To Pee or not to Pee

If you use a bottle, nothing wrong with pouring the contents out of the window, while you TAXI. Just don't try it while airborne. :yikes:

If you have to pee when flying land the plane and pee. ;)

Nothing is more weird than a pilot carrying in a bottle of pee into the FBO when they land. Don't "pee" one of those guys. ;). :lol:

Nothing is more weird than a pilot carrying in a bottle of pee into the FBO when they land. Don't "pee" one of those guys. ;). :lol:
I try real hard not to walk around with my red bottle looking for a drain. Very bad form.

The bags work well because you can just trash them.

Many years ago I started usiong an external catheter and a leg bag for the sailplane (you can't just land after 4 hours in the middle of a task and expect to get going again, see off field landings thread for more insight). Around that time, catheters and drains found their way into many ships but it took some experimentation to find the right location for the drain. All in all, they work quite well and quite anonymously.

As I peer into my 60s and notice the weakening of all my faculties, the catheter/bag may come back out if ever faced with flying long legs with strangers I don't want to freak out.

However, never never try to empty a bag thru a vent window like that on a Bo' unless you need a shower. Yeah, don't ask.

All fine and well but what about the poor folks who eat some bad Mexican food. I had that happen once when drivin home from Dallas and zipped off the freeway and in the gas station bathroom within 2 minutes of feeling the sudden need. Can't land and get into the fbo that quickly.

Always keep a trash bag in your flight case.

For your first XC (I'm assuming this is dual) it's going to be fairly quick. You should be under an hour pe stop to pee stop, so just don't have anything to drink an hour or so before the flight, make sure you use the bathroom before you go.

When I have longer trips (2.5+ hour legs) and have other people in the plane, I tend to restrict my liquid intake. Since these trips will usually start in the morning for me, I try to make sure I don't have much to drink once I go to bed. That makes it workable.

When I'm solo, I keep a lot of extra empty Gatorade, Dr. Pepper, whatever bottles and use them. No, you don't need an autopilot to use them even when solo, and it's not that hard to do. If you're trying to get somewhere, you don't want to divert just because you need to use the bathroom. This will add significant time to your trip.

I had a passenger try to puke out of the window in a Decathlon once. BAD idea. I can't imagine the results from trying to pee out of a window would be any prettier...

We were flying from KISM to KFTY in the late 90's, about an 1:30 or so flight. About 20 minutes after takeoff, it became very apparent that my bowels were going to cause some serious damage to the interior of my plane! :yikes: I waited as long as I could, but we made a "fuel" stop in Albany, I ordered a couple gallons a side as I was running to the bathroom!:yes:

All fine and well but what about the poor folks who eat some bad Mexican food. I had that happen once when drivin home from Dallas and zipped off the freeway and in the gas station bathroom within 2 minutes of feeling the sudden need. Can't land and get into the fbo that quickly.

Except maybe looking like you just showered...
Eat how you would normally would. Don't drink too much. Stay out of cold breezes. You should be good for a few hours. It's combining eating with drinking that keeps you from needing "emergency" relief.

just to expand your vocabulary a bit

"Bottle of pee" = "Trucker Bomb" :D

Get the gel pack always use the facility's before engine start.

I can tell you that a bottled water bottle works (for a guy) while driving in stop and go traffic during a big snow storm (thank goodness I don't clean out the trash bag very often). Plus you can feel good about doing your part to melt some of the snow when you dump it out the window.

Never tried it in an airplane.

Back