Today's "gas cans" - seem to be a joke

I'm denying "they" are in a conspiracy to make less durable things to increase profits by selling the same items multiple times. I'm not defending corporations.

I'm denying that planned obsolescence is due to a conspiracy, but rather the natural result of what most people are willing to pay for things.
It goes both ways. A corporation could choose to offer both options, and sell the benefits of the more durable product. I never said it was a conspiracy, but when the policy is in place pretty much across the board of their spectrum of products, it is certainly a policy, and not an accident. That, sir, is not a conspiracy, but a factual observation, and yes, because of where I live, if I "need" something in a timely manner, it's often Walmart or another similar store that I go to.

It goes both ways. A corporation could choose to offer both options, and sell the benefits of the more durable product.

Walmart seems to have been pretty successful understanding that their customers want cheap, non-durable things. They are, in fact, the highest grossing company in the US by taking that approach.

Amazon, OTOH, has decided to let anyone sell anything, including durable metal gas cans, and is #2.

And Apple is #3 making premium items that people value highly.

So, sure, apparently all those models are viable. Just saying it's not a conspiracy that Walmart isn't selling metal gas cans in order to sell more plastic ones over time.

I never said it was a conspiracy, but when the policy is in place pretty much across the board of their spectrum of products, it is certainly a policy, and not an accident. That, sir, is not a conspiracy, but a factual observation, and yes, because of where I live, if I "need" something in a timely manner, it's often Walmart or another similar store that I go to.

Ok, if you want to modify your comment, that's fine. But "They don't want you to buy a forever one, they really want you to come back in a few years." is definitely conspiratorial.

Metal gas cans will allways be available. It's federally mandated. Don't believe me? Just let OSHA show up at the jobsite and find a plastic fuel can, They will quickly educate you as to the error of your ways.

Ok, if you want to modify your comment, that's fine. But "They don't want you to buy a forever one, they really want you to come back in a few years." is definitely conspiratorial.
No it's not. That you projecting.

I agree most of the plastic cans that are sold are awful. I tried metal gas cans (harbor freight sells a good one), but, got sick of that real quick. They are too heavy.

The best I've found are these: SureCan 5 gallon

I have 8 of them that I've been using for well over five years now. They fill anything rapidly. The fuel hose stays clean with the cap. They never leak. Very easy to fill about anything without spilling a drop. A guy can order spare parts for them, but, I've never needed to. Pulling the level to activate it both: 1.) opens the valve at the bottom, 2.) opens a vent at the top.

Really it's the best of all worlds. A fully sealed gas can that properly vents itself automatically whenever you drain fuel out of it.

Worked great with the boat or airplanes. I'd sit the can on a surface slightly above the gas tank I am filling, use a small clip to hold the trigger down, and make it totally hands free.

I was never sold on VP racing, too much work, you have to fiddle with the vent and cap, and you can't sit the can down and make it hands free. It requires you hold the thing and pay attention to the angle/what you are doing. Turn it completely vertical and gas comes out the vent.

As much as that all seems like lazy nitpicking, if you are filling 8 gas cans worth of fuel in one go, these details make a huge difference and save a lot of muscle work.

Last edited:
Make life easy on yourself ...

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fu...dp/B084BTSMY8/ref=psdc_15707861_t1_B003TTYUHS

51XuOvEJEiL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Seen these marketed under different brands/names but yeah this is the way. I've tried the replacement spouts and such and they tend to not fit well/leak.

I agree most of the plastic cans that are sold are awful. I tried metal gas cans (harbor freight sells a good one), but, got sick of that real quick. They are too heavy.
The best I've found are these: https://www.amazon.com/Surecan-Venting-Gasoline-Container-Rotating/dp/B098839WQPs ...
You have an extra trailing 's' on the URL. Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/Surecan-Venting-Gasoline-Container-Rotating/dp/B098839WQP

Even better, try this:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Surecan-...ine-container-rotating,aps,707&ref=nb_sb_noss

I have used fuel cans like this before...

09119.jpg

but they didn't work very well on lawn mowers...

Back