To cold to fly....

I went up yesterday. It was about 15F which so far in my limited experience is probably the lowest so far.
Other than being able to hang the keys from my nipples while I preflighted, it wasn't too bad at all.

Yesterday was 32F and kept thinking about this thread
Began my preflight and the c172 in front of me started its engine. His prop blast for the remainder of my preflight almost made me freeze :)

The good thing is that 2 hours later I landed at warmer 75F weather. Gotta love GA

Don't know the answer, but I do have a tanis cabin heater. It keeps the cabin at 45-50 degrees when it's 20 or below outside. That way I am not freezing while starting and I have heard avionics will thank me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Would you mind describing this a bit more? Is it mounted behind the panel? Does it use the planes vent work or have a fan? I really like the idea of a permanent cabin heater that can be trusted and permanently mounted!

I went up yesterday. It was about 15F which so far in my limited experience is probably the lowest so far.
Other than being able to hang the keys from my nipples while I preflighted, it wasn't too bad at all.
We thought you hung other things from your nipples!

We thought you hung other things from your nipples!

Just these...
but I'm getting older now.
And they threw off the W&B sheet a little.

images

Would you mind describing this a bit more? Is it mounted behind the panel? Does it use the planes vent work or have a fan? I really like the idea of a permanent cabin heater that can be trusted and permanently mounted!
It can be mounted if u would like, came with diagram and stuff, I didn't. It has a fan, I leave it on close to the rudder paddles on a aluminum plate, not on the carpet, though it has 4 runner boots so the whole unit won't touch the carpet or the floor.
http://www.tanisaircraft.com/thp3094-500.html

Yesterday was 32F and kept thinking about this thread
Began my preflight and the c172 in front of me started its engine. His prop blast for the remainder of my preflight almost made me freeze

The good thing is that 2 hours later I landed at warmer 75F weather. Gotta love GA

Had to preflight the other day in below freezing temps behind an idling Cessna twin that was awaiting an IFR clearance. So friggin cold... At least the sun was out. “It’s a dry cold...” haha.

WOOHOO! Flying, finally!
After weeks of seriously bad weather, and/or a broken Cub, everything came together and I was able to get up for 1.1 hrs.
It was seriously cold, 5 degrees F on the field, and no cabin heat in the plane. Coming back, I had some moderate to severe turbulence and flew the last 10 minutes in the snow.
But I flew.
Oh, The last 300 yards I was flying a glider. Seventy-seven year old Cubs with original 65 hp engines and wooden propellers really, really don't like to throttle back in the cold.
But I flew.

WOOHOO! Flying, finally!
After weeks of seriously bad weather, and/or a broken Cub, everything came together and I was able to get up for 1.1 hrs.
It was seriously cold, 5 degrees F on the field, and no cabin heat in the plane. Coming back, I had some moderate to severe turbulence and flew the last 10 minutes in the snow.
But I flew.
Oh, The last 300 yards I was flying a glider. Seventy-seven year old Cubs with original 65 hp engines and wooden propellers really, really don't like to throttle back in the cold.
But I flew.

Awesome! It was a little warmer for me yesterday (39*). Only good thing about flying in cold air is better performance from the A65 and prop (as long as it's running!) I was cruising at 100 indicated at 2100 rpm. :)

53*, sunny, and breezy here today, went up with daughter.

Went flying for a lesson last Friday at 25 degrees F. The C-152 protested, but finally started. Went flying for an hour and froze my freaking rear off.. Only after we landed did the instructor realize he'd pulled the wrong lever and opened the fresh air vent, while leaving the cabin heat off..

29F when I was doing the preflight. My CFI was amazed with the ice. A couple of minutes in the sun and good to go
IMG_8953.jpg IMG_8954.jpg

And the reason we had no hangar that night
IMG_8955.jpg IMG_8956.jpg

Thinking about going out to do some night currency pattern work...

160335Z AUTO 23003KT 10SM CLR M30/M33 A3078

Thinking about going out to do some night currency pattern work...

160335Z AUTO 23003KT 10SM CLR M30/M33 A3078
Hey at least it's not gusting to 30

Hey at least it's not gusting to 30

Even the wind froze solid! I’ll take -20F and calm over the +10F and 25G40 we had yesterday. And it’s North Dakota: if you don’t like the weather, just wait an hour.

Even the wind froze solid! I’ll take -20F and calm over the +10F and 25G40 we had yesterday. And it’s North Dakota: if you don’t like the weather, just wait an hour.
Amen to that

Back