Tobacco Biofuel for Airplanes

It would be convenient for vapers. Just drain the sump into the e-cig.

Rich

Heard at the pumps.........

You need gas?

Yep, to the tabs please.

You prefer Marlboro or Newport?

Hmm........You got Spirits?

Nope, but we do have the sump tank. Sold by the single ounce, but don't tell anyone. We're only supposed to sell per gallon.

Hmmm.....Ok....Gimme 4 thousand ounces please.

Sure bud...cash only and meet me by the dumpster in 5.

Cool.

Naw.....were sold out of Kool's this week.

I've yet to see a process for lignin destruction that did' consume as much energy as it took that didn't take place outside of cows.

Ya know, this is not news. Bill Clinton ran a Beaver on cigar tobacco. Or something like that. Not really sure. Just something I heard once or twice.

Seems like a waste of good tobaccy.

I'd rather use that land for food or an air strip and get the fuel from all that crude still sitting under the ground, but that's just me. I think like we waste enough fertile land and water water growing gas.

How would you feel about putting tobacco biofuel in your plane?

Biofuel made from biomass is a diesel substitute, right?

It has no place in a gasoline engine for an airplane.

Biofuel made from biomass is a diesel substitute, right?

That is correct. There are ongoing initiatives to try and produce biodiesel from wild grasses and other easily grown organic sources. However, disassociating the cell walls and the other undesirable organics to get at the fermentable cellulose takes quite a bit of energy. Ruminants, which can ferment cellulose, do this by mechanical agitation (chewing their cud). We don't yet have a good way to do this.

In comparison, fermenting corn, which has little to no lignin barrier, comes up about even. By all accounts I've seen you put as much energy in as you get out.

That is correct. There are ongoing initiatives to try and produce biodiesel from wild grasses and other easily grown organic sources. However, disassociating the cell walls and the other undesirable organics to get at the fermentable cellulose takes quite a bit of energy. Ruminants, which can ferment cellulose, do this by mechanical agitation (chewing their cud). We don't yet have a good way to do this.

In comparison, fermenting corn, which has little to no lignin barrier, comes up about even. By all accounts I've seen you put as much energy in as you get out.

UOP is one company doing this and have had very successful tests doing both pure bio fuel and 50/50 mixture of bio and Jet A on both test flights and commercial flights

http://www.uop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/renewable-fuels-commericial-flights-green-jet.jpg

Ya know, this is not news. Bill Clinton ran a Beaver on cigar tobacco. Or something like that. Not really sure. Just something I heard once or twice.

Thats the one. I was workin on a punchline but can't beat that. Bravo!!!!

The only company I know that's gotten any traction on this is using algae, but I think they're still $7.50 a gallon. Nice thing about algae is no lignin and lots of oil. The bad thing is its aquatic, but you can use wastewater and passive heating strategies. I've long thought that the answer to our energy problems lies not in giant nuclear reactors but in lowly microbes. Making oil is just eating oil in reverse, and we already have bugs that can do that.

I like you Steingar, you make me break out a dictionary on occasion.

Back