Too low on engine out practice

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 32033 Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, ARROW, WARRIOR, ACHER, D
Date: 03/19/2005 Time: 1500

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
PILOT WAS TRAINING STUDENT. HE SIMULATED AN ENGINE OUT AND WHEN HE PULLED UP THE WING THE TIP HIT A HIGH TENSION WIRE. THE WINDSHIELD WAS CRACKED AND THE WING TIP BROKE OFF. ACFT LANDED SAFELY. MINOR HEAD INJURY TO THE STUDENT. EASTMAN, GA

WEATHER: NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY.

yeah; way too much of that goes on...along with the:

- not clearing engine while looking for simulated emergency field
- not turning carb heat on while looking for emergency field
- not taking carb heat off before firewalling throttle
- etc.
- etc.
- etc.

99.99% of the time they are just lucky.

.01% they make the ntsb reports...

Brian Austin said:
Like this one, from my old flight school:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20031201X01972&key=1

Hot doggin' CFI.

Nahhhh, When you pull it off, that's hot doggin', when you crash, that's dumb a$$. Although, I have had students complete forced landings, but they were always in hayfields that were known to me as smooth and short (grass, not length) since I cut them. Typically only a manuver for those who carried too much fear late into training.

bbchien said:
709 ride....sigh.

They didn't 709 me when I took out some high tension lines. Probably because they were sagging a lot lower than they should have been (I couldn't get under them with an Ag Cat, realized it at the last moment, popped up & caught the set with the gear. Luckily I got the nose down and had a full tank in the hopper so my inertia busted them) and didn't crash.

Henning said:
They didn't 709 me when I took out some high tension lines. Probably because they were sagging a lot lower than they should have been (I couldn't get under them with an Ag Cat, realized it at the last moment, popped up & caught the set with the gear. Luckily I got the nose down and had a full tank in the hopper so my inertia busted them) and didn't crash.

Henning, you're a walking advertisement for the old aviation saying - "never get into the cockpit with someone braver than yourself!" Ag pilots are a special breed.

Ghery said:
Henning, you're a walking advertisement for the old aviation saying - "never get into the cockpit with someone braver than yourself!" Ag pilots are a special breed.

Flying is all about energy management, once you learn it you don't have anything to fear. The problem with Ag, is it's boring...back and forth and back and forth and.... day after day in season. When you find yourself "snapping to" in the plane and realize that you just sprayed the last 120 acres daydreaming away on autopilot, it's time to take a day off.

Henning said:
Flying is all about energy management, once you learn it you don't have anything to fear. The problem with Ag, is it's boring...back and forth and back and forth and.... day after day in season. When you find yourself "snapping to" in the plane and realize that you just sprayed the last 120 acres daydreaming away on autopilot, it's time to take a day off.

Funny, I've always wanted to be a cropduster, since I was 11 years old. When I watch the local guys around here, it seems like aerial ballet! I just watch in awe. One of the cropduster guys told me once he had to take a drink of scotch before he flew, just so he wouldn't be scared! I didn't believe him, but he did pull out onto the runway in front of our Skyhawk one time when a student was landing. Had a lot of work done on the Skyhawk after that little incident.

Aerial ballet, yeah, that's an apt descriptor. One time I overflew a 'duster's field and started circling (3,000 agl) when I saw the field was in use by as many as 7 a/c. Couldn't believe my eyes when I witnessed simultaneous takeoffs and landings opposite directions on the one short strip.

Made note of the location and returned by car a couple days later to watch. Departing traffic would remain below 100agl until a mile or so away from the strip. Arriving traffic would remain above 100 agl until over the fence and land long, often overflying departing traffic. To complicate things there were some hi voltage wires about 1/4 mile off the departure end so these guys were flying under the wires on departure.

Land 27, takeoff 09 with ground crew doing the talking to coordinate.

I had the pleasure of meeting a long time aerial applicator. In his early 40's, he had 27,000TT with most of that SE turbine. He had totalled 7 a/c in that time.

I had the pleasure of meeting a long time aerial applicator. In his early 40's, he had 27,000TT with most of that SE turbine. He had totalled 7 a/c in that time.[/QUOTE]

Is this pilot overdue, really lucky, or what ?

Speed said:
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 32033 Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, ARROW, WARRIOR, ACHER, D
Date: 03/19/2005 Time: 1500

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
PILOT WAS TRAINING STUDENT. HE SIMULATED AN ENGINE OUT AND WHEN HE PULLED UP THE WING THE TIP HIT A HIGH TENSION WIRE. THE WINDSHIELD WAS CRACKED AND THE WING TIP BROKE OFF. ACFT LANDED SAFELY. MINOR HEAD INJURY TO THE STUDENT. EASTMAN, GA

WEATHER: NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY.

I believe this is the student of a friend. CFI was pretty upset about it, although I am not sure if there is more to the story or not.

Brian,

I had that instructor for a few hours while I was training. I cut him loose and got someone else after approx 10-15 hrs. Thought he was just too dangerous. As it turns out I was right.

Astills:)

Back