Today My First Solo Low Wing!!!

Careful you don't accidently switch the tanks to "OFF" while flying at night.
I think Archers come with a fuel valve that has a latch, so instead one must train in switching the fuel off in case of a fire. It cannot be accidentially turned to "Off" and certain contortions are required to affect it. Kim's lead picture exhibits one, although it's unclear if it is the aircraft in question or just a generic Archer.

2400' at Sea Level is real short?:rofl: Gotta love Californians.
You can make a short field landing on a 10,000 ft runway in a Sky Catcher. In fact you can make several without turning if you want.

Heck, I thought the thread was about not being able to keep your wings level while landing.
Keep up the good work.

Glenn

Still have not flown a low wing myself yet. I want to give it a try just for variety but everywhere around hear mostly rents 172's. Seems like the ground effect bonus would make for smoother landings and make impressing the passengers a little easier.

The low wing doesn't make much difference unless your approach speed is too fast.

But Pipers have oleo struts on the main gear, and that matters a lot.

I like the Archer very much though my New Years Day flight was in the 150 because:

1. I thought we were bombing (way easier in the 150)

2. The owner of the Archer had it and the flight school was closed. I got the keys to the 150 because the flight school owns the 150. The Archer is a leaseback.

So I had 2 check out flights in the Archer with a CFI until I passed his inspection, the first flight he was not a happy camper.

(These flights were about 2-4 days apart during time off from work for the holidays)

And then I had 1 final flight in the Archer directly after my check out since he still had major concerns that I was landing too darned flat. Sure enough, soft landing when solo, but it was kinda flat. Oh well, more to think about and work on. I will get better.

And then I had 1 final flight in the Archer directly after my check out since he still had major concerns that I was landing too darned flat.
So if the engine quits on final, you'll land short. Big deal. BTW, do simulated engine outs and you'll feel how it glides (not quite like a brick, or even an ultralight). Remember that in Space Shuttle Simulation Aircraft they glide with thrust reversers on. Now that's a dive. This? Not much of a dive.

So if the engine quits on final, you'll land short. Big deal. BTW, do simulated engine outs and you'll feel how it glides (not quite like a brick, or even an ultralight). Remember that in Space Shuttle Simulation Aircraft they glide with thrust reversers on. Now that's a dive. This? Not much of a dive.

Why would I land short? I was talking about lack of flare during the final seconds of landing. AKA flat landings.

Sometimes landing short isn't an option... I've been taught to try to only make power REDUCTIONS when landing. It put it in terms for me that I *got* so I wasn't flailing all over final getting too low/high and getting it more stabilized...

KSEZ is up on a table mesa.. I wouldn't want to land short there...

Pete, I don't think that's the point.

Landing flat = landing too fast (too little flare). Not too gradual an approach angle.

The sight picture is different than for a Cessna, so it is VERY easy to flare late during the transition. I'd argue that that's the most significant part of it (it's not THAT bad, but it needs to be looked at, and it seems it was).

I had the opposite problem. In a Warrior, full flap, idle power, and holding off until the stall horn blows will cause you to plop in as you run out of elevator authority. It works better if you let up on any one of those variables, even a little. It's not so bad on an Archer.

Pete, I don't think that's the point.

Landing flat = landing too fast (too little flare). Not too gradual an approach angle.

The sight picture is different than for a Cessna, so it is VERY easy to flare late during the transition. I'd argue that that's the most significant part of it (it's not THAT bad, but it needs to be looked at, and it seems it was).

I had the opposite problem. In a Warrior, full flap, idle power, and holding off until the stall horn blows will cause you to plop in as you run out of elevator authority. It works better if you let up on any one of those variables, even a little. It's not so bad on an Archer.

Agree with most all of the above. I think that it is more point #2 that causes flat attitude landings all other things being equal. And yeah, it was a fine line between making a good flare, and running out of authority and going too far.

Welcome to the world of flying where you actually see the sky! Plus, ground effect is much better, too! :)

Who needs to see the sky? I can see that from the ground!

Those low wings are sexy though...

I only flew the Archer at my FBO once, but I loved the thing. It's more comfortable for me, I like the way it looks, and I like the way it flies.

When I get my tax return or bonus check, I'm going to get checked out in it.

Kimberly beat me to it; kinda.

The one big thing I noticed in my Warrior II checkout after only flying C152/172 was that I couldn't dive bomb to the numbers and just smooth out in the flare. Well, I could, but it wouldn't be as comfortable. My CFI told me before my first landing: "In this plane, you actually have to fly it to the runway.

Apparently I did ok with it, since my checkout only involved three or four landings, some slow flight, and a stall.

Next is the TW stuff and a C120 checkout!

(Oh, and congrats, Kimberly!)

Back