Told Sprint to bite me ... and they did!

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Arghhhh..... On Nov 1 I told Sprint to "bite me, we're off to T-Mobile."

They did. Hard.

In October, my son's phone started literally falling apart; buttons, keys, switches, screen flaking out, etc. Stopped by a Sprint store to find out what could be done, and 2 different representatives in 2 different stores said "On Nov. 1 you've fulfilled your contract and you're eligible for a new phone." So, Nov 1 rolls around and we get new phones... just from T-Mobile, not Sprint, and port our numbers to T-Mobile. A couple of weeks later we get a bill from Sprint with $450 in cancellation fees - $150 each for 3 numbers.

So, through numerous phone calls, I now find out that Sprint allows a free phone at 22 months; 2 months shy of the end of the 24 month contract. How that translates to "You've completed your contract." - the exact phrase that both reps used is beyond me - stinks of deceptive marketing practice to me.

But hey, shame on me for not digging out my original contract paperwork and verifying the date. Shame on me for taking a Sprint representative's word that my contract was fulfilled. My fault. Still seriously ****es me off, tho.

Arghhhh..... On Nov 1 I told Sprint to "bite me, we're off to T-Mobile."

They did. Hard.

In October, my son's phone started literally falling apart; buttons, keys, switches, screen flaking out, etc. Stopped by a Sprint store to find out what could be done, and 2 different representatives in 2 different stores said "On Nov. 1 you've fulfilled your contract and you're eligible for a new phone." So, Nov 1 rolls around and we get new phones... just from T-Mobile, not Sprint, and port our numbers to T-Mobile. A couple of weeks later we get a bill from Sprint with $450 in cancellation fees - $150 each for 3 numbers.

So, through numerous phone calls, I now find out that Sprint allows a free phone at 22 months; 2 months shy of the end of the 24 month contract. How that translates to "You've completed your contract." - the exact phrase that both reps used is beyond me - stinks of deceptive marketing practice to me.

But hey, shame on me for not digging out my original contract paperwork and verifying the date. Shame on me for taking a Sprint representative's word that my contract was fulfilled. My fault. Still seriously ****es me off, tho.

Reminds me of a friend who was in a dogfight with a Sprint rep who reminded him that he'd have to pay the cancellation fees if he switched providers. His response was something along the lines of....

"Son, I've bought upwards of ten houses in my lifetime. I don't have any credit cards and don't see myself needing any some time soon. You can send me a bill, but the only way it'll get paid is if somebody sends you a check after I'm in a casket."

I hate Sprint. They've jerked me and Junelle around endlessly. Fortunately, we moved to any area that gets NO coverage from them, so they had to let us go without cancellation fees. I think once they get your personal info, you pretty much have to die for them to f--k off...and even then I can't guarantee that they won't be leaving leaflets on your headstone.

I had Sprint for a long time. I loved their phones, and their coverage (mostly along highways, which was awesome for me). Their customer service was enough to drive me further and further away. When it came time to start at T-Mo, I called Sprint to cancel my service, and they offered me the world....in a super condescending way, making sure to mention my early termination fee after every sentence.

I hate Sprint. I paid the ETF just to get away.

There's a technique to get the cell phone provider to cancel YOU early, provided you have unlimited roaming.

You just find a spot where they don't have coverage but ma and pa rural bell, does. Then use the phone for hours from there.

Your home provider has to pay the $1-$2 a minute roaming to the remote provider. Use enough of those minutes, costing them enough $$ and they'll invite you to cancel.

Last edited:
Hmmm... With my nomadic nature, maybe I can do that with my data card. Sprint has been ticking me off as well. It'll be worth it to eat the $200 and go over to Cingular. Oh, and my card stays connected almost 24 hours a day while I'm in the States.

I read yesterday that Sprint had unilaterally canceled the contracts of about 1000 customers who called customer service too often. I guess they got sick of the complaints. I don't recall if Sprint levied a fee with the cancellation. Probably not.

See, it does pay to complain.

You just find a spot where they don't have coverage but ma and pa rural bell, does. Then use the phone for hours from there.

One company was canceling customers unilaterally (you know your contract says they can, don't you? -And that you can't do similarily.) when there was some ownership change in some of the cell towers here - all of a sudden there was roaming charge to the new company in certain towns, so they just cut people off.

PS Greg, sorry to hear of the knife-twisting. What I can't figure out is why such companies don't realize that people might spread the word of terrible conduct - they will lose way more than 450$ of income when people you tell decide to never, ever use them over this.

made another phone call yesterday, number 6 or 7 since this started. The rep on the previous call said "he was bound by business rules and could not do anything about the Early Termination Fee." (ETF) The best he could do was a $70 credit towards service costs on the one remaining line.

Today the rep says she's authorized to negotiate a 50% reduction of the ETF. She also suggested I go back to the store(s) and talk to the rep(s) about the "miscommunication" regarding their statement of the "contract obligation is fulfilled" and see if the store is willing to make some restitution.

Digging around on the net, there's a ton of hits regarding Sprint and their ETF policies. Found one article that says starting in early 2008, Sprint will adopt Verizon's policy of a pro-rated ETF. Makes sense to me - I was 22 months into a 24 month contract - they've recovered their cost of doing business and equipment rebates already.

To add insult to injury, there's a $22 charge on my son's line for "casual data usage" and he has no idea what that might be.

Back