Tony soaring XC today

wby0nder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Michael
Tony C and his Cherokee left Ames around 1pm today heading SE with the wind in moderate to good soaring conditions. As of 1:40 he was crossing I80 just east of DsM. Potentially he could continue until around 6 pm which could get him as far as NE Missouri perhaps breaking the state distance record of 233 sm.

I'm listening to him talk to his crew from my home base station. At 1:48 he reported soaring with cornstalks at 6000. (probably corn leaves)

Dog speed Cherokee Kid!

MM

Those crazy college kids! ;)

Can't wait to hear the story on this one!

Flying with corn leaves? Sounds a bit early for that to this non-farmer. A drove past a field where the corn is only now coming up.

So....how far did he go?

the corn leaves were left over from last year, probably stirred up by spring tillage.

The flight was really good. I got off tow in some pretty good lift, and got up around 6000 feet before departing to the south of Ames. I was definitely hopeful for a good day after about a 400 fpm climb at the airport. I did declare a goal to somewhere in MO that wouldve given me the state record. I was never really confident that I would be able to make it there but figured what the heck might as well have a goal.

After departing the airport I cruised for about 15 miles before picking up another thermal. along the way lost around 2000 feet. caught another nice strong thermal, which seemed well organized and was generally easy to stay in. I veered to the east a little to make sure I avoided Des Moines Class C airspace and saw a few airplanes out flying around. Heard a train as well. As I passed directly east of Des Moines I caught the best thermal of the day (for me). It was so incredibly good that I was even able to stay in it while turning to the right! The vario was wobbling between 600 and 1000 fpm up for most of the time in the circle and I felt like I was on an elevator. That is where I saw the corn leaves, mistakenly reported as cornstalks.

I continued to the south, over Red Rock Lake and in the general direction of Knoxville. caught a few more good thermals with strong climb rates, but also suffered from the associated sink. I eventually found myself down around 1500 AGL headed towards a large area of black fields followed by some not so friendly creek bed and trees. I decided that if I was going to get some lift it was going to come off the fields and otherwise I was going to have to land. I worked all over the fields but couldnt find anything that would give me a lift so down I came and landed in a nice uphill area that had been recently tilled but not planted yet.

I made a quick call to Matt and my crew and took a few pictures. no one was home at the house I landed by so I walked down the road to get another landing witness for my Silver Distance application. The old fellow was really friendly and came down to check out the glider and helped derig in the field. That was really appreciated as the wind made it somewhat challenging.

All in all it was a great day. Probably didnt take full advantage of all the soaring that couldve happened but any day that I get to land out and make it back for supper is a good day.

Here are some pictures from the day. The only in flight photo was crossing red rock lake. thats a lot of water to be over without an engine!

http://picasaweb.google.com/cherokee373Y/Soaring51808

Great write up and pics, Tony. How far did you make it, then? How high in that "best thermal of the day"? And, that's cool you "heard a train"... that's not something us powered-flight folks can say, unless something bad's about to happen!! ;-)

distance came out to 46 nautical miles. that best thermal took me to about 6100 feet. i probably could have milked it higher but decided to use the altitude already gained for some distance instead of trying to go higher. later in the day Chris Uhl got to nearly 8100 on a local flight in the clubs 2-22.

That is too cool... must be a terrific challenge, trying to nurse it as far as you can... good call on the landing site; pretty hard to beat that spot.

the nice thing about iowa this time of the year is that almost every field is nearly perfect. the crops are way behind from typical years which will hopefully extend our cross country season at least a week or two.

So did you manage to get the barograph to record correctly this time???

well my notch was poor. Ill see if they'll take it for Silver distance. if they wont oh well I guess Ill have to go fly more cross country, aw shucks.

Sounds like a fun day, anyway...how long was the flight?

46 miles is still farther than I've been from the home 'drome in a glider...by close to 40 miles ;)

Fly safe!

David

duration was only about an hour and a half. sure was fun though.

There can be some great midwest soaring in May. Glad you got to take advantage. Thanks for the write-up; may there be many more!

Back