Too old to own your own airplane

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
I think my mid life crises will be owning my own airplane. Yes I consider 50 year to be mid life. :) it's kind of like those empty nester couples
Buying a Corvette or a Porsche. I see it all the time. So is 50 years old to deal with the Hassle of owning.

Your not serious ? Your never too old. 50 your just a kid. Go for it.

Some say life begins at 50.

Flying is cheaper than hookers and blow plus the divorce that comes with them and the Porsche and the house gone ... lawyers ... ****ed off folks ... settlements .. Bad joo-joo.

Just buy a plane and go fly. :)

You're kidding, right?

You're never too old. Actually, 50 is perfect. You are in your peak earning years, the kids are gone or almost and that house you bought where you were 25 is almost paid for.

Haa I wish the house would be paid for soon. Just bought new 1
1/2 years ago. The kids may not all be moved out by 50 but the are financially stable and earning their own income and pay their own bills.

...Actually, 50 is perfect. You are in your peak earning years, the kids are gone or almost ....

Whaa? I'm 50 and have a 4 year old. Is he headed off on his own sometime soon?

I mean, he's bright and everything, I'm just not sure he has the whole career and income thing figured out yet.

I daresay there are a lot of 65yo's who wish they could turn the clock back to 50 and get into aviation. Get at it.

50 is the new 48 1/2, which happens to be the perfect age to own an airplane!!*

*I have no idea what I just said, but regardless, GO FOR IT!!

OP dude if you are thinking you are old at 50 you are screwed. Change your attitude or the rest of your life is going to be miserable. You become what you think you are, start thinking you are old and decrepit and that is what you will be. Airplanes or not that doesn't matter in the total quality of life factor.

Never too old. I purchased my airplane at the age of 43 and constantly kick myself for not buying a plane earlier.

Never too old. I purchased my airplane at the age of 43 and constantly kick myself for not buying a plane earlier.

I think I beat you by a few years, but my sentiments exactly. There are several older guys that have planes at my airport. In fact, most people worry that there aren't enough younger guys flying.

I'm 31 and intend to pull a trigger in 12 months when I get back to civilization from this godforsaken sh*thole...

I wonder if there's a kindergarten for plane owners, I should apply there it seems :)

I'll be too old to own when I can't heave my frail body into the cockpit of my LSA anymore.

My only regret about owning an airplane is that I can't afford to own more of them.

Old at 50?? WTF. I'm pushing 75 and haven't had my midlife circuses yet.

think about it.

I have given up ownership, I'm simply too busy to fly enough to make it economical.

I'm 64 and just bought another airplane with a friend. I have to tear it all apart and rebuild it from the ground up so I can use the new A&P license I just got 6 months ago. Your never too old so go for it. My Dad just sold his Aztec in Sept last year and now flies his Remos even though he still has his Third Class Medical. Don

I personally plan on going west at 94, shot by a jealous husband (or my wife, if she finds out first). :goofy:

Jim

I personally plan on going west at 94, shot by a jealous husband (or my wife, if she finds out first). :goofy:

Jim
My Plan is to live to be the first man to live to be 2000, so far my plane is working.

I have multiple friends who are in their late 80's and early 90's who still own and fly their own planes (and pass their physicals)

At the QB meeting last month one of the members said he had gone out that morning and shot 9 take offs and landings. It was his 90th birthday and did one for each year. Don

65 here. Flying for about 40 years. Owned planes through much of that flying career.

Currently own and maintain my ELSA Sky Arrow.

As I age, I keep Dirty Harry's advice in mind: " A man's got to know his limitations."

I just try to pace myself, take things a little slower, and I'm a bit quicker to ask for help.

But I can't think of any age, barring physical or mental limitations, that would preclude aircraft ownership.

GO FOR IT!!! :yes:

I'm 64, and I own and fly my own plane. My pal Kenny is 78, and owns and flies his own plane. My other pal Charlie is 90, and owns and flies his own plane. So to me, 50 is just a young whippersnapper of an owner/pilot.

Some say life begins at 50.

Flying is cheaper than hookers and blow plus the divorce that comes with them and the Porsche and the house gone ... lawyers ... ****ed off folks ... settlements .. Bad joo-joo.

Just buy a plane and go fly. :)

Obviously, you don't buy your hookers and blow at the same place I do.

At the QB meeting last month one of the members said he had gone out that morning and shot 9 take offs and landings. It was his 90th birthday and did one for each year. Don
I'd be worried about his cognitive skills unless he really said he'd done one for each decade.

I think my mid life crises will be owning my own airplane. Yes I consider 50 year to be mid life. :) it's kind of like those empty nester couples
Buying a Corvette or a Porsche. I see it all the time. So is 50 years old to deal with the Hassle of owning.

If you even have to ask then maybe you shouldn't.

I bought my first plane at 50. I am now on plane number 5. I Love to fly.

I'm 77 and own 2 airplanes. But I guess I am to old to buy another--the hangar's too small and I'm too old to move to a bigger house and hangar.:D

Paul
N1431A
N2426E

Huh?

I've met 80 year olds who do owner assisted annuals, I don't really see why your age changes things at all.

Actually I'd say it would, if anything, be easier for a retired person to own.

Frankly there isn't much hassle in my experience, once you get your plane dialed in, you really shouldn't have to mess with it too much.

Back