To fly professional or not?

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
I want to hear current career pilots opinions on this. I am 30 years old about to be 31 and am trying to decide if it's worth pursuing a commercial pilot job. I have a 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering and a good paying job now. However I really really love flying and am very good at it. It really came natural to me and I currently have 110 hours. What worries me is that seniority is everything in the airlines and I will likely be 33 or 34 at least before I have the qualifications. I have also heard mixed reviews on the jobs future of the airlines.

So what do you think? Worth it or stick to my day job and leave the flying as a hobby at this point in my life?

That's something that only you can answer. It's hard to get into and as you probably know, new hire F/O pay at the regionals stinks.

That being said, I graduated with an engineering degree, although I never worked in the field. Chose to fly Metroliners for 14K a year instead of going the engineering route. Haven't regretted my choice and now am a Captain at the majors. I did have enough time to get hired at age 23 so I had a head start on you and that is something to consider. It's hard to get that first 1500 hours or so.
I think hiring will be fairly strong for the foreseeable future with the number of retirements out there although you never know what the next economic downturn can bring.

Check out airlinepilotcentral.com for hiring numbers and pay scales. (I'd also ignore their forum. It's just a place for an anonymous ***** fest.)

If you have to ask, its not for you.

Sorry, but that's the short answer.

There is also good QOL outside of the 121 world, crazy I know :goofy:

I got my commercial certificate a few months ago and am flying full time now. It is great! I get to travel all over North America and typically have weekends that are three or four days long. It all depends on what you can network yourself into.

I don't know exactly what is next, but I am enjoying what I have now and try not to get caught up on the next chapter.

You definitely aren't too old to be a professional pilot.

I"m not a current or former career pilot. The sum total of my comm aviation consists of towing gliders and banners > 40 years ago. Currently I'm an EE and work on complex networks.

Now that you know where I come from, wondering if you considered this: Commercial flying of large transport type aircraft is a completely different world than tossing a sporty ASEL around on clear days, and going where you want, when you want.

As a ATP, you will be directed pretty much every waking hour of your professional life. You go where, and when they tell you, everything you do with respect to aviation will be getting the meatsacks from point A to B at lowest cost, and without ever spilling a cup of Coke on a grandma.

To quote Airplane the movie; "It's a completely different kind of flying altogether." Consider this, that a hobby turned in to a job can ruin what you love.

Follow your dreams.

I've had a wonderful career in aviation, and a very profitable one.

I'd echo this post

That's something that only you can answer. It's hard to get into and as you probably know, new hire F/O pay at the regionals stinks.

That being said, I graduated with an engineering degree, although I never worked in the field. Chose to fly Metroliners for 14K a year instead of going the engineering route. Haven't regretted my choice and now am a Captain at the majors. I did have enough time to get hired at age 23 so I had a head start on you and that is something to consider. It's hard to get that first 1500 hours or so.
I think hiring will be fairly strong for the foreseeable future with the number of retirements out there although you never know what the next economic downturn can bring.

Check out airlinepilotcentral.com for hiring numbers and pay scales. (I'd also ignore their forum. It's just a place for an anonymous ***** fest.)

I'd also say this is good too (minus the part about ignoring APC forums, there is good info on there, you just have to sort the garbage out).

If you have to ask, its not for you.

Sorry, but that's the short answer.

There is also good QOL outside of the 121 world, crazy I know :goofy:

While this is true (QOL outside of 121), it isn't a sure thing.

That said, if you can do it without debt, great. Don't get loans to do the flying thing, it just isn't worth it, IMO.

You could have both. As Cowboy mentioned you could tow gliders and banners during the summer. My multi instructor built houses during the day and flew checks at night in a Baron just cause he wanted to fly for free. I know the check flying business its pretty much non-existent, but there are ways to earn a bit of coin part time and keep your day job.

I'd echo this post

I'd also say this is good too (minus the part about ignoring APC forums, there is good info on there, you just have to sort the garbage out

Need to correct myself. KS is right, there is some good stuff there when looking for info but there is also a lot of bitching and threads that turn into attacks on others. Just gotta wade through the muck over there.

As a ATP, you will be directed pretty much every waking hour of your professional life. You go where, and when they tell you, everything you do with respect to aviation will be getting the meatsacks from point A to B at lowest cost, and without ever spilling a cup of Coke on a grandma.

To quote Airplane the movie; "It's a completely different kind of flying altogether." Consider this, that a hobby turned in to a job can ruin what you love.

I'm a ATP and that sure as hell aint my experience, I'm not a 121 kinda guy though.

I'm a ATP and that sure as hell aint my experience, I'm not a 121 kinda guy though.

Nice you get to set your own schedule, destination, etc. Me, when the customer wanted a banner labeled '2 for 1 well at Carny's before 7' towed over the beach from 12-1PM, I had to pick up the banner, spelled right, and be over the beach from 12-1PM. If the sailplane wanted a tow right now to 3500' I towed em to 3500' right now.

I'm sure most comm pilots get to decide where, when, and who they fly.

Real sure.

I want to hear current career pilots opinions on this. I am 30 years old about to be 31 and am trying to decide if it's worth pursuing a commercial pilot job. I have a 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering and a good paying job now. However I really really love flying and am very good at it. It really came natural to me and I currently have 110 hours. What worries me is that seniority is everything in the airlines and I will likely be 33 or 34 at least before I have the qualifications. I have also heard mixed reviews on the jobs future of the airlines.

So what do you think? Worth it or stick to my day job and leave the flying as a hobby at this point in my life?

Pursue your passion. Save as much as you can while flying as much as you can. I never thought I'd have the opportunity, but find myself about to finish ground school for a large regional with sim training in two weeks. And I'm a quarter of a century ahead of you! Never say never.

(a wife with a good job doesn't hurt.) :D

Time is ticking away anyway. You will be 40 before you know it. You don't want to look back and say. Man, I should have gave it a shot. Go for it. If in the end it doesn't work out the way you wish. You already have a great back up plan.

Is your heart set on the airlines.

I fly corporate and love it. Good money, good guys , and great airplanes.

I wouldn't leave this job if I was offered to fly a desk for $2,000,000 a year.

It's the old saying. If you do what ya love its worth the 2 mil a year.

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Follow your dreams.

I've had a wonderful career in aviation, and a very profitable one.

This!

I was 33 when I made the leap to full time pilot and I have no regrets. In all fairness, I have to tell you that I never did the airline thing. All my flying has been blue collar.

I'll ask you the same thing somebody asked me a few years ago.

If you could be anything, without thinking about it, what would you be?

Without hesitation, I said airline pilot. I'm sure if you're passionate about flying you will have similar thoughts.

Keep in mind flying as a career does not have to be for the airlines. Yes, flying big jets out of JFK is fun. But there's so many opportunities around you. There's a CFI job you could do on the weekends on top of your ME job. There's the banner towing, the glider towing, the skydiver jump plane, the Alaskan bush job, the police surveillance, the crop duster, the aerobatic pilot, and the corporate career path. There's SO MUCH you can do with this. If its your passion, don't let people tell you no. I've known people in their 50s start that made it to a good job.

Personally, I'm 19 studying EE, wishing I could be up in the skies right now. I can't afford it to go back to flight school but I'm going to make it work in the future. I have a good EE job that pays for school and living in the meantime. If you do follow through with this, I'll see you up there :thumbsup:

Another salient factor not mentioned by anyone is whether or not the OP has or wants to have encumbrances like a spouse or offspring. A travel-intensive career can have detrimental effects on on family life that an engineering career lacks.

tumblr_nchas4ZT931ret1p6o1_500.jpg

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. I am currently not married nor do I have kids, and am not sure they are something I want. A wife would be nice some day but I am contempt right now. I think I will start putting more effort and money into getting my ratings and see where it takes me.

I just don't see me doing this job my whole life where as I could see my self flying my whole life.

Nice you get to set your own schedule, destination, etc. Me, when the customer wanted a banner labeled '2 for 1 well at Carny's before 7' towed over the beach from 12-1PM, I had to pick up the banner, spelled right, and be over the beach from 12-1PM. If the sailplane wanted a tow right now to 3500' I towed em to 3500' right now.

I'm sure most comm pilots get to decide where, when, and who they fly.

Real sure.

You got to read the post I commented on.

I don't pick my own destinations, well not for the most part, but I'm not being treated like a drone, lowest bidder BS ether.

For those bashing the profession, do any of you work as a professional pilot, as in you're flying for a company with ATP level mins?

And yeah, in life you need to follow your passions, you're going to spend most of your life working, pick something you enjoy, life is short and no one gets out alive.

Last edited:

I found it the other way around. When I was flying 91 and 135, it was a constant battle of trying to know what was going on everywhere, because sure enough I was going to have to go fly on my "days off". 121, I know when I'm on, I know when I'm off. When I'm off, I'm off, don't do a thing for work.

OP: no offense but you don't really know if you are "really good at it" yet, you've only got 110 hours. If you want to give it a shot, start today- the clock's a tickin! Also if you aren't set on a 121 carrier your options increase drastically and age might be less of a factor. Although the oldest pilot hired at Delta in 2014 was 61...

FWIW, 121 is by far the easiest job I've ever had!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I can say is go for it. If I had a "do over" in life I would be flying something somewhere. Probably, started out in Alaska and working my way into something better. I'm not complaining, only telling you that you only live once. Go for it. Nothing worse than, "Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda".

All I can say is go for it. If I had a "do over" in life I would be flying something somewhere. Probably, started out in Alaska and working my way into something better. I'm not complaining, only telling you that you only live once. Go for it. Nothing worse than, "Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda".
True, but if you are going to have regrets you'll probably have them no matter what you choose since there was always the other path, or many other paths. As far as timing goes, this is probably a better time than 10-15 years ago for people in the OP's position.

OP: no offense but you don't really know if you are "really good at it" yet, you've only got 110 hours. If you want to give it a shot, start today- the clock's a tickin! Also if you aren't set on a 121 carrier your options increase drastically and age might be less of a factor. Although the oldest pilot hired at Delta in 2014 was 61...

FWIW, 121 is by far the easiest job I've ever had!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I realize I have only experienced a small portion of I will need to be a commercial pilot. What I have done I have done well. I got my PPL in the minimum amount of hours and the last 8 or so of those hours at least were just to fulfill the minimums. So far on IFR I have picked it up really easily, I am being held back by trying to find a safety pilot.

I know instructors are trained to encourage, but I often get comments of my skills being way ahead of most 100 hour pilots. I am however a firm believer in the quality over quantity rule. I have flown with several ATP graduates that I would never fly with again. It's really worrisome that the small sample size of ATP graduates I have experienced are so poorly trained.

Listen to the guy that said follow your dream.

Do however go in with your eyes wide open.

You're low time and young with a degree, you're in a perfect position to make the transition. Take a second part time job at the FBO, ramping, helping in the Maint shop... spend that money, and what else you can on flying and getting your rating to your CFIs. Keep flying and instructing and being at the airport as a second job.

This sets you up in a position to find opportunity into some turbine time along the way as right seat pt 91 opportunities present themselves and the qualifications to take them. Even if it doesn't open up a corporate employment opportunity, or you are looking for the airlines, having a couple hundred hours of jet time by the time you hit 1500 hrs and get your ATP to qualify gives you an edge on your competition.

It will take you longer to get there using this method (unless you buy a twin when you get your MEI and start selling Multi Time Building packages), but you will maintain your current level of income until you get to a position where your aviation income level will support a comparable quality of life. What it costs you is the 20+ hours out of your week for a few years.

I realize I have only experienced a small portion of I will need to be a commercial pilot. What I have done I have done well. I got my PPL in the minimum amount of hours and the last 8 or so of those hours at least were just to fulfill the minimums. So far on IFR I have picked it up really easily, I am being held back by trying to find a safety pilot.

I know instructors are trained to encourage, but I often get comments of my skills being way ahead of most 100 hour pilots. I am however a firm believer in the quality over quantity rule. I have flown with several ATP graduates that I would never fly with again. It's really worrisome that the small sample size of ATP graduates I have experienced are so poorly trained.

Forget my last post about looking at corporate flying. You my friend are a perfect fit for the airline. Nuff said

Well for the most part ATP Inc is a puppy mill, just run a few searches.

For your hour building you should fly coast to coast, go into Mexico, Canada, fly a glider, get your tailwheel.

Think outside the box.

I'm not a professional though I have loved flying since I can remember. Had a chance to fly at 16, stopped for college, then continued flying planes and gliders.

I always dreamed of a flying career but never really pursued it. I watched the years and hours tick by but enjoyed my non-flying career as well as a lot of intense weekend flying. The luckiest part was finding a mate that pushed me to fly more rather than less.

There were times I regretted not making the jump but frankly it's clear I took the right path for me. I've raced sailplanes, earned the usual ratings, tailwheeled about for a bit, never instructed, moved onto an airpark, built a hangar, built an RV and in retirement fly more than I drive.

So that's a path one can take.

However, you sound to me like a pro' in waiting. Jump in, pursue the dream and find out what works best for you. Sounds like you are asking the right questions and headed in the right direction. Go for it!

Back