Took the plunge...bought a Zenith CH801 kit!

moparrob66

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Moparrob
Pretty excited as its a big step towards a lifelong dream. Its about 50% complete and I'm researching engine options now...leaning towards an O-360. I'd like to find some transition training before its first flight. Any leads on one?

If you're not already a member, join EAA. Then find your local chapter.

Congrats. If it’s engineless and only 50% done, you’ve got plenty of time to find instructors. I learned the hard way that the easy part of building an airplane is making it look like an airplane. It’s the wiring that takes forever. It’s slow and tedious.

Congrats. If it’s engineless and only 50% done, you’ve got plenty of time to find instructors. I learned the hard way that the easy part of building an airplane is making it look like an airplane. It’s the wiring that takes forever. It’s slow and tedious.

Agreed! I thought for my simple VFR experimental that a forrest of tabs of 24 connectors for grounding would be enough. Lessons learned ...

If this is your first build you may end up surprised at how much time and effort is involved in installing a lycoming engine with all of its disparate parts. There will be no guidance, support, or internet data that will help you figure it out. I know because I did it for my Zenith.

The one thing I learned in the process is that, while a lyco may be a very reliable engine, when you start putting together your unique firewall forward you begin to realize just how many potential points of failure that exist that have nothing to do with the engine itself.

0nce I realized that the carb, controls, fuel system, wiring system, cabin heat, oil cooling, electrical components, every screw and mount I installed were on-off based on my decisions - the idea that my one-off lyco install was no where near as reliable as the same engine in a certificated plane where all the components and installation had many years of improvements and corrective ADs.

In retrospect I would have installed a Viking engine. All of the critical components and wiring harness are all built by Honda (to a great extent) and designed to work together.

In my opinion, a Viking engine is at least as reliable, if not more so, than a one-off install of a lyco engine.

When you consider the weight savings, lack of vibration, fuel economy, fuel injection, and Honda reliability, and more HP for a lower cost, the Viking becomes very attractive. Also no $45,000 overhaul in your future.

Yes, there are people who have gripe about Jan's history but that situation was many years ago. He has now built a solid international reputation with his conversions and the many other inventions he has created to improve our aircraft.

As usual, I will never return to this thread so direction comments about my opinion will never be read or responded to. I have no interest in others opinion of my opinion...

I can imagine. The Viking does appeal to me, but my biggest concern is that the sustained rpm at cruise seems like driving on the freeway in 3rd gear. Only time will tell if that is sustainable.

I thought about doing a lycoming by way of a wrecked or corroded mooney...wouldnt the only difference fwf be the mount and cowling? Then I could swap over all the accessories to the newer airframe with minimal shopping around.

Gonna disagree with Lndwarrior. There is no way that a Viking engine is near the reliability of a Lycoming aircraft engine with all things being equal.

I installed a Corvair conversion and as WW says, "we don't worship at the temple of Lycoming but we tithe there" meaning that we seek to copy as much from them as possible. My install, as an O-360 would be, is very straight forward and quite simplistic. With a carb all that is needed is a good gravity feed fuel system. No EFI injectors, computers, high pressure fuel pumps (times two), etc. I have dual ignition with one set of points and another using a hall effect sensor. Your O-360 would be even simpler with dual mags.

The O-360 would only need a good fuel supply and proper P-leads for the mags. Cables for throttle & mixture ain't rocket science. One of my favorite quotes is this: "Trade nothing for reliability, whatever you can get for it ain't worth it."

I appreciate all the input. The viking will be cheaper until i have to replace it with a lycoming. Ive been looking for first hand accounts of viking problems or failures and I notice that they put a lot of effort into promoting the advantages of their products so much that it overshadows anyone who has complained about them on line. This may be a sign of a good product, or just a brilliant marketing strategy. Im still deciding which one it is!

I appreciate all the input. The viking will be cheaper until i have to replace it with a lycoming. Ive been looking for first hand accounts of viking problems or failures and I notice that they put a lot of effort into promoting the advantages of their products so much that it overshadows anyone who has complained about them on line. This may be a sign of a good product, or just a brilliant marketing strategy. Im still deciding which one it is!

I don't want to be a part of bashing the egg-man as there's plenty of that already online. Suffice it to say that I would never fly one of his engines ...

Besides joining a local EAA chapter, there’s a ton of EAA builder “ How To” videos that you might find helpful. https://www.eaa.org/videos/hints-for-homebuilders Seek out Zenith builder’s forums and websites/forums that cater to home builders like Homebuilt Aircraft, Matronics, the EAA Forums, and even Van’s Air Force (yes it’s RV specific but it has a ton of info on building techniques, components and avionics, etc).

PS— while FWF can be intimidating, as that’s usually the least documented section of every kit out there, more than likely you won’t be charting new territory. It’s pretty much been done before, so it’s a matter of spending some time researching what’s applicable to your specific installation and learn what works. We’ve all been there so don’t get discouraged by a few naysayers.

Thanks for the encouragement! Looking forward to connecting with other builders. Naysayers inspire me to prove them wrong!

Awesome. I'm building a CH 750. Zenith is pretty awesome to work with, If you get stumped, just give Rodger a call.

And the posters above are right, wiring is not very documented and takes longer than you think. I'm doing electrical and fuel lines now. The tribal knowledge is there, you just have to look for it.

I wanted a mogas-friendly engine and during my power-plant search I was taken in by the Viking's cost.

At the build center, there was a Viking sitting on the ground for sale, removed from a stol-plane. Unsure of the reason, but was sure I didn't want to be in the same situation, having to swap engines after the build was completed.

Went with a 915 Rotax and have zero complaints. I'd note that I'm my local shop's only Rotax flyer, and that the online documentation has been excellent for them to service the plane. Also there are thousands of Rotax engines flying and its a simple call to find expert help, if needed. Have not been AOG yet, thankfully, but my confidence in getting help anywhere with a Rotax is strong.

Could you say the same about Viking?

Also consider the eventuality of resale.
If you don't finish your build or do finish and enjoy it for years. I'm confident my pre-covid priced Rotax 915 FWF package will sell for more than I paid for it, much like the plane itself.

What's the spread now between new and used Viking engines? Flying 801's with Vikings vs Corvair or other power? IMO the value-add of a Viking is a strong negative. A 'throw away' power-plant with weak support takes a lot of value from your build.

Back