Today My First Solo Low Wing!!!

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I flew this today, after TWO grueling checkout flights (after all, I was a high wing only girl).

Those two flights included:

6 landings
1 go around
REAL short field landing at a nearby 40 x 2400 strip
soft field takeoffs
short field takeoffs
soft field landings
short field landings
crosswind taxi
crosswind takeoff
crosswind landing
steep turns
slow flight
slow flight with turns
simulated emergency landing at altitude (field)
power off 180 to runway (downwind)
departure stall (power on)
power off stall
both of the above stalls with turns
unusual attitudes
and more!

PiperCockpit.jpg

I did ground 3 weeks ago due to bad weather, flew a few days ago, failed, then flew again today.

He was still concerned my landings were flat so I decided while everything was fresh I'd solo.

I have not soloed really in a long time with only two exceptions in two years.

I'm beginning to realize how important solo is. And doing the preflight alone. I am easily distracted so being solo helps me to focus on all the important stuff.

This is a 180hp Piper Archer II and it is a real confidence booster to now fly, and be current in, three different airplanes in the fleet. A Cessna 150, a Cessna 172 with the 180hp kit, and finally a Piper!

piperN40062.jpg

Welcome to the low side... Feels a lot different doesn't it?!

And you get to see the runway turning base to final!

Sounds like a good checkout - discuss airspace and get a flight review sign-off! :D

Jeez Kim, that 'check out' flight reads like taking a check ride for the Commercial.
I would demand a commercial sign off from him.
Maybe even ATP.

And congrats, ya did good.

denny-o

Is it that different to fly low wont as to high wing?

Hell no, the only difference between the two is where your view is blocked and shade. Airplanes are airplanes are airplanes, you can get in any of them and they react the same way to the controls, the physics of flight does not change. The difference to get used to is in the different airfoils and how they react. It's the foil and stabilator that cause the differences between a PA 28 and a 172.

Last edited:
I flew an Archer 2 to SBA a few weeks ago. It has a great useful load. I had two pax and plenty to spare for my son's luggage. It flys just like my Cherokee with a little better climb. Cruise was about the same. Are you going to be using it for traveling?

Welcome to the world of flying where you actually see the sky! Plus, ground effect is much better, too! :)

Very good to get different experiences flying different airplanes. It really helps you as a pilot. Good for you!

You are one step closer to flying an RV now. ;)

:D

Cool stuff. You'll like the ease of the Johnson bar flaps over the electric flaps on a Cessna. Closing the door can be a pain. Careful you don't accidently switch the tanks to "OFF" while flying at night.

Cool stuff. You'll like the ease of the Johnson bar flaps over the electric flaps on a Cessna. Closing the door can be a pain. Careful you don't accidently switch the tanks to "OFF" while flying at night.

Meh, it becomes obvious pretty quick...:lol:;)

Congrats Kimberly! I'm the opposite of you...train in a Cherokee and have only flown a high-wing once so far. Definitely different birds...especially when they stall. LOL.

Have fun!

one just floats alot more since the ground effect is more pronounced - you need to go fly a laminar flow wing [Comanche, et al] and see how much more efficient that wing is and that will force you to control your speed alot better -

Congrats Kim!!

I love flying the low wing instead of the Cessna. Some of my best landings have come in the Cheetah and I'm guessing that's because of ground effect. I'll take the ability to see up and around over straight down any day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So Kim, tell us your thoughts on the Archer. I happen to really like flying them.

I never thought of a runway to be short unless it was less than 1500'
But I heard that some 310 drivers used to consider our runway {22B} to be short [2400' surrounded on all 4 sides by trees up to 50' (but 250-500 ft from the runway) and 1000' MSL].

When I transitioned from Cessnas to an Arrow, I noticed the single door, having to climb onto the wing to gain access, but better view of the tanks for preflight; a little more squirrelly in the air; more float during flare; and a tendency to mush rather than break on departure stalls, but otherwise, no real difference

Don't be full of hate just because we live in a nice place.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Having lived in CA for a decade from the San Diego Bay to the Humbolt Bay and most of the stops between, I can confidently say you are delusional.:rofl::rofl::rofl: You live in a pretty place I will grant, it is the most evil hateful place I have ever lived.:yes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Having lived in CA for a decade from the San Diego Bay to the Humbolt Bay and most of the stops between, I can confidently say you are delusional.:rofl::rofl::rofl: You live in a pretty place I will grant, it is the most evil hateful place I have ever lived.:yes:

That is some true hating. Well, we are getting by fine without you. :confused:

I flew this today, after TWO grueling checkout flights (after all, I was a high wing only girl).

Those two flights included:

6 landings
1 go around
REAL short field landing at a nearby 40 x 2400 strip
soft field takeoffs
short field takeoffs
soft field landings
short field landings
crosswind taxi
crosswind takeoff
crosswind landing
steep turns
slow flight
slow flight with turns
simulated emergency landing at altitude (field)
power off 180 to runway (downwind)
departure stall (power on)
power off stall
both of the above stalls with turns
unusual attitudes
and more!

This CFI probably wanted to spend more time with you

Fuel pump on! ;)

And don't forget to switch tanks.

I like flying in Archers. Not as good for photos, but better at just about everything else.

And FYI, 2400 feet isn't that short. PAO is shorter than that. You can land that sucker in under 1000.

Dang, you did more on your checkout than I did on a 182 checkout and HP endorsement.

I did my Piper checkout in two steps as well -- 2 hours in a Warrior for a mountain checkout, and another hour in a TAA Archer as a more traditional checkout (and quite a bit of that was handling the glass panel). Insurance requires three hours, but it doesn't all have to be on an aircraft checkout!

My first low wing landing was at 8000 feet density altitude, at Big Bear (L35).

Last edited:
Is it that different to fly low wont as to high wing?

No. Even all the numbers are nearly the same. On final at 60 KIAS. An Archer is a bit faster in cruise than a Warrior.

Pipers have manual flaps, positive nosegear steering, and good visibility in the direction you're turning, all of which are improvements over high wing Cessnas. Especially the "parking brake" flaps.

And stalls are extremely subtle.

With just you and an instructor, you should have had little trouble in clean slow flight below the green arc.

Last edited:
Especially the "parking brake" flaps.
When I had access to a Warrior, I had the ocasional passenger ask what the bar between the seats was for.

"Well, watch out the window for a sec and look at the trailing edge of the wing. Did you see the section move down when I pulled pulled the bar upwards? What this allows me to do is get a few extra knots of speed by quickly moving that up and down like a bird does..."

Once their face said they were totally fooled, I'd give up the real explanation.

A V1 cut in an Archer? That would be a trick.

And don't forget to switch tanks.

I like flying in Archers. Not as good for photos, but better at just about everything else.

And FYI, 2400 feet isn't that short. PAO is shorter than that. You can land that sucker in under 1000.

Dang, you did more on your checkout than I did on a 182 checkout and HP endorsement.

I did my Piper checkout in two steps as well -- 2 hours in a Warrior for a mountain checkout, and another hour in a TAA Archer as a more traditional checkout (and quite a bit of that was handling the glass panel). Insurance requires three hours, but it doesn't all have to be on an aircraft checkout!

My first low wing landing was at 8000 feet density altitude, at Big Bear (L35).

How did the Warrior do, coming out of Big Bear. I am thinking about visiting my Dad, who lives there, but I have been worried about the climb capabilities of my Cherokee. I would just have myself in the plane and probably only fuel to the tabs.

How did the Warrior do, coming out of Big Bear. I am thinking about visiting my Dad, who lives there, but I have been worried about the climb capabilities of my Cherokee. I would just have myself in the plane and probably only fuel to the tabs.

At sea level Vy, it SUCKED.

At Vy for altitude, it was fine. Heavier loading. Me, an instructor, and partial fuel. I got 500 FPM up and over the northwest ridge toward Lancaster, once I got the climb speed figured out. In CAS, Vy approaches Vx at the service limit. Vx changes only slightly with altitude.

Keep in mind that Big Bear can get much higher than 8000 feet DA. That corresponds to a "nice" day at field elevation. A hot day can be thousands of feet higher. This time of year should be pretty easy.

If your Cherokee is something more than a Warrior, I wouldn't sweat it. An Archer (for instance) will have no trouble at these altitudes, as you will be very light. And an Arrow has a CS prop -- VERY helpful.

I'll suggest loading your Cherokee as you describe, and just flying up to 10,000 feet to do some slow flight and Vy climbs.

Big Bear does have a rising terrain problem if winds favor rwy 8. Taking off on 26 is completely unobstructed and over the lake.

Most importantly, remember to lean during run-up or you're going to be trying a partial power takeoff. Full rich might be helpful for engine start (but I find it works better if I pull mixture back about an inch), but it's wrong for anything else at these altitudes. This is a very common mistake!

Last edited:
At sea level Vy, it SUCKED.

At Vy for altitude, it was fine. Similar loading. Me, an instructor, and partial fuel. I got 500 FPM up and over the northwest ridge toward Lancaster, once I got the climb speed figured out. In CAS, Vy approaches Vx at the service limit. Vx changes only slightly with altitude.

Keep in mind that Big Bear can get much higher than 8000 feet DA. That corresponds to a "nice" day at field elevation. A hot day can be thousands of feet higher. This time of year should be pretty easy.

If your Cherokee is something more than a Warrior, I wouldn't sweat it. An Archer (for instance) will have no trouble at these altitudes, as you will be very light. And an Arrow has a CS prop -- VERY helpful.

I'll suggest loading your Cherokee as you describe, and just flying up to 10,000 feet to do some slow flight and Vy climbs.

Big Bear does have a rising terrain problem if winds favor rwy 8. Taking off on 26 is completely unobstructed and over the lake.

Most importantly, remember to lean during run-up or you're going to be trying a partial power takeoff. Full rich might be helpful for engine start (but I find it works better if I pull mixture back about an inch), but it's wrong for anything else at these altitudes. This is a very common mistake!

Thanks, it is a standard 150 HP Cherokee 140, so that is why I asked. There is an Arrow and an Archer that I am checked out on at a local FBO, but I would rather take my plane, if I can. I would definately watch the DA temperatures. I would probably just plan on departing in the morning and spending the night, but it would not be in summer.

Still have not flown a low wing myself yet. I want to give it a try just for variety but everywhere around hear mostly rents 172's. Seems like the ground effect bonus would make for smoother landings and make impressing the passengers a little easier.

High wing/low wing meh, just fly a bi plane then you get the best/worst of either. First airplane I owned was a CHerokee 180C with the hershey bar wing. Good cross country cruiser. Don

Back