To kbhm - Birmingham alabamee

Monpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monpilot
If weather holds up for the first weekend of the new year I'm planning to fly from Houston to Birmingham.

I have several issues so your input is appreciated.

First off, I'm around 80 hours and vfr only in an archer II pa28-180

In Birmingham there is only class c kbhm and about 10 minutes away is keky

My only controlled airport experience is class d kcll.

my question is whether kbhm GA is low time pilot friendly. Seeing some responses to another thread about landing in class b and many responses against it, I would like to know if the same applies to class c and kbhm in particular.

Weather for a winter 1100 roundtrip may not cooperate but if it does then a 8 hour roundtrip beats 20 driving.

If you have weather for the trip, do not worry about the Class C, they will not be an issue. I would suggest you take Flight Following end to end though if they cooperate (typically they do) and then it will be a seamless transition into the C.

my question is whether kbhm GA is low time pilot friendly. Seeing some responses to another thread about landing in class b and many responses against it, I would like to know if the same applies to class c and kbhm in particular. .

B is very different than C from the POV of a low-time pilot in a piston plane. You'll have no problem whatsoever. A Bravo like JFK/ATL/BOS has constant heavy metal traffic and little room to squeeze in a spam can that's going to gum up the works. On the other hand, picture any class C airport you may have visited -- it probably felt like nobody ever flies there. In my experience many class C airports are quieter than the class D airports I've been to because they may only have a couple airline ops an hour for most of the day and little or no training operations depending on the airport.

For reference, AirNav lists the following ops/day at airports:
KCLL: 141 of which 40% is transient GA
KBHM: 280 of which 39% is transient GA
KCLT: 1551 of which only 4% is transient GA
KATL: 2549 of which <1% is transient GA

So you can see that BHM is basically the same level of activity you saw at College Station and not comparable to the Bravos.

If the weather looks good enjoy the trip!

Last edited:
If you're rusty on ATC operations I'd review a few videos on youtube out of class C airports to get an idea for the expected calls and who to call, and when. Otherwise enjoy the flight and if they ask something weird then just ask for clarification. As grumpy as they may sound they'll be even grumpier if what they expect doesn't happen.

If weather holds up for the first weekend of the new year I'm planning to fly from Houston to Birmingham.

my question is whether kbhm GA is low time pilot friendly. Seeing some responses to another thread about landing in class b and many responses against it, I would like to know if the same applies to class c and kbhm in particular.

Weather for a winter 1100 roundtrip may not cooperate but if it does then a 8 hour roundtrip beats 20 driving.

Compass Bowl?

All great information for you above.

On board wx and FF as mentioned, aprt diagram, freq list, call fbo about parking/facilty fee, notams, ramp closures, watch for tall tower SSW of aprt and have fun. Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Birmingham is easy to deal with. You shouldn't have a problem.

There are some discussions on the pilot boards about calling up clearance delivery before you depart a class C when you are on the ground. If you call up clearance delivery on the clearance delivery frequency they will give you a squawk code and information about altitude and heading going out of BHM. I went into BHM very rusty a few years ago and for whatever reason called ground control to get my clearance.

This was my first Class C after about a 28 year break from flying and there were no class Cs 28 years previously. I also didn't have a lot of recent class D experience. They were patient with me and without my requesting it set up flight following to my destination once they directed me to the clearance delivery frequency.

Last edited:
it has two runways, so I'd at least get familiar with the taxiway diagrams and know where the FBO is that you're going to park. Common sense stuff. If you're not sure, ask the controller for progressive taxi when you land.

from my personal experience, ground work sometimes is harder than the actual flying.

It is just another airport. There are two FBO locations, of course they are both Atlantic. Just try not to think about the $7+ gas and facility fees. They may wave some of the fees if you buy enough fuel. Their service though is first class at least for the turbine crowd. I expect you will get good service regardless what you fly.

Please don't hesitate to operate at any Class C. Friendliness isn't even an issue. If you are low time or rusty on procedures, all the more reason to go.

Getting flight following for you flight will ease the arrival.

If you don't understand anything, ask or ask for it to be repeated. One thing that happens at some towered airports is the use of local landmarks, e.g. "N1234 report the tanks". A handy word to use in the air and anytime on the ground is "unfamiliar". When on the ground, "unfamiliar, progressive please" will give you all the taxi help you can use at any airport.

Ironically, busy airports are often "friendlier" than the less than busy. NY controllers are some of the friendliest around but it can be a challenge to keep up and they don't tolerate stupid or missed communications very well.

Regarding flying into Class B; Some of us were reacting negatively to flying into a Class B just to check it off your list. The best way to do it is to have a reason to go there, then bone up on the procedures and do it. If the Class B is where you need to go and you are prepped with a taxi diagram and basic knowledge of procedures and FARs, just do it and gain some experience.

Having said that, there are a handful of Class Bs that it's just better to avoid - O'hara, LaGuardia, JFK, ATL are on my list to avoid - but MIA, CLT, PIT and just about any other one east of the Mississippi are fair game.

Go and enjoy. Ask questions here as needed.

My first flight into KBHM was NORDO due to an unexpected failure. Great help by the tower and ground.

It is just another airport. There are two FBO locations, of course they are both Atlantic. Just try not to think about the $7+ gas and facility fees. They may wave some of the fees if you buy enough fuel. Their service though is first class at least for the turbine crowd. I expect you will get good service regardless what you fly.

I've used Atlantic at a lot of locations, (not Birmingham) and always had professional service with a T-41 (C-172XP Equivilent).

Class C call the Appch freq inbound, expect vectors to set up for either a downwind or final to the airport. Make sure to have a taxi diagram ready, if in doubt, ask for progressive taxi. Call clr del for outbound, be sure to have the ATIS code when you call. Piece of cake!

Light gun came out?
I was able to receive but not transmit so no gun. We communicated via heading options (turn right 195 if you can hear me) and ident button. Very professional and helpful all the way to the shop on the field (can't recall the name off the top of my head).

class c airports are no big deal. just make sure you know your communications, departure procedures, where to taxi. its just like any other airport. most of the class d airports have more traffic than class c because of a lot of student training. it shouldn't be a problem for you

If you see a Mooney on the ramp, it may be my son in my plane. Say hi. BUT he'll be sitting on the Vandy side of the bowl game.;)

Thanks for the input and tips!

I'll be going for the bowl game and this will be a great opportunity to make an east bound cross country where I'll see trees instead of desert.

I'll be using flight following, if available, and printing out the airport diagram instead of just pulling it up on my ipad.

And my club's plane uses wet rates so the expensive gas won't be as much of a downer.

Thanks for the thumbs up about class c and kbhm!

Anyone else -prefer- a class C to a class D? I do. I'm based at a class C. I fly home to the parents to a class D. The class C folks seem to handle much more traffic with greater ease. I'm guessing the class D guy doesn't have radar, so has to rely on position reports and what he can see. This has led to some very, uh, interesting experiences especially with less than experienced pilots in the pattern.

Learned to fly at an uncontrolled field, still not entirely comfortable with the radio work at the class C, but I like having the extra set of eyes watching for traffic (radar).

Oh, and 99% of the controllers are great. But we have "Mr. Grumpy" and when it's his shift, you just have to make allowances and not take it personally.

Please don't hesitate to operate at any Class C. Friendliness isn't even an issue. If you are low time or rusty on procedures, all the more reason to go.

Getting flight following for you flight will ease the arrival.

If you don't understand anything, ask or ask for it to be repeated. One thing that happens at some towered airports is the use of local landmarks, e.g. "N1234 report the tanks". A handy word to use in the air and anytime on the ground is "unfamiliar". When on the ground, "unfamiliar, progressive please" will give you all the taxi help you can use at any airport.

Ironically, busy airports are often "friendlier" than the less than busy. NY controllers are some of the friendliest around but it can be a challenge to keep up and they don't tolerate stupid or missed communications very well.

Regarding flying into Class B; Some of us were reacting negatively to flying into a Class B just to check it off your list. The best way to do it is to have a reason to go there, then bone up on the procedures and do it. If the Class B is where you need to go and you are prepped with a taxi diagram and basic knowledge of procedures and FARs, just do it and gain some experience.

Having said that, there are a handful of Class Bs that it's just better to avoid - O'hara, LaGuardia, JFK, ATL are on my list to avoid - but MIA, CLT, PIT and just about any other one east of the Mississippi are fair game.

Go and enjoy. Ask questions here as needed.

Interesting advice. If the weather is good tomorrow evening I am going to pick up my daughter at KMCO and had planned to fly to KISM, rent a car and drive to MCO to get her. It would be nice to go to a class B sometime before I die but I know KISM and am comfortable with that airport. Is KMCO on your list to avoid?

Individuals' lists vary greatly from person to person. I've flown into JFK 4 times with my airplane. I've also flown it in and out of ATL without any issue.

FWIW, I was cleared into the MCO Bravo during my VFR arrival into KISM a few weeks ago, without even requesting it. It was a non-event. I can't imagine it would've been particularly difficult to land at MCO.

Regarding the Charlie airspace for the OP, the arrival should be trivial, and if you have flight following prior to getting near the Charlie, then you can basically treat it just like a Delta. It's very simple. For the departure, the only issue will be whether to call Clearance vs Ground for your VFR dep. I'd start with Clearance and see what they say.

Some places want you to call Ground for a VFR dep, others want you on Clnc. Sometimes it's advertised on the ATIS, but often it is not.

It sounds like you didn't get much exposure to controlled airports during your PPL. To really get the most out of your ticket, it's worth becoming very comfortable with radio comms so that trip planning becomes more fun and less stressful.

Interesting advice. If the weather is good tomorrow evening I am going to pick up my daughter at KMCO and had planned to fly to KISM, rent a car and drive to MCO to get her. It would be nice to go to a class B sometime before I die but I know KISM and am comfortable with that airport. Is KMCO on your list to avoid?
I've never been there but wouldn't hesitate at all.

A passenger pickup is a good reason to go there. Some would advise calling up the FBO to research $$$ and options for a passenger pickup. I would do the opposite.... Like I did at KMIA last year. I pulled up, told the line guys I was just doing a pickup so don't move me. Walked in, told the desk the same and asked if someone could pick up my passenger. They said sure and put me in touch with a baggage handler. He went and picked up my passenger, loads the bag unloaded the bags and all. I gave him a 10, jumped in and took off.

A week later I got a telephone call from the FBO asking me to pay some fees. I asked him to call me back when I wasn't driving. They never did. I wouldn't have minded the fees in any case.

Thanks for the input and tips!

I'll be going for the bowl game and this will be a great opportunity to make an east bound cross country where I'll see trees instead of desert.

I'll be using flight following, if available, and printing out the airport diagram instead of just pulling it up on my ipad.

And my club's plane uses wet rates so the expensive gas won't be as much of a downer.

Thanks for the thumbs up about class c and kbhm!
I think I've heard that the airport goes into some kind of special procedure mode for football weekends. Parking is by reservation-only or something. This is a case where I would definitely call ahead. Check NOTAMS too.

Or, if there's no NOTAM, just fly in and ask for mercy.

At 80hrs VFR only round trip in January, seems like a big chunk of flying in a PA28. I hope you have some spare time. Not trying to be negative but at 80 hrs, I wouldn't have attempted this flight unless the weather forecast across the area was BEAUTIFUL.

Class C isn't that much different from Class D, perhaps a little busier and the need for Clearance Delivery are the only differences I can think of.

The weather in Birmingham was spectacular today. I can't comment on what's between Houston and B'ham.

Figuring five hours each way, you'd have to do a RON somewhere on the way back or else you'd be doing night VFR XC, something I've never tried, and never wanted to.

I have to think that would have be a tough game to watch if you were a Cougars fan.

The return leg showed overcast and high probability of rain for Sunday so had to ditch the plans to fly and drove instead. It's 6am Sunday and if there aren't thunderstorms and fog mid morning I will be very put off about the decision to drive.

Makes me kick myself for not starting my IR training back in august.

Back