To You Northern Folks

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
My step daughter is going to Washington DC in January for her 5th grade Safety Patrol trip. They're riding a train from the West Palm area of Florida all the way up to DC. The school says that last year, when the kids stepped off the train in DC, the temperature was 18F, with a wind chill of -8F.

Being a FL boy since about age 3, I just don't know what that kind of cold is like. I need to get her some appropriate clothes, and right now I'm focused on the coat. I'm on a budget, but I do want her to be warm. My understanding is that while the coat needs to be warm, it won't be her sole protection because she'll also need to be wearing layers, so she doesn't need a coat designed for Mt. Everest.

Anyone have some recommendations for a coat, or an online retailer from which to buy a coat? I went to some local stores during the Thanksgiving break and was underwhelmed with the offerings. Most of what's around here is a glorified jacket.

I've looked a bit online at stuff like this. But it's tough to know what kind of warmth that provides. She'll likely never wear this coat again, so I'm not necessarily interested in longevity, just adequacy for this trip. Is there some kind of warmth rating on coats?

Thanks in advance.

2 sweatshirts and a windbreaker. Wool hat and gloves. Jeans are OK, sweatpants terrible. She probably has tights or whatever that could be worn under the jeans. No open sandals.

DC isn't the north. That's south.

And get her to layer up. Thin layers. If she's cold, put on another layer.

Ummm, tell the school to pull their heads out of their collective asses? Okay, okay, DC usually isn't that cold but they need to schedule the trip at a better time.

Not much help on coats so get a wind layer for an outer shell and a fleece layer for warmth. That's about the cheapest and most reusable way to go. Still a waste of money when they could wait until March for the trip.

Im a Florida boy currently in North Dakota. These past few months Ive experienced new levels of cold. I bought a 300 dollar jacket with a removable down liner. You don't need to go that far. Whats important is a good wind breaker and then layer to warmth. Honestly 0* isn't that bad if there is no wind. More than 5 knots and it sucks the warmth right out of your face though. You're core will feel fine but your face goes numb. Very weird.

My recommendation since she's still growing would be to get a good windbreaker/shell and then a winter weight hoody. Most of the ones you get in florida are not really a winter weight. Then under that another sweater that she has should be ok. A good beanie that covers her ears, good gloves, and a scarf to cover up as much of her face as possible if it is windy out. Jeans should be fine, my legs haven't gotten cold yet.

Walking through the snow will be tempting so I would recommend moisture wicking socks to keep that water off her feet. The problem is you'll get snow on and in the shoes and then go inside and it'll melt so you've got cold water on your feet then go outside and it'll refreeze. I bought waterproof, lined boots but Im living here and you don't need to go to that much expense.

If I scared you, I didn't mean to. Before I got here I had only seen freezing a handful of times and it hasn't been above freezing in about 3 weeks now. It isn't that bad if you dress for it.

Is she going to spend time outdoors? Just go from train to terminal, terminal to car, etc? Big diff. #1- kids don't get as cold as adults. Around here kids go the the school bus stop at 18* in shirtsleeves. #2- kids don't wear it if it doesn't look cool. Just because you buy it doesn't mean she'll wear it. A sweater and a wind breaker will work for short jaunts in the cold. A hat helps a lot. Any hat. gloves too. Even light knit gloves. If two girls get cold they'll cuddle up without any reservation. Kids are resilient. She'll do fine.

The bigger question is, who scheduled a class trip to DC in January? Especially for a bunch of Florida kids. :loco: Who's leading this, Mr. Torquemada?

April/May is much, much nicer.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I don't disagree about the time of year, but apparently it's a county tradition. I believe Palm Beach County has done this for 50 years, and there are multiple trips. There are better times of year (I've gone in the summer, and it was amazing), but she'll be ok, and it'll still be a trip she'll always remember.

Here is where they'll try to visit:

Capitol Building, Bureau of Printing and Engraving,
Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial,
Washington Monument, Arlington National Cemetery,
Iwo Jima Memorial, Vietnam Memorial,
Holocaust Museum, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial,
Mount Vernon Naval Museum,
Washington National Zoo, White House,
Postal Museum, Alexandria,
U.S. Supreme Court, Library of Congress,
Embassy Row, WWII Memorial,
Smithsonian, Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial

Here's a link to the info guide for the trip a few years ago.

I'd say an oversized, medium-weight jacket with either a removable liner or a heavy-duty, hooded, insulated fleece sweatshirt underneath. The temperatures in D.C. are hard to predict. That combination should keep her warm enough if it's cold, but allow her to shed a layer if it's not so cold.

Being a Florida kid, 50 F would probably seem "cold" to her, so I'd err a bit on the warm side.

Rich

Regular clothes in layers and a skull cap and gloves/mittens with water resistant shoes (no mesh, no open toes) and a medium outer layer jacket, is plenty for jaunts between warm places.

The itinerary seems to have a few outdoor places, and I can't tell if they'd be outside for long.

DC weather guessing is hard on two counts: Precip and wind.

If you can't go inside, the former makes staying dry a priority, the latter means covering all exposed skin.

This lady appears to be in DC and explains better than I can.

http://alphamom.com/parenting/baby/cold-weather-dressing-for-kids/

Not sure size would work out, but if you want me to ask the Missus if there's a coat in the closet she'd be willing to part with, I could ask.

My stuff is all tan or OD green, and says Carhartt on it. Haha.

(Actually the Missus has a Carhartt too, in hot pink. I didn't know they made such thing and certainly never would have noticed it at the local ranch supply, but she did.)

I bet if the trip isn't until mid January, if you posted sizes, folks here could probably USPS various items to you we're not using.

If early Jan, time is a bit short but maybe doable.

I'll try to remember to ask the Missus in the morning, but don't be shy...

Post up sizes and maybe folks with kids will have even better options than this. Priority Mail is pretty cheap.

(Honestly I'd just mail anything we have that'd work for free... Not a big deal. Totally understand she will probably never need the jacket again until she moves away from Florida someday, if she does.)

Hat, gloves, shell, fleece-jacket, sweater.

We had a real cold January last year in the DC area. And it looks like they will be outside a bit. If any of the chaperones are Costco members, have them pick up some hand warmers. They can be bought for a pretty big discount there: http://www.uline.com/BL_1198/Hand-a...gclid=CL3c49LNz8ICFc1i7AodjlkAXg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is a snapshot of how cold it did get:

8156f052ec52e21b46636cf822f1759c.jpg

With that list I suspect much of it is going to be "drive bys." Embassy Row isn't really a destination.

Smithsonian is a bit nebulous. There are something like 14 museums in the Smithsonian (most around the mall but a few in other places). Even with the cursory in-and-out stuff in some of those venues, there's still way too much on the list. I suspect "try" is a big weasel.
There are some of those venues (White House, Holocaust museum, Supreme Court) that you have NO PRAYER of getting a group into without specific prior appointment in advance. Some of the others you can just "show up" for (most of the museums, the Capitol).
The Library of Congress, unless specifically arranged some special activity is a complete yawn.

Most of the museums can do better if you set up a specific time to be there with their education departments.

The FBI is not on the list because the tours there are GONE. It used to be one of the great tours back in the old DOJ building and it was still pretty good when they moved to the Efrem Zimbalist building. However, they pretty much shut those down a few years ago. They did open up last summer to certain educational tours but again, those need to be specifically arranged in advance (with congressional help).

If they really want to teach them about our modern society, a tour of the new NSA data center in Utah might be more appropriate instead of all those places in DC. ;) ;) ;)

Data centers are cold. Bring the same clothes. ;) ;) ;)

At least then they could go outside to warm up, just like they'll be doing in a few years after they get a good IT job and are paying their taxes that don't cover the interest on the money DC spends! ;) ;) ;)

(Seriously though. Let me know if I should engage the Missus on the jacket thing. LOL!)

The first thing I learned about DC when I lived there was that the locals exaggerate the weather. Most of the time, it is above freezing in the daytime. It's not that cold.

I left town during the "blizzard" of '99. 9 inches of snow and no significant wind, but that didn't stop the locals from freaking out.

You need something to cut the wind, and be prepared for chilly RAIN. If it does happen to snow, use the Metro. DC drivers come from sonewhere between Mars and Jupiter, and can't handle it.

I bought a heavy winter jacket with removable liner when I got there. The liner came out and got used once when I took a vacation in Luebeck in January and went walking on the Baltic.

You need something to cut the wind, and be prepared for chilly RAIN. If it does happen to snow, use the Metro. DC drivers come from sonewhere between Mars and Jupiter, and can't handle it.
I think the problem ones come from Texas and California. The big problem with DC is most people are from out of town.

The first thing I learned about DC when I lived there was that the locals exaggerate the weather. Most of the time, it is above freezing in the daytime. It's not that cold.

I left town during the "blizzard" of '99. 9 inches of snow and no significant wind, but that didn't stop the locals from freaking out.

'Snow in DC is like sex. Over-hyped, often imaginary and people get unduly excited about 3-4 inches.'

Last january was colder than usual. A sweater is often all it takes.

DC is not that bad in winter,dress in layers,usually a fleece and a windbreaker ,with hat and gloves will cover it. Stopped in DC on the way up north,for thanksgiving, had rain ,snow mix got down to upper 30s.

It's other places in the thread, but I'll summarize: windproof & waterproof outer shell and layers.

Edit: If you have a Burlington Coat Factory anywhere near you, they tend to have more jacket selection and pretty good prices.

John

Thanks everyone.

DenverPilot: Real kind, thanks. Let me talk to the SO and see what I can muster before you go stealing clothes from the wife. I do appreciate it. :)

MAKG1: Last year (or was it the year before?) I was nearly killed by hotel shuttle driver in DC when he made a late decision to exit the highway, jumping the curb/median and sending occupants flying. Fun times.

MAKG1: Last year (or was it the year before?) I was nearly killed by hotel shuttle driver in DC when he made a late decision to exit the highway, jumping the curb/median and sending occupants flying. Fun times.

When I first moved there, I was treated to a beautiful example of DC "driving." Southbound on the B-W parkway, near Goddard SFC, some schmuck misses his exit. Most of us would have gone to the next one and backtracked or detoured. Not this guy. Some people's time is so important that risk to life and limb is not relevant. He stopped on the freeway, and backed up in the right lane.

Just layer up, fleece is always a good layer. Even the glorified jackets you found will work if you layer up enough underneath - the shell will keep out the wind, and the layers will trap heat.

A hat makes a big difference. Kids will also lose things, too, so cheap gloves are best.

When I first moved there, I was treated to a beautiful example of DC "driving." Southbound on the B-W parkway, near Goddard SFC, some schmuck misses his exit. Most of us would have gone to the next one and backtracked or detoured. Not this guy. Some people's time is so important that risk to life and limb is not relevant. He stopped on the freeway, and backed up in the right lane.

I hate to clue you in but the Goddard SFC is up in Prince Georges County, Maryland not DC. It's not even inside the beltway.

I hate to clue you in but the Goddard SFC is up in Prince Georges County, Maryland not DC. It's not even inside the beltway.

So, there is this magic line at the District boundary -- which is VERY close to GSFC btw -- that keeps all the crappy drivers inside?

Greenbelt is close enough to DC to have a Metro stop. Got any other hairs to split?

Culturally, there is virtually no difference between PG County, especially close in to the District boundary, and say, Fort Totten, barely 5 miles away. Downtown is its own planet, but most of the District is not there.

Last edited:
Live up where it's sub 20f daily.

Here's your brands.

Smartwool,
expensive but it's GREAT stuff, socks to shirts

Mountain Hardware,
great for jackets

North Face,
not as nice but better selection for girls, if it ain't cutie she won't wear it.

Be sure to get her some boots, good socks, jacket, gloves and thermals.

Fun fact: I had to consult the Great Google™ to know exactly what "fleece" is. :redface:

In January it could be anywhere from 70°F down to 0°F. Check the forecast the week before and pack accordingly. There are only about a million souvenir sellers that would be happy to sell your child a sweatshirt. Don't expect quality, but they're not expensive, either.

Nothing beats the sheer arrogance of a political motorcade during rush hour.

I haven't seen it mentioned here but if it's going to be that cold and they are going to be outside I would go with some kind of leggings under her pants. They don't need to be thick, but the layer helps.

My step daughter is going to Washington DC in January for her 5th grade Safety Patrol trip. They

How long does that take? From Philly to DC is like 2 hours on Amtrak, maybe 130 miles...

How long does that take? From Philly to DC is like 2 hours on Amtrak, maybe 130 miles...

Almost an entire day/night. They depart morning on Thursday and arrive in DC morning on Friday. They sleep in reclining chairs on the train.

To be honest, it sounds fantastic. If I put myself in her shoes for a moment, and imagine hopping on a train, with my best friends in the world, watching the country go by through the train window, it sure does seem like an unforgettable trip. As much as I love aviation, there's something neat about taking the train instead of an airliner.

Nah it's like saying NY drivers are jerks because someone ran you off the Garden State parkway. PG County (having grown up there) is NOT the district. Neither is Montgomery or Fairfax.

Most of the natives drive well. It's the carpetbaggers from California that are the real problem.

Fleece, windproof jacket over it, warm hat (very important if it is below 32 and she will be outside for a while), gloves, maybe a scarf and she should be good as long she won't be outside in howling 15 degree winds for hours on end.

I remember being in the swimming pool in FL when I was a kid on vacation from the north, I'd be swimming and the locals were in winter coats on a 62 degree day...... cold is relative.

I remember being in the swimming pool in FL when I was a kid on vacation from the north, I'd be swimming and the locals were in winter coats on a 62 degree day...... cold is relative.

A couple of years ago my wife and I visited some family in Phoenix just after Christmas. Everyone there had coats on and complained how cold it was. It was 82 in the daytime and fell to 50 at night. I received some looks from people because I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Temperature truly is relative.

Back