Today,

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
I became a licensed pilot. Just thought I should let all you folks know.

Ended up breaking the practical test into two days, the oral part was yesterday, but we hopped in the plane and did a lap around the pattern...the wind was beyond the demonstrated crosswind capability of the plane though, so we rescheduled for the next morning...very early the next morning. (landing was fine though, windsock was fully inflated in a direct crosswind...windy day in central PA yesterday)

So yeah, got up at 430 this morning, airport by 6, killed some time, and the examiner showed up at 620. Told me to preflight and we got out of there. Didn't ask me to repeat anything, no comments really. My maneuvers were well within the PTS. He was especially impressed with my soft field landing, it was textbook. On final one of times in the pattern he said "there are naked girls on the runway" so I went around...at about 500 feet, he said "why did you go around?"
"well there were naked girls on the runway, and we didn't want to run them over"
"naked girls? I'm landing."

Normal landing after that, and then he told me to taxi back down the hill and to the ramp. After shut down, I asked him how I did, and he said I passed. Thanked him very much, shook his hand, and then we took care of my temp. certificate. Got out of the plane as my dad comes walking over with a big grin on his face, the examiner said "You know it's scary...he flies better than you do!"

So that's my story. Father/son CFII/student(well private pilot now) with 56 or so hours logged. Really looking forward to sharing aviation with friends/coworkers/whoever will fly with me.

(picture with my DE)

sch0mb.jpg

Take care everyone :)

(also posted at the purple board)

Last edited:
Congratulations! Welcome to the pack.

Nice job. Now you've got that license to learn. Go have some fun!

YAHOO!!!

(ps, your photographer might have chosen a shot that does not have smoke billowing from the airplane!)

CONGRATULATIONS ! Sounds like you even enjoyed yourself too.

:rofl: Todd didn't pull the naked girls one on me, he just gave me the standard deer on the runway. He must have added that!

Congrats!

You must have "smoked" that checkride. :hairraise:

Congrats and enjoy!:thumbsup:

Congratulations!

And with the conditions you described, a 10' low pass to check runway conditions would have been warranted! :)

Awesome. You lucky SOB - I think I was easily more than 2x your age before I got the chance. :wink2:

Keep going - you have a great head start. Congratulations.

Awesome. You lucky SOB - I think I was easily more than 2x your age before I got the chance. :wink2:

Keep going - you have a great head start. Congratulations.

And you were married so you lost out on everything that Pilot Mojo can could do for your love life.:cornut:

Congratulations! Glad to see another young pilot getting a good start. Looking forward to meeting you sometime, maybe a lunch run to someplace half way,.. Lancaster or something.

Now drag your dad out to the Wings FlyBQ and maybe Windwood,... getting together with other pilots is a lot of fun! and the flying is great!

Congratulations! Glad to see another young pilot getting a good start. Looking forward to meeting you sometime, maybe a lunch run to someplace half way,.. Lancaster or something.

Now drag your dad out to the Wings FlyBQ and maybe Windwood,... getting together with other pilots is a lot of fun! and the flying is great!

Lancaster sounds great, how's the restaurant there? I'm sure my dad would come along on a lunch run somewhere.

Also, this is kind of a shot in the dark, but would anyone know if there's a tailwheel airplane for rent in central PA? Piper Cub, Citabria, whatever. I would just love to learn to fly a tailwheel.

Grats!

Glad to see a fellow young person getting their PPL. I got mine 3 months ago, when I was 17, July 10th, One week before my 18th B-day.

Grats!

Glad to see a fellow young person getting their PPL. I got mine 3 months ago, when I was 17, July 10th, One week before my 18th B-day.

That's great! I was checkride ready at the end of June, but I ended up working every single day of August to pick up the slack of the other cook that got fired...plane availability and maintenance dragged on for another month, but I finally got it done.

Wish I would've had a little foresight though, I could've spent the paychecks on flying instead of another 3wheeler, one that I don't even have the time to ride now.

Lancaster sounds great, how's the restaurant there? I'm sure my dad would come along on a lunch run somewhere.

I like it just fine. Lancaster is one of my favorite places to go on a short XC to show people what it's like to fly in a small plane. Good food, short trip, and a visit to the pilot shop are all good reasons to go.

CONGRATULATIONS Fellow PILOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys in PA want to set up a lunch date for a fall foliage mini-fly-In: post it up and I am sure a bunch of us would be glad to fly to Lancaster to hangout and tell lies and such.

CONGRATULATIONS Fellow PILOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys in PA want to set up a lunch date for a fall foliage mini-fly-In: post it up and I am sure a bunch of us would be glad to fly to Lancaster to hangout and tell lies and such.

That would be great, I know we have a fair number of PA flyers on this forum. We'll have to look into that!

Back