Took a Beating Today

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Today was the day to fly my son from Atlanta to Sulphur Springs Texas to spend a week with his grandparents. The forecasts looked good except for the forecast headwinds going West.

Well, they got the wind part right, but the ceilings were <2,000' all the way from East of the Mississippi to KSLR, which is about 50 miles East of Dallas, and the visibility stunk. Oh, and turbulence. I had to throttle way back to avoid being bounced off of the canopy repeatedly. Even after that, we got bounced around pretty good for the last two hours. So... Headwinds, bad visibility, turbulence, and it was warm too. Just a rotten flight.

We arrived at KSLR about an hour later than I expected, just in time for some very light rain.

I dropped off the boy and his stuff, did a quick turn-around, headed East, circled up through the only hole between Dallas and the Mississippi, and found myself in clear visibility on top with a smooth ride and a tailwind.

The interesting thing was that near the Miss/Alabama border, the tailwinds picked up from ~10 knots to 35-40 knots in a matter of about 10 minutes. My groundspeed went from 162 Knots to as much as 194. So the last part of the return leg went pretty fast.

'Twas a long day in a little airplane.

Should've stop by Birmingham, I would have flown with you. Would have saved me some bucks too as I had to buy some diamonds for the wife, 45th today.

Today was the day to fly my son from Atlanta to Sulphur Springs Texas

I made an emergency landing at Sulphur Springs back in 2008 with a sputtering engine on my Arrow. Turned out to be a leaky fuel bowl. Got some help to fix it with safety wire holding the cap down.

Should've stop by Birmingham, I would have flown with you. Would have saved me some bucks too as I had to buy some diamonds for the wife, 45th today.

45th Anniversary? Congrats!

Based on the way it was phrased... 45th wife.

Nope. Cheaper to keep her, or maybe she says that about me. Believe I think I would give up if I had 2-3 wives let alone 45!

Today was the day to fly my son from Atlanta to Sulphur Springs Texas to spend a week with his grandparents. The forecasts looked good except for the forecast headwinds going West.

Well, they got the wind part right, but the ceilings were <2,000' all the way from East of the Mississippi to KSLR, which is about 50 miles East of Dallas, and the visibility stunk. Oh, and turbulence. I had to throttle way back to avoid being bounced off of the canopy repeatedly. Even after that, we got bounced around pretty good for the last two hours. So... Headwinds, bad visibility, turbulence, and it was warm too. Just a rotten flight.

We arrived at KSLR about an hour later than I expected, just in time for some very light rain.

I dropped off the boy and his stuff, did a quick turn-around, headed East, circled up through the only hole between Dallas and the Mississippi, and found myself in clear visibility on top with a smooth ride and a tailwind.

The interesting thing was that near the Miss/Alabama border, the tailwinds picked up from ~10 knots to 35-40 knots in a matter of about 10 minutes. My groundspeed went from 162 Knots to as much as 194. So the last part of the return leg went pretty fast.

'Twas a long day in a little airplane.

Ouch! You might want to think about instrument rating? You'd be a lot more comfortable and safer higher up.

Back