To PT or not to PT

Yes, but it has a MOCA of 2,800'

In any case, this was just issued:

!FDC 1/0720 DLL IAP BARABOO-WISCONSIN DELLS RGNL, BARABOO, WI. VOR-A, AMDT 13... DISREGARD PLANVIEW NOTE: NOPT FOR ARRIVAL ON DLL VORTAC AIRWAY RADIALS 284 CW 094.. 2103261634-2303261634EST

Just checked my email. They responded with Notam issued, case closed. I think your copy to Flight Standards mighta worked. After they stuck some needles in their Wally Doll of course:rofl: Have you felt any unexplained pains?

Just checked my email. They responded with Notam issued, case closed. I think your copy to Flight Standards mighta worked. After they stuck some needles in their Wally Doll of course:rofl: Have you felt any unexplained pains?
I got a needle stuck in me on Wednesday, and have definitely been feeling pains!

No pain, no gain.
:eek:

Are you putting forth the proposition that you are not ‘established on the Approach’ when you cross DLL? The PT is a ‘segment’ of the Approach. Irregardless of whether you do the ‘Barb’ thang or another method as authorized, such as the ‘racetrack.’

If you cross DLL outbound on the 007 radial with a needle on scale, then yes you are 'established on the Approach'. The Pilot/Controller glossary defines the Initial Approach segment as "between the initial approach fix and the intermediate fix or the point where the aircraft is established on the intermediate course or final approach course." This approach has no IF, but it does have a clearly identified intermediate course which is outbound from the IAF on the 007 radial. Until I have a stable needle on scale and on that course I am not going to consider myself established and will not be executing a PT. Not only will I do it that way because I am 100% certain that is the legal way to do it, it's also the most practical way to do it. If you start trying to do a PT before you have a solid reference of what the winds are doing to you in relation to the final approach course, you are setting yourself up for failure. Furthermore I'm not putting forth any proposition. I'm describing what my interpretation of how the approach is intended to be flown. As I've always maintained, if you have another interpretation, do what you feel is right. I'm not going to tell you how to run your ship. That's the FAA's job or your employer if you are flying for a paycheck.

If you start trying to do a PT before you have a solid reference of what the winds are doing to you in relation to the final approach course, you are setting yourself up for failure.
If you wait until you’re tracking outbound on the final approach course before you figure out what the winds are, especially with modern avionics, you’re setting yourself up for failure.

Back