Too late for Medical Reform

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
With GA on a death spiral will medical reform help or is it too late.

Medical reform was never the answer to begin with. The death spiral is a result of younger generations not getting into aviation. Medical reform only lengthened the spiral.

And I couldn't disagree more. I think GA is on the upswing (after a long decline) I see a lot of younger pilots around too. Flight schools are constantly turning out new ratings. CubCrafters just released the first part 23 certified piston single in 12 years and sales are doing very well and Oshkosh has been having record attendance.

Last edited:
The only segment of GA not in a death spiral and seems to be expanding is in the experimental homebuilt aircraft. Not everybody wants to spend the next five years building a plane in the spare time or even want to do so. Flight schools in some parts of the country are doing a good business but those students are training for airline jobs and after training and get a job with the airlines will probably not have anything to do with GA. So what is the future of GA is it going the same way as Europe or just a thing of the past that will never be as it was.

I'm still kinda scratching my head on this whole med reform stuff. I just don't see wtf that's gonna do for GA overall.
One thing it will do is get grandpa back in the air for flights with his grandchildren. It could spark more interest. That could be a topic for another thread.

Medical reform was never the answer to begin with. The death spiral is a result of younger generations not getting into aviation. Medical reform only lengthened the spiral.

I've got 10-12 kids showing up Saturday for four hours building an Ultra-Lite Pietenpol earning credits that will be applied against the rental of a C-150 for training and CFI's ready to donate some time. No real interest by youth today. ;)

If anything requiring a medical gave aviation a shot in the arm. Without that there would be no where near the amount of new airplanes as most of them now are LSA.
I've got 10-12 kids showing up Saturday for four hours building an Ultra-Lite Pietenpol earning credits that will be applied against the rental of a C-150 for training and CFI's ready to donate some time. No real interest by youth today. ;)

How about your report back when all 12 kids finish their PPL? Showing interest and actually going through with it are two totally different stories. Every kid with a toy airplane has shown interest in aviation. And sorry, but 10-12 kids will not make up for the attrition rate of older pilots.

I'm still kinda scratching my head on this whole med reform stuff. I just don't see wtf that's gonna do for GA overall.

I see some issues, such as a former studen of mine that told me only after he failed his medical he was on anti-depressants and ADD meds. Now this guy can continue getting his ratings and never disclose it. My understanding is this guy can go to his family physician and get approval, and his family physician having zero knowledge of his issues.

I see some issues, such as a former studen of mine that told me only after he failed his medical he was on anti-depressants and ADD meds. Now this guy can continue getting his ratings and never disclose it. My understanding is this guy can go to his family physician and get approval, and his family physician having zero knowledge of his issues.

Not with a failed medical on his record.

Sometimes GA seems to be a death of a thousand cuts. Expenses everywhere you look, and for all you know there is some horrible defect in YOUR airplane that makes it an unairworthy piece of junk. Hanging over everything is that visit to the AME that can easily end it all for some utter BS. My buddy has to go get tested for sleep apnea. I can tell you he doesn't have it, but because of some boxes checked on a form he has to spend time and coin to do it. I could get snagged easily for color blindness. No, I'm not color blind, but you shouldn't have me pick out the curtains either. In the right light I could peg the test. And don't get me started on what I had to go through for my gout.

With the medical reform there's one less cut. That's how I look at it. Will that bring GA back from the brink? I doubt it. But that coupled with part 23 reform, so those who want to repair their own machines can do so; and those who want non-certified avionics can use them. Will that be enough? Perhaps, and perhaps not. All I can say is if things continue the way they are I don't expect GA to outlive me.

Still opens the door for someone similar to him that hasn't gone for or failed a medical to start flying.

You have to have passed a third class medical in the previous 10 years or you're still sport pilot only.

[snip]
With the medical reform there's one less cut. That's how I look at it. Will that bring GA back from the brink? I doubt it. But that coupled with part 23 reform, so those who want to repair their own machines can do so; and those who want non-certified avionics can use them. Will that be enough? Perhaps, and perhaps not. All I can say is if things continue the way they are I don't expect GA to outlive me.

Nailed it Steingar. It can't fix the demographics, but it will help a little.

Still opens the door for someone similar to him that hasn't gone for or failed a medical to start flying.

not from what I gather, you still need an initial medical and the FAA is pretty serious about taking Adderral or the like.

You have to get involved,rather than talk about it,I do young Eagles,belong to an Eaa group,that sponsors ,cook outs and pancake breakfasts.talk aviation with anyone who will listen.

And I couldn't disagree more. I think GA is on the upswing (after a long decline) I see a lot of younger pilots around too. Flight schools are constantly turning out new ratings. CubCrafters just released the first part 23 certified piston single in 12 years and sales are doing very well and Oshkosh has been having record attendance.
Guessing you have a good feel for this since you fit that demographic. ;)

I've never posted a poll before but I'm thinking about it.

Guessing you have a good feel for this since you fit that demographic. ;)

I've never posted a poll before but I'm thinking about it.
I will say I see tons of 50+ year old pilots and a surprisingly large amount under 30. I don't see very many in their 30's or 40's though. Maybe they're just busy with life to be out at the airport?

I will say I see tons of 50+ year old pilots and a surprisingly large amount under 30. I don't see very many in their 30's or 40's though. Maybe they're just busy with life to be out at the airport?
I think that's a reasonable explanation.

If anything requiring a medical gave aviation a shot in the arm. Without that there would be no where near the amount of new airplanes as most of them now are LSA.

How about your report back when all 12 kids finish their PPL? Showing interest and actually going through with it are two totally different stories. Every kid with a toy airplane has shown interest in aviation. And sorry, but 10-12 kids will not make up for the attrition rate of older pilots.

Don't know if I could live in your pessimistic world. I do know nothing will happen if those of us in aviation now do nothing to get young folks excited about it. I'll keep on working at it, thanks.

I think the medical reform may help, but having to have a non-AME doctor approve you for flight may be a little bit of a problem. I think one of the biggest problems is the cost. Along with that the possibility of not being able to fly your $75,000 mission-oriented airplane because of a legal medicine your non-AME doctor prescribed. A few year ago, I would have purchased a more expensive airplane than the one I own now, but I am eligible for AARP and decided it might not be the wisest thing to do. The root problem I think is over regulation. It drives the cost up and creates problems for many of us.

You sir, deserve a pat on the back. Nicely done.

Don't know if I could live in your pessimistic world. I do know nothing will happen if those of us in aviation now do nothing to get young folks excited about it. I'll keep on working at it, thanks.

It's not pessimistic it's seeing the reality. I never said to stop doing what you are doing as I think young eagles is a great idea and have done some flights my self. The harsh reality though is that young eagles is just a free airplane ride for most (nothing wrong with that). Most young adults that get their pilots license between 16 and 18 are ones who have a family member who already flies. My opinion is that young eagles are targeting too narrow of a group, or there needs to be another program for older kids/young adults. The age cutoff is 17 right? How many 17 year olds have the means to pay for flight lessons much less the dedication to complete them? Some organization needs to take the initiative to go after the post college age people. The ones who can likely afford the cost of lessons and an airplane and have matured enough to dedicate the time to studying.

How many 17 year olds have the means to pay for flight lessons much less the dedication to complete them?

I did it at 19. Three crappy jobs and little sleep. Easy to do at 19, too. Wouldn't attempt that now.

I think the med reform gives a mild boost to a few older guys like me who have let the med lapse for a few years, however I was just quoted $150 an hour for a 172 out here in SoCal. The thought of $2+ flying out the window per MINUTE for a few runs around the pattern just isn't gonna happen. Especially true since we just rented the same machines for $55 in the late 90's. Rich mans game locks out the starry eyed kids who can't lean on the airport fence anymore. I flew out of KPOC when both patterns had 5+ planes going, I actually had to go into a holding pattern one day with a little haze and lower viz. Now after getting the LAWA treatment the place is like a ghost town............

It's not pessimistic it's seeing the reality. I never said to stop doing what you are doing as I think young eagles is a great idea and have done some flights my self. The harsh reality though is that young eagles is just a free airplane ride for most (nothing wrong with that). Most young adults that get their pilots license between 16 and 18 are ones who have a family member who already flies. My opinion is that young eagles are targeting too narrow of a group, or there needs to be another program for older kids/young adults. The age cutoff is 17 right? How many 17 year olds have the means to pay for flight lessons much less the dedication to complete them? Some organization needs to take the initiative to go after the post college age people. The ones who can likely afford the cost of lessons and an airplane and have matured enough to dedicate the time to studying.

Hence why we are providing the credits to be used for airplane rental and the CFI's donating time.

Back