Tool kit for owner pilots

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
My local A&P thinks it's great that I want to be as involved as I can in the maintenance of my new airplane. I plan to do all of the stuff I legally can, and help out as much as possible on the stuff I can't do myself.

My new Zodiac XLi is a factory aircraft, so I don't have the huge collection of tools that a homebuilder accumulates. I'm starting from scratch; I've got a reasonable number of tools around the house, but I'm looking to build a set to leave at the hangar.

What do I need to get? Should I get anything at all now, or follow the A&P through on the first few maintenance jobs and see what actually gets used?

At the hangar I keep a set of socket wrenches, screwdrivers, and nut drivers. Just basic stuff. The only special tools I have there are a torque wrench for spark plugs, a oil wrench torque wrench, and a oil can cutter. That is about it. When I have to remove the cowling I bring my Makita power screw driver from home. I do have a lot of rags and cleaning supplies that I keep in the hangar storage locker along with oil, air filters, oil filters, lights, and a few other sundry items.

This is what I started with, and recommend:

http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/191532-1.html

This is a list of emergency tools and items you may wish to have with you. The reason is these are the items you are most likely to need for simple maintenance problems.

I most important items are screwdrivers. I like the orange-handled Rigid models. If you get a brand with interchangeable tips, you can buy ACR (anti-camout, removal) tips, which are like regular Phillips tips with little ridges on the removal side. They help prevent gouging out screws.

The next most important item (to me) is a Dremel tool. When you do cam-out that screw in a really inconvenient place (like I did trying to remove corroded screws in the mounting bracket for my sun visors), there's just nothing else that will grind a slot into the head.

I have just added "Rescue Tape" to my tool box. I just saw it yesterday at the AOPA Fly-in. Truly remarkable stuff. There is no adhesive on it, it is self-fusing in 90 seconds. Cut a length, remove the backing, wrap it around something and a minute or so later you have a solid sleeve of plastic like heavy duty shrink tubing.

If you get a brand with interchangeable tips, you can buy ACR (anti-camout, removal) tips, which are like regular Phillips tips with little ridges on the removal side. They help prevent gouging out screws.
I hadn't heard about these before. I'll definitely have to find some.

The next most important item (to me) is a Dremel tool. When you do cam-out that screw in a really inconvenient place (like I did trying to remove corroded screws in the mounting bracket for my sun visors), there's just nothing else that will grind a slot into the head.
Indeed. One of my favorite sayings is that with a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel, anything will take a flat blade screwdriver.

I have just added "Rescue Tape" to my tool box. I just saw it yesterday at the AOPA Fly-in. Truly remarkable stuff. There is no adhesive on it, it is self-fusing in 90 seconds. Cut a length, remove the backing, wrap it around something and a minute or so later you have a solid sleeve of plastic like heavy duty shrink tubing.
I'm going to have to find some of this stuff, too. Lots of uses beyond aviation, I can see.

Make sure that you check out the link, it is excellent. One of the most important things Mike Busch recommends (and he is of course, absolutely on point) is to have the right information resources, such as Parts and Service Manuals, on CD. You are required to have the correct service manual open to the appropriate page, whenever working on your aircraft.

At least two extra plugs if not a half set is a good idea. I also like to keep extra parts that seem to disappear around (Rollers on the Viking seat) You can recollect them when you recover the plane. I just recently found 4 while changing the battery.

Dan

Take a critical look at Part 43, Appendix A, which outlines the things you can do as "preventative maintenance". Figure out what tools you'll need to complete those tasks. Compare that to the list Les posted a link to. That would be a very good starting point.

Personally, I have an "emergency tool kit" in my airplane with a small socket set, a few wrenches and screwdrivers, and some odds and ends that I've found necessary and accumulated over time. I also carry a spare tire and tube for my tailwheel. VERY important...not every shop has those in stock, and don't ask me how I know ;) Suffice it to say that I've been VERY lucky over the years when tailwheel problems arose, and I do my best to pay it forward...My mechanic has permission to use my spare if somebody shows up in dire need...happens every couple of years, so my spare stays fresh, too.

If I'm going to be doing preventative maintenance on my Maule at the hangar, I just bring from home what I think I'll need, but it's seldom much more than what I have in my emergency kit.

Fly safe!

David

Don't forget the "allen wrenches". They're almost always forgotten and there is nothing you can substitute for them.

They're actually Bristol spline wrenches, but many radios can be removed with Allen wrenches. In some cases, such as the KX170 series, the wrench is turning a plastic pawl that engages a slot in the rack. If you think you are loosening a screw and keep turning, you will irreparably damage your radio. You can take your transponder out the same way, but you can't legally put it back without the proper licensure.

There is a website dedicated to KX 170's which can easily be found with a search engine, and that describes radio removal very well.

While not exactly tools in the normal sense, you need a parts catalog and a service/repair manual for your airplane if you don't already have them. Pick up a copy of FAA AC 43.13-1b for your library as well.

hopefully Dave "tool man" Taylor will chime in. He had a quite impressive set of tools at Gastons and it really came in handy when various repairs (fuel pump, eyeglasses) needed to be made.

I learned long ago to carry a few tools. That way, when ever I need to do some work I will be sure not to have the one I need.:yes:

While not exactly tools in the normal sense, you need a parts catalog and a service/repair manual for your airplane if you don't already have them. Pick up a copy of FAA AC 43.13-1b for your library as well.
Got the parts catalog and service manual today, along with lots of other stuff for the airplane. I'll scan them to PDF and keep them on my laptop, too.

The AC is a good idea. I'll grab one. Thanks.

I have not needed to fool with those so that is why I had not run into needing allen wrenches.
I ran into that in flight on a 135 checkride...fortunately, I was able to convince the inspector to keep searching for that traffic at our 5 o'clock position, and he never noticed ;)

Fly safe!

David

I've been working with my A&P since January on various interesting planes. I got tired of looking for the tools that I needed so I put together a tool bag that has most of the non-specialized tools that I use most often. Details are here: http://www.touringmachine.com/Articles/maintenance/90/

I'd add a phenolic scraper, some toothbrushes, and a pair of duckbill pliers to the list. I had some of the tools and the rest cost about $200. If you are working on your own you'll need a good torque wrench, some spark plug wrenches for loosening the wires, and lubricants. LPS-2 or ACF-50 make good lubricant for pulleys and hinges. I like to use LPS-2 to remove gas and brake fluid stains. It works well to remove grease though some people prefer cheaper solvents. They can also be used for loosening screws but a can of Pen-Safe would be a good investment. If I was working on my own, I'd also buy shop towels by the case.

If you are going to be greasing your own wheel bearings a bearing greaser makes it easier.

Nice list J. I can't say I carry even close to that, but I don't really have enough knowledge to use the tools I do carry.:redface:

I see you don't carry ball bearings. I thought everything was ball bearings these days. :rofl:

While doing my owner assited annual I collected each tool we used and put them in a $5 tool box. I have a fixed gear 150hp Cardinal. My plan was to only have the tools I actually use as opposed to a complete wrench set for instance. This was done in anticipation of a month long flying holiday in a couple years.

I also fabricated a couple of items. Here are some pictures:

I sewed up some trouser legs to make the bags for the jack and the tie down; I used a hanging bar from a moving box to make a wrench to fit my wheel nuts; I bent and riveted a piece of 22 gauge metal and drilled holes to make the spark plug rack; I cut and welded a 5/8 and 1 inch wrech together; I cut down a the screwjack and added the wood saddle for the landing legs.

I have three compartments in the top of the tool box for safety wire; electrical butt joints, rings, connectors; and screws, bolts, cotter pins, dzus locks.

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • Tool box lid.jpg
    Tool box lid.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • Tools laid out.jpg
    Tools laid out.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I carry a soft sided tool bag with tools I need. Wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, wire twisters, a reddi ratchet, a 1" wrench for oil filters, safety wire, duct tape, a Leatherman, some extra screws, zip ties, tire repair kit, etc. If I choose to do owner maintenance I rarely need anything other than my on-board tool kit. If I do, it usually gets added.

Rent a hangar next to an RV-8 builder.

I lucked out. My neighbor can build an airplane from scratch. :D

In the hangar I keep a small tool box with wrenches, sockets, and a few specialty tools I frequently need on my plane.

I also have a small tool box I carry in the plane with an adjustable wrench, multi bit screw drivers, and a few pliers of various types.

This is what I started with, and recommend:

http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/191532-1.html

Don't mean to vendor bash, but I had this stuff also. Was working at a remote base living in a camper and the shower hose sprung a leak. Even in this low pressure system, the water leaked all over, and I had installed it correctly. I would test whatever brand you get before depending on it. Just my 2 cents.

While doing my owner assited annual I collected each tool we used and put them in a $5 tool box.
And your mechanic was REALLY ****ed when he went to work on the next airplane and all the tools were missing. ;)

How does the "take off the covers and look" tool set compare to the "fix the thing you are looking at" tool set?

Yes, you have to draw the line somewhere. But there may be a good reason to carry that 7/16" wrench.

Holy necropsy Batman! Haven't seen the Tron Guy around these parts for a long time. Pity about that airplane, too.

Small tool box in the hangar

Full 1/4 and 1/2 inch sockets, with ratchets and torque wrenches, corresponding open ended wrenches and one set of ratcheting open ended.

Screw driver and bits

Safety wire and pliers

Small set of needle nose, dikes etc

Multimeter

Nylon coated small pry pars

Micrometer and feelers

Allen keys

Flashlight, and mirror

Some zip ties and misc

5 gallon oil drain bucket

Box of nitrate gloves

Tuppawear box of cleaning stuff for the plane too.

At the very least I'd say you need safety wire and pliers, and a few sockets and wrenches and TRQ wrench for a oil change.

Don't mean to vendor bash, but I had this stuff also. Was working at a remote base living in a camper and the shower hose sprung a leak. Even in this low pressure system, the water leaked all over, and I had installed it correctly. I would test whatever brand you get before depending on it. Just my 2 cents.

I've found it sticks/fuses to itself but not so good on tubing.

How does the "take off the covers and look" tool set compare to the "fix the thing you are looking at" tool set?

Yes, you have to draw the line somewhere. But there may be a good reason to carry that 7/16" wrench.

It turns out my plane is rather simple and the take off and look tools are the same tools to fix the things I can fix. I talked at length with my mechanic about what ifs and what tools for them as well.

I'm adding a first aid kit, but outside that this is all I have:
- A tool to open the cowling
- 1 Quart of oil (I don't use much if any, but still like to have some)
- 1 Halon fire extinguisher
- 1 blanket in cold weather
- 1 Credit Card

I figure if anything serious breaks on my oldie, having the card to arrange secondary travel is most important as the aircraft is unlikely to move anytime soon ...

My local A&P thinks it's great that I want to be as involved as I can in the maintenance of my new airplane. I plan to do all of the stuff I legally can, and help out as much as possible on the stuff I can't do myself.

My new Zodiac XLi is a factory aircraft, so I don't have the huge collection of tools that a homebuilder accumulates. I'm starting from scratch; I've got a reasonable number of tools around the house, but I'm looking to build a set to leave at the hangar.

What do I need to get? Should I get anything at all now, or follow the A&P through on the first few maintenance jobs and see what actually gets used?

Here's a good start. No need to spend a bunch:

Flashlight
Inspection Mirror (the large one from Sears)
Roll of .032" safety wire
Safety wire pliers
4-way reversible screwdriver from ACE hardware
Cheap Multimeter
Craftsman 1/4" socket set
Basic 1/4" - 3/4" Craftsman combo-wrench set
Magnifying glass
and this:

51%2BxCPl2LuL.jpg

Holy necropsy Batman! Haven't seen the Tron Guy around these parts for a long time. Pity about that airplane, too.

The plane is apparently still around with a new owner, although not been on FlightAware since 2011. Not really surprising for an LSA, though.

Back