Too much plane for training?

Wow! Both, I’m jealous. Well it seems the crowd agrees with you that the 182 is roomier, and I’m sure cheaper come annual time. The clincher came today when AOPA informed me that insurance would be roughly 7 times that of the 182 for any Bonanza! Ouch. Anyone know a good 182 for sale?

7 times sounds bad, but whether it is 'expensive' depends on what the end game is. If your eventual goal is to have an A36 as the family plane, the increased first year insurance is going to be a rounding error in the entire project.
If you go 182 --> A36 you save on first year insurance, you still have
- buy/sell cost for the 182
- transition training x2 to move from the 182 to the Bo
- insurance hit for year 1 of retract ownership

There is a reason Cessna managed to sell a bunch of 182s and why they are still in demand.

Wow! Both, I’m jealous. Well it seems the crowd agrees with you that the 182 is roomier, and I’m sure cheaper come annual time. The clincher came today when AOPA informed me that insurance would be roughly 7 times that of the 182 for any Bonanza! Ouch. Anyone know a good 182 for sale?
I knew....eventually we'd get here. :D

I’m 6’6” and I trained in a 172. Later I instructed in 150/152’s. A 182 would be plenty of room. If your boys are proportioned the beech line is ok. I found the rudder placement relative to the seating position to be awkward in the beech compared to Cessna but still manageable. If they are longer in the legs the beech might not work. You really need to hunt around for a few planes to let them try on for fit.

Insurance, it Turns out for a bonanza with teenagers that don’t even have a private yet is very ugly. AOPA Quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of 7000 a year if it could even be done and would probably require the better part of 20 hours of duel before they could solo the plane. Between that, and the fact that the annuals on the bonanza I can only assume are a great deal more makes it a 182, Who knows, couple years from now and they’re still into it and almost ready to start their commercial license then the Bo... A big thumbs up to all that chimed in with advice. Like I stated originally it’s been along time since I’ve been in the general aviation world and my path through it the first time was very different than the norm and I was never an owner then.

I’m 6’6” and I trained in a 172. Later I instructed in 150/152’s. A 182 would be plenty of room. If your boys are proportioned the beech line is ok. I found the rudder placement relative to the seating position to be awkward in the beech compared to Cessna but still manageable. If they are longer in the legs the beech might not work. You really need to hunt around for a few planes to let them try on for fit.

Oh we have done that, they have flown archers, warriors, which I found out are all the identical size plane just with different motors, and 172’s. We even drove 2 hrs. To sit in a Rockwell commander 112. Which was a cool airplane and roomy but does not have much useful load, and more than one A&P painted ugly pictures about parts, AD’s, etc. Plus if I’m buying a retract the why not get what I really want. My shorter son at 6’6” has even flown the 152, I won’t say what he said about the experience. They’re weight is proportionate to their size, 230lbs and 260lbs but they are very long Legged, 34 and 36” inseam. The 172 They both said is fine but when I get in it with them our shoulders are pressed together pretty damn tight. Thus this is how I came to the decision of 182, 4 inches wider than the 172. I was just amazed looking on barnstormers how reasonable the price was on older V-tails cheaper than old Cessna 182’s, and I just remember flying an A-36 and really liking it for the 50 hrs I flew it in 1988, but there’s probably a reason why these things are so cheap comparatively, old E-225 motors, electric prop., magnesium pieces, AD’s on a 60year old complex plane, etc. The kiss of death really is the insurance cost and in the last week I’ve heard some pretty ugly annual nightmares, Yes you could have a pricey annual with any plane but with all the weird motors,props, and retractable gear system you’re really lining up for some painful price of ownership shock.

Good thing you're not considering a 172SX, those things are a handful and a half!!

Hi all,
I’m interested in hearing any/all thoughts for teaching two new pilots (my sons, 18-20yrs. Old) in either a C-182 or the plane I really want, a V tail or Debonair. My reasoning behind these choices is mainly our size, I’m 6,6” and one son is that size and the other is 6’8”! As far as the Beech I just love the way they fly and oddly it seems you can get a better deal on one of these than a 182. Flight trading for me was 35 years and 19,000 hours ago so I admittedly might need a reality check about either plane. Any thought from mechanics, owners, instructors would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

Can I dovetail off this forum topic, or would it be best to simply start my own? My question is similar but aircraft specific. It seems like we're both looking for the right Training platform.

i know a guy that took his PPl in a P-51. it can be done in anything with the right training.

The P-51 is a good trainer for the T-6. ;)

Back