Tomato Smoothie

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
attachment.php

so why would anyone put a smoothie on their hotdog?

Attachments

• d335a95b-3cc0-4dd0-8091-c2ceef7e17f9.jpg
    d335a95b-3cc0-4dd0-8091-c2ceef7e17f9.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 146
For a Tomato Smoothie try this:

Home made Ketchup:Ingredients:
* 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes in purée
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1/2 cup cider vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preparation:

Purée tomatoes (with purée from can) in a blender until smooth.
Cook onion in oil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, and salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally,

until very thick, about 1 hour (stir more frequently toward end of cooking to prevent scorching).
Purée ketchup in 2 batches in blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Chill, covered, at

least 2 hours (for flavors to develop).
Ketchup can be chilled up to 3 weeks.

REALLY good. I'll never buy ketchup again.

so why would anyone put a smoothie on their hotdog?
The only approved condiments for hot dogs are:
mustard
celery salt
tomato slices
dill pickle slices
pickle relish
sport peppers

Sauerkraut is sometimes acceptable, depending on the type of hot dog and whether or not it will be eaten in Wisconsin.

mustard
celery salt
tomato slices
dill pickle slices
pickle relish
sport peppers

Sauerkraut is sometimes acceptable, depending on the type of hot dog and whether or not it will be eaten in Wisconsin.
Darn straight!!

There are some people here, I don't to name names, but they are from Cheeseland and New York, who seem to think that ketchup is an acceptable condiment on hotdogs for people above the age of 5 years old. It is so sad to see people so completely ignorant of frankfurter gastronomic construction. :D:D:D:D

mustard
celery salt
tomato slices
dill pickle slices
pickle relish
sport peppers

You forgot onions.

You forgot onions.
And onions.

I'm actually in central Wisconsin right now, so I would like to add that ketchup has no place on bratwurst either.

For a Tomato Smoothie try this:

Home made Ketchup:Ingredients:
* 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes in purée
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1/2 cup cider vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preparation:

Purée tomatoes (with purée from can) in a blender until smooth.
Cook onion in oil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, and salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally,

until very thick, about 1 hour (stir more frequently toward end of cooking to prevent scorching).
Purée ketchup in 2 batches in blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Chill, covered, at

least 2 hours (for flavors to develop).
Ketchup can be chilled up to 3 weeks.

REALLY good. I'll never buy ketchup again.

I would suggest adding:

1-2 tsp Nuom Chuc (Fish sauce)
1/2 tsp powdered kelp
1/8 tsp all spice

Heinz, the gold standard commercial ketchup, has a dash of fermentation on it that adds a unique umami dimension to the ketchup. The above ingredients replicate that "snap tang" without introducing off flavors normally associated with the ingredients.

In one day, back in 2008, I made approximately 5 gallons of ketchup, in 2-3 quart test batches. Playing food scientist with a friend at his restaurant.

Cheers,

-Andrew

mustard
celery salt
tomato slices
dill pickle slices
pickle relish
sport peppers

Sauerkraut is sometimes always acceptable, depending on the type of hot dog and whether or not it will be eaten in Wisconsin., unless you are a food hypocrite from Chicago, then you should just stick to eating tomato-meat-cheesecake.

Of course, add onions to the mix.

Cheers,

-Andrew

:D It's a joke, son.

I'm right there with you on the Chicago deep dish pizza. It's for tourists.
The Chicago school of hot dog toppings, however, constitutes the highest expression of the hot dog arts.
It goes beyond the classic toppings. We are hot dog innovators in Chicago, too.
Check out Hot Doug's. Sheer brilliance.

My in-laws made a batch of homemade ketchup a couple of years ago and canned it. We just opened our last can a few weeks ago.

It's better than anything store-bought!

I would suggest adding:

1/2 tsp powdered kelp
1/8 tsp all spice

-Andrew

Hmmm... this sounds, like, well - healthy! since I pretty much run on caffeine, nictotine, fat and cholesterol I'm not sure if this is the way I'd need to go. :D

Gary

mmm ketchup on hotdogs and brats. yummmmmmm.

Hmmm... this sounds, like, well - healthy! since I pretty much run on caffeine, nictotine, fat and cholesterol I'm not sure if this is the way I'd need to go. :D

Gary

If we have time at the Fly-B-Que (we won't, who in the heck am I kidding) -- I'll do a side-by-side of three ketchup blends, one "standard", one "fermented", and one "faux-mented"

Arguably, the latter (using a fermented adjunct versus fermenting the tomatoes directly) is more historically accurate, if you believe the ke-chap theory of where ketchup came from.

Cheers,

-Andrew

If we have time at the Fly-B-Que (we won't, who in the heck am I kidding) -- I'll do a side-by-side of three ketchup blends, one "standard", one "fermented", and one "faux-mented"

-Andrew

Look forward to that!!

Gary

Mustard
Chili
Onions
Cheese
It is even good without the dog!

Kent if you have ever had Thai or Vietnamese food you very likely were eating things that used fish sauce. It is a ubiquitous ingredient in their cuisine.

Fish sauce is awesome stuff. I think many Americans get freaked out by its name-- it's usually an ingredient, not a "sauce" like we normally use the term. As a straight "sauce," like a Bearnaise, for example, it would be unpalatable to the average American (myself included).
But as an ingredient, it's great. Food historians suspect that it is the closest surviving cousin of the ancient Roman sauce Garum, which was used similarly.
The closest that Anglophone cuisine comes to fish sauce is Worcestershire sauce, which also contains anchovy paste.

Hmm.... well, I like mustard, ketchup, and a lot of the other stuff mentioned above. One thing not listed is good barbeque sauce... which is also good on a hotdog.

Ryan

Hmm.... well, I like mustard, ketchup, and a lot of the other stuff mentioned above. One thing not listed is good barbeque sauce... which is also good on a hotdog.

IMO, BBQ sauce is a great substitute for (and much better than) ketchup. :yes:

Although some brands are pretty worthless... Still better than most ketchup.

And Scott says I'm the guy that likes ketchup.

I would suggest adding:

1/2 tsp powdered kelp
1/8 tsp all spice

-Andrew
The first two might be a little difficult to find in rural North Carolina, but I'll look.

In the meantime Agatha won't use any ketchup other than mine now. I've created a monster.

It's really good on hot dogs and brats.:D

Also...

Ketchup is good on a ham sandwich! If you don't have a good 'ol Better Boy tomato to put on it, ketchup will help fill the void. (temporarily of course)

Ketchup:

OK -
burgers
fries (unless I'm at a BBQ joint, then the dippin' stuff is the BBQ sauce)
eggs (in moderation, except I normally use 'basco)

Not OK -
dogs (mustard, onions, chili, relish, cheese, whatever, but no cat-soup)
brats (mustard & onions)

ketchup on fries, brats, and hot dogs. yum!

The first two might be a little difficult to find in rural North Carolina, but I'll look.

In the meantime Agatha won't use any ketchup other than mine now. I've created a monster.

It's really good on hot dogs and brats.:D

I know you can get it down RDU way; if you're ever up here (RIC), I'll grab a bottle for you.

We had a pal from Bradislava for whom we made French toast. He asked for ketchup. It turns out Eastern Europeans eat it savory, so ketchup made sense. But at the time we were somewhat taken aback.

OK -
Baked on top of meatloaf

Not OK -
dogs
brats
chicken
As a substitute for spaghetti sauce - my nephew liked that until he was about 10.

I know you can get it down RDU way; if you're ever up here (RIC), I'll grab a bottle for you.
I try not to go to the RDU area any more than I absolutely have to anymore. Rural Western NC for me now. :goofy:

But, if I am in the area I'll see what I can find.

Thanks

When we did a move a few years back, we made a point to leave the fish sauce behind, because you do not want that fish sauce spilling in the car!

Which reminds me, if you REALLY hate someone, dump some fish sauce in their vents in the car!

Back