I've got a JPI engine monitor and Garmin G5's that record a lot of good data, but I can't figure out any way to merge the data into one place.

I'd like to compare my altitude and speed to engine temps, etc.

I could do it myself but JPI's log format was created by some kind of sadistic mad scientist. It follows no logical pattern that can be discerned by me. I've found several older libraries that tried to parse the logs, but none of them are helpful for my EDM-900 logs. JPI responded with "no", when I asked if I could get any type of documentation on their format.

Proprietary data formats and communication protocols for something such as a JPI are commonly unconventional due to speed and storage limitations. I expect in this day of Terrabytes on a pin head, it is not so common, but in the early days of limited storage and processing speeds it was the norm.

Might be little expensive .... but one solution is to rip those off get G3X with the engine monitor module

Is your JPI interfaced with a GPS? Mine is and I get GPS data as part of the engine download (JPI930). Savvy analysis ( the free version ) will show things like altitude, groundspeed etc on the same charts with engine data.

Might want to change the title. CGR30p takes in all sorts of stuff from the GPS via RS232 and spits out a file with the merged data in CSV format to a USB flash drive.

Might want to change the title. CGR30p takes in all sorts of stuff from the GPS via RS232 and spits out a file with the merged data in CSV format to a USB flash drive.
Change it to what?

I didn't integrate my GNC-355 to my JPI because I didn't think about pushing GPS data to the JPI, I was wanting to push fuel data to the GNC and it doesn't support it. It'll be a pain in the butt to do now, and I'm not sure how it works. Not much documentation on this stuff. :(

The MVP50 won't combine all the data, but it's flight dumps are simple CSV files written to a USB drive. I don't know how the G5 dumps. I'll have to look at that. I've been thinking of putting the Avidyne IFP-550 in my plane but don't know what it does with attitude data. I'll have to look into that as well.

The panel upgrade is on hold while the avioncs shop in the area recovers from the ADSB installation backlog. I put the stop gap solution of just upgrading my (already Mode S) transponder to the ES version of the same one.

The g5 is easy, it’s CSV. It’s the jpi that’s a nightmare format.

The g5 is easy, it’s CSV. It’s the jpi that’s a nightmare format.

I have java code for JPI that decodes it, I think, but IIRC it wasn’t very user friendly, if I can dig it up, I will test with 900 files and post back.

Tom

I didn't integrate my GNC-355 to my JPI because I didn't think about pushing GPS data to the JPI, I was wanting to push fuel data to the GNC and it doesn't support it. It'll be a pain in the butt to do now, and I'm not sure how it works. Not much documentation on this stuff. :(
It's just an RS232 wire from the GNC to the EDM. If you have it, then the EDM should display distance to empty, time/gallons to destination/waypoint, time/gallons at destination/waypoint and MPG in addition to altitude/coordinates in the engine log.

It's just an RS232 wire from the GNC to the EDM. If you have it, then the EDM should display distance to empty, time/gallons to destination/waypoint, time/gallons at destination/waypoint and MPG in addition to altitude/coordinates in the engine log.
I know how to wire it, it’s just going to be a nightmare to get back into the connector now that everything is installed. Not sure how to configure either side.

I know how to wire it, it’s just going to be a nightmare to get back into the connector now that everything is installed. Not sure how to configure either side.
I think the plane would be better off in the long run with adding back the missing wire. If anything, you'll spare a future owner from scratching their head wondering why the previous owner cheaped out on that one seemingly important wire.

I know I've scratched my head a couple times.

I think the plane would be better off in the long run with adding back the missing wire. If anything, you'll spare a future owner from scratching their head wondering why the previous owner cheaped out on that one seemingly important wire.

I know I've scratched my head a couple times.
There’s no adding back something that never existed.

There’s no adding back something that never existed.
If you do add the wire, configure the GNC to output either "MapMX" format or "Aviation Format" and then configure the EDM900 to be the same.

I've got a JPI engine monitor and Garmin G5's that record a lot of good data, but I can't figure out any way to merge the data into one place.

I'd like to compare my altitude and speed to engine temps, etc.

I could do it myself but JPI's log format was created by some kind of sadistic mad scientist. It follows no logical pattern that can be discerned by me. I've found several older libraries that tried to parse the logs, but none of them are helpful for my EDM-900 logs. JPI responded with "no", when I asked if I could get any type of documentation on their format.

You should check out this product:

https://www.guardianavionics.com/smartplane-flight-data-mfd-system

Back