Too much noise

In the Willamette valley there is a lot of gorgeous countryside, but don't even think about making a relaxation recording of the sounds of nature here; can't be done because of the extreme abundance of small planes.

Absolute troll rubbish. Most of the airports in the valley were IFR today because of fog and low clouds.

There is no "extreme abundance" of small planes here - alas.

I live in the unincorporated area of Dexter, Oregon. Under the practice area for Creswell airport. It is very peaceful and quiet out here and visitors always comment on that quiet - despite our location under the practice area. We get more noise from freight trains and trucks on highway 58 nearly a mile away than we get from small airplanes.

By the way, what part of the valley are you in? It is a rather large area. For all we know you live in an urban area in or near Portland, Salem, or Eugene. I'm guessing Eugene.

......... Unless they can be made quiet, the only solution seems to be to raise fees associated with flying to reduce their prevalence in the sky.

Please post your home address and we will be over to discuss this little problem of yours....:yes::D

Airplane noise is the least of the problems around here. I live less than a mile from the airport, yet there's more noise from the pulp mill across the river, from the two railroads, from the busy street a few houses away that has lots of open-pipe Harleys, noisy cars and big trucks.

When I go fishing or camping (lots of that around this country) I seldom hear any airplanes. If there's annoying noise, it's from dirt bikes or loud stereos. I wish I knew why guys go camping "to relax in the woods" and take head-banger music with them. Are they addicted?

Paul Poberezny once wrote an article about a town that had problems with neighbors trying to shut the local airport. He flew into that place and took a cab into town. As he travelled along, he noticed numerous homeowners mowing their lawns, using weedwhackers, tuning up motorcycles and snowmobiles in their driveways and the like. Hypocrisy.

Dan

What do you guys think our troll would do if he found out most of our planes still burn leaded fuel?

IIRC, a bunch of years ago AOPA did some sort of noise study at a popular national park. They found that more noise was caused by buses, cars and the people themselves than the single engine plane passing overhead.

Actually I think they are about to embark on another study.

I'm not trying to be funny or flippant, but I honestly hate the sound birds make.

My lord have you ever heard the almost deafening constant noise of a flock of starlings it wii drive you mad.

My lord have you ever heard the almost deafening constant noise of a flock of starlings it wii drive you mad.

When I was in Fairbanks, I lived near a nature preserve that was used by thousands of geese. The noise from them was deafening, but at least I had no need of an alarm clock in the morning.

Hello,

Flying a small plane for recreation purposes is very cool and a dream come true for many people. But other people have a right to listen to the birds, the wind, a stream, and silence. We're getting to the point in this country where enjoying the sounds of nature is becoming impossible. You can go out in the woods not too far out of town and get away from the cars and lawnmowers, but good luck getting away from the small planes. Aren't pilots infringing upon the rights of others to be able to enjoy the peaceful sounds of nature without what sounds like a gigantic lawnmower ripping across the sky for nearly the entire duration of their walk? In the Willamette valley there is a lot of gorgeous countryside, but don't even think about making a relaxation recording of the sounds of nature here; can't be done because of the extreme abundance of small planes. Unless they can be made quiet, the only solution seems to be to raise fees associated with flying to reduce their prevalence in the sky.

Nice trolling job!

Extreme abundance of small planes? :rofl:

The neighbors behind me have two dogs, which bark CONSTANTLY whenever they're outside. I think dogs should be taxed until there are fewer of them.

I can hear train whistles from my bedroom several times an hour. I think the fees on trains should be raised until there are fewer of them.

When you drive out to these gorgeous areas, the noise of your car probably disturbs someone's peace and quiet. Maybe the taxes on your car should be raised until you drive it less.

Back