To Pee or not to Pee

Scud_072

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scud
Well... my first XC is coming up on Monday and I am get to that age where I notice I am going to the bathroom a bit more often than when I was younger. So what are the proven strategies that you older very experienced pilots have to minimize unplanned stops? Obstain from cafine for a period of time? Dont drink any fluid X hours before the flight? Put a cork in it? What is the old pilot wisdom on this subject? Thanks.

Bring a bottle.

A wide mouth bottle (I've used Gatorade bottles) and a bag to carry the now full bottle to the men's room.

Drink a crapload of beer the night before so you're dehydrated the next morning.

I'm not sure how his instructor is going to take it when he pulls out the Gatorade bottle.

When I did mine, I went to pee before. I had drank a 12 oz can of Red Bull on the way there, so sure enough, after pre flight I had that sensation of "If you put a urinal in front of me, I could pee again".
I decided not to, and had no issues. I guess it's different for everybody, but I had my hands so full that the least thing on my mind was my bladder.
Just don't drink a ton of stuff and go to the bathroom before and you should be fine.

Well... my first XC is coming up on Monday and I am get to that age where I notice I am going to the bathroom a bit more often than when I was younger. So what are the proven strategies that you older very experienced pilots have to minimize unplanned stops? Obstain from cafine for a period of time? Dont drink any fluid X hours before the flight? Put a cork in it? What is the old pilot wisdom on this subject? Thanks.

Empty Gatorade jug. Take Vitamin B and get the lemon lime flavor, place refilled jug in FBO fridge.:D

It's called a relief tube. Not exactly a new idea......

Other than that of course you don't drink a pot of coffee before flying. Or, simply, fly shorter legs.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus is that avoiding or limiting fluids is a bad idea - it leads to dehydration, and even a little dehydration can begin to affect cognitive abilities.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

I imagine you need to have an autopilot (if you were flying alone) in order to pull off the pee in a bottle trick. I have tried it a few times in the car, always seems a bit awkward. I would be afraid I would hit the yoke with my leg or something....

Do you guys pull that off alone, or only when you have a passanger on the controlls and the hood turned sideways so they don't have to be visually envolved in your "business" ?

I imagine you need to have an autopilot (if you were flying alone) in order to pull off the pee in a bottle trick. I have tried it a few times in the car, always seems a bit awkward. I would be afraid I would hit the yoke with my leg or something....

Do you guys pull that off alone, or only when you have a passanger on the controlls and the hood turned sideways so they don't have to be visually envolved in your "business" ?

I just slide seat back and make sure trim is set. Just hope no bumps until cap is on bottle.

Bring a bottle is the simplest solution but not necessarily optimal.

I like the Little John. It's more easily positioned than a regular bottle to avoid spills.
Little John

My wife and I both use these:Travel John
They are single use, they fit women well and they don't spill.

Both require some amount of in-plane gymnastics to use.. at least for us.

What I don't recommend is dehydration or putting a cork in it. Nothing worse than having to go, badly, 5 miles out.

Actually there is something worse; having an accident due to being 'stupid' from dehydration. People manage their bladders by limited dehydration every day and it works until it doesn't. Most of our flying is low stress in a comfortable cockpit and a little dehydration generally won't hurt much. Racing sailplanes, I've seen people 'lose it' due to it. I've 'lost it' due to it. I don't know about you but my bladder isn't the only thing not working as well as I get older. I drink enough liquids to be comfortably hydrated, coffee when I want it, and I always carry 'bottles'. 'nuff said.

Enjoy the X/C!

I carry these. No chance of spilling. I haven't used one yet.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/13089

13089.jpg

Absorbent pouch turns urine into gel instantly while destroying bacteria and odor. Specially designed collar works for men, women and children; spill guard prevents back flow during use. Convenient, sanitary and compact, the Travel John is easy to use while sitting or standing. Will not leak, even if punctured. Keep several in the plane, car or boat. Holds 28 fl. oz. Pack of three.

Most older pilots have about a 3 hr max limit. Drink normal, don't get dehydrated.

Unless you are in the middle of a transatlantic flight...

Stop to buy fuel when you think you may be low on fuel for any reason.

Stop to check out the weather when the weather is going south unexpectedly.

Stop to check out unexpected mechanical / electrical issues.

Stop to pee when you need to pee.

get-there-ites is the #1 pilot killer.

Well... my first XC is coming up on Monday and I am get to that age where I notice I am going to the bathroom a bit more often than when I was younger. So what are the proven strategies that you older very experienced pilots have to minimize unplanned stops? Abstain from caffeine for a period of time? Dont drink any fluid X hours before the flight? Put a cork in it? What is the old pilot wisdom on this subject? Thanks.

The suggestion to bring a bottle is good one, but in case it's not obvious, make sure you also bring the cap. Also, after use, it's a real bad idea to place the bottle back in the cup holder. It's unimportant how I know this. :eek:

TRY to pee before you take-off even if you don't have to...for god's sake...TRY!

I try to avoid x-country legs longer than 3 1/2 hours. That is not the fuel endurance of my aircraft...it is the limit of my bladder while sitting idle in a vibrating machine. You said you don't want "unplanned stops"? Then make PLANNED stops that you know you and your bladder can handle.

I just wrote in another post today (Most Unimportant Instrument) about how my wife bought me the Sporty's red bottle to pee in if necessary. I've never had to use it and quite honestly, I don't really believe I'd be able to with my wife sitting next to me in a cramped cockpit. It's just something that even years of marriage cannot smooth over.

Gene

In one of the traditional trainers, flying 100-120 kts, the XC won't be more than an hour or so each leg, do you think that will be a problem? No one says you can't stop at each leg.

Disposable diapers do the same thing, probably for much less. Don't have to wear it, just have it handy.

Dan

True but I think I'd rather use these if there are other people in the plane =) If I don't use them they don't cost MUCH more.

True but I think I'd rather use these if there are other people in the plane =) If I don't use them they don't cost MUCH more.

Found an unused pack of those in the plane after I bought it. They're still there.

No auto pilot required; depends who the passenger is. Most my flights with pax aren't long enough to get into 'bottle pee' range.

If you enjoy Gatorade, you can always bring a bottle or two for the flight. And then use the empty as the receiving vessel.

But make sure to choose any flavor other than the lemon-lime.

(and the penny drops in 3...2....1) :D :eek: :D

Don't overdo the fluid intake at breakfast, avoid coffee. Step around behind the hangar for a last minute "pre-flight" just prior to getting in the airplane. Instead of drinking that "Coke" just before the flight take it along and don't open it until you're into the last hour, and if all else fails make an unplanned pit stop enroute.

Last edited:
Used a Gatorade bottle 30 miles out from Oshkosh last year since I did not want a distraction closer in. Worked out well , I soon as we landed and parked my friend in the aircraft which landed just ahead of us climbed out of his bird and announced he had to hurry as he was about to die of thirst. Well I always was one to help a friend soooooo, Here Sid. Have a gatorade ...........

For me...I have learned to avoid coffee and soda for at least three hours before takeoff. I actually drink LOTS of water in flight though.

And before takeoff, I always use the can urge or not and ask all my passengers not if you have to go, but could you go?...then go!

As a lifelong sufferer of TB (tiny bladder) I have learned a few tricks:
For morning flights I usually drink half of a Diet Coke instead of a whole can. I try to avoid any other liquids before a long flight. I take a water to drink enroute, for some reason room temperature doesn't make me go as quickly. SIP the water! Avoiding sugary snacks seems to help me. I go before I pre-flight and just before I get in the plane, even going a little bit helps. I am good for 2-3 hours, sometimes a bit longer. :D
If you really think it's going to be an issue, plan a fuel/leg stretching stop.:D

I've begun to appreciate that the FBO our club rents a hangar from is VERY close to the entrance gate.

Arrive airport by ground
Pee
Enter gate
Pull 55WB out of Hangar
Fly
Return 55WB to Hangar
Exit Gate
Pee
Depart airport by ground

We use the little john as well plus the "lady adapter" both require dressing for occasion.

Bring a bottle is the simplest solution but not necessarily optimal.

I like the Little John. It's more easily positioned than a regular bottle to avoid spills.
Little John

My wife and I both use these:Travel John
They are single use, they fit women well and they don't spill.

Both require some amount of in-plane gymnastics to use.. at least for us.

What I don't recommend is dehydration or putting a cork in it. Nothing worse than having to go, badly, 5 miles out.

Actually there is something worse; having an accident due to being 'stupid' from dehydration. People manage their bladders by limited dehydration every day and it works until it doesn't. Most of our flying is low stress in a comfortable cockpit and a little dehydration generally won't hurt much. Racing sailplanes, I've seen people 'lose it' due to it. I've 'lost it' due to it. I don't know about you but my bladder isn't the only thing not working as well as I get older. I drink enough liquids to be comfortably hydrated, coffee when I want it, and I always carry 'bottles'. 'nuff said.

Enjoy the X/C!

Cannot add much to this for us in our -10. Lake Michigan crossing at 12,500' seemed to make me go. Seeing water and higher altitudes probably don't help. It never fails, one will hit turbulence as soon as the Little John comes out. Open fresh air intakes and carry sanitizing wipes. The wife and kids have done well holding it so far. Difficult to concentrate on flying if you have to go.

When we had some long legs in Australia, my wife improvised some maxi pads in a ziploc where I used a water bottle. I don't tend to need it often, but still keep the water bottle. My wife uses Dan's suggestion, she'll take out a depend. Sit it on the seat, use it, and then seal it away.

More often than not, we'll just land to use the bathroom however.

If you have to pee when flying land the plane and pee. ;)

Nothing is more weird than a pilot carrying in a bottle of pee into the FBO when they land. Don't "pee" one of those guys. ;). :lol:

Last edited:
All fine and well but what about the poor folks who eat some bad Mexican food. I had that happen once when drivin home from Dallas and zipped off the freeway and in the gas station bathroom within 2 minutes of feeling the sudden need. Can't land and get into the fbo that quickly.

Back