To You Northern Folks

meh....I'm a local and it's hardly coat weather yet.:goofy:

Darn tourist..... :D

layer up....wool socks, warm gloves/mittens, and a wool hat. Layers are also good for indoors....she'll think its cold there too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyone care to join?

cd2f5a32ab056c0e9f806c4aa5b8de52.jpg

Hah, they describe -23F as "Very Cold".

I suggest an alternative: "Soul-sucking, heart-freezing, dog-ass cold".

On a bidness trip almost 2 decades ago I went Eau Claire, WI in Feb. I was there most of the week. The whole time the high temp never got above -23F. Wind chills were around -75F or however low they would go.

I decided to never complain about cold again.

I got home from that trip, shoveled my driveway in about +10 weather, and sat down on my front steps and drank a beer before it could turn to slush.

My step daughter is going to Washington DC in January for her 5th grade Safety Patrol trip. They're riding a train from the West Palm area of Florida all the way up to DC. The school says that last year, when the kids stepped off the train in DC, the temperature was 18F, with a wind chill of -8F.

Being a FL boy since about age 3, I just don't know what that kind of cold is like. I need to get her some appropriate clothes, and right now I'm focused on the coat. I'm on a budget, but I do want her to be warm. My understanding is that while the coat needs to be warm, it won't be her sole protection because she'll also need to be wearing layers, so she doesn't need a coat designed for Mt. Everest.

Anyone have some recommendations for a coat, or an online retailer from which to buy a coat? I went to some local stores during the Thanksgiving break and was underwhelmed with the offerings. Most of what's around here is a glorified jacket.

I've looked a bit online at stuff like this. But it's tough to know what kind of warmth that provides. She'll likely never wear this coat again, so I'm not necessarily interested in longevity, just adequacy for this trip. Is there some kind of warmth rating on coats?

Thanks in advance.

Layers, the key is layers, and the bottom layer or two should wick moisture best as possible. Go to Outdoor World and you can suit her up. They have flannel lined jeans and khakis that are very nice as well. If you start with a good foundation of good long underwear and have a good pair of boots and gloves, you'll be ok. Good boots are important.

Layers, the key is layers, and the bottom layer or two should wick moisture best as possible. Go to Outdoor World and you can suit her up. They have flannel lined jeans and khakis that are very nice as well. If you start with a good foundation of good long underwear and have a good pair of boots and gloves, you'll be ok. Good boots are important.

That's Bass Pro off of 95, right? Good idea.

You call that cold ?

This is cold !

Attachments

• really_cold.jpg
    really_cold.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 5
Just remember that cotton is a 'death cloth' if there is any moisture at all.

The kid will be on a one day field trip. This isn't an Arctic exploration. A couple thin layers, a sweatshirt, maybe a fleece vest, and a warm jacket or coat. Stretch a wool(ish) hat over her head and some fleece or knit gloves. Make sure she has real shoes, not open toe sandals, and a decent pair of socks and she'll be fine. If the forecast calls for cold temps (like below freezing) or low wind-chills, then a scarf might be nice to wrap around her face.

Now - if it ends up with freezing rain...

The kid will be on a one day field trip. This isn't an Arctic exploration. A couple thin layers, a sweatshirt, maybe a fleece vest, and a warm jacket or coat. Stretch a wool(ish) hat over her head and some fleece or knit gloves. Make sure she has real shoes, not open toe sandals, and a decent pair of socks and she'll be fine. If the forecast calls for cold temps (like below freezing) or low wind-chills, then a scarf might be nice to wrap around her face.

Now - if it ends up with freezing rain...

Two days touring DC. But point taken. This thread has given me good ideas. Will be shopping this weekend.

Layers.
No (summer) sneakers. Their feet will get really cold if they have to do a lot of walking outside.

Two days touring DC. But point taken. This thread has given me good ideas. Will be shopping this weekend.

I think you will find a nice pull over wool sweater, and a wind breaker type jacket, plus a pair of gloves, will do the job.

A rain jacket works well for a wind breaker.

Hopefully the weather will be dry and they won't be walking through slush. My guess is the bus will be doing most of the work and the majority of their walking will be indoors. But if they get to the monuments they could be on their feet outside for a while.

Weather.com Washington D.C. 10 day forecast is temps in the upper 40s to 60 degrees.

Weather.com Washington D.C. 10 day forecast is temps in the upper 40s to 60 degrees.

which will put the average (and even slightly above average) Floridian into hibernation...

(it was a joke, I say, a joke)

yeah right.....maybe highs in the upper 40's with one or two of those days touching 50 for 10-15 minutes. :goofy:

just so ya know.....it was 27F a minute ago coming from the car. :wink2:

Last edited:
Back