To buy or not to buy

So Matt, got any flying destinations in mind with the new craft?
I live in lower Michigan. The whole upper peninsula looks like fun to me and its an easy reach from 61D. Mackinac Island and St. Ignace have always appealed, but it seemed tricky to work out a rental for a long weekend. No problem now (giant grin).

Thanks guys. So far it has been challenging. I had a broker/seller accept an offer on a plane that was to go into prebuy and then never heard back and seller reneged on deal. Most planes for sale are far away and work schedule makes it tough to travel for the hunt.
I got very lucky. I was able to find three within 90 minutes of home. I would have loved to look at a couple in California and B.C. and one down south but it wasn't practical for me.

Glad it worked out. I may just wait until I'm finished my A&P then buy a semi project plane that needs avionics upgrade as the avionics work that I can do myself installing as an A&P will save me 10k in labor. That way I can break even should I sell at future date.

Glad it worked out. I may just wait until I'm finished my A&P then buy a semi project plane that needs avionics upgrade as the avionics work that I can do myself installing as an A&P will save me 10k in labor. That way I can break even should I sell at future date.
Well maybe,, smoke one radio see how well that works for ya. --- good luck.

:needpics:

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your plane. Our first plane was a C172G and we really liked her and she was great to get a feel for costs and plane ownership responsibilities.

I am sure we will meet at one of the many fly ins in Michigan.

I live in lower Michigan. The whole upper peninsula looks like fun to me and its an easy reach from 61D. Mackinac Island and St. Ignace have always appealed, but it seemed tricky to work out a rental for a long weekend. No problem now (giant grin).
I'm lower (SE) Michigan too. Mackinac Island is a good one...I have 2 fold up bikes that go with us there. Don't forget to check out North Fox Island, that's another good one. Put-In-Bay is good too. We also tried Madeline Island this past summer, but I didn't care for that one.

True but having the ability to maintain and work on my plane would save me thousands of dollars a year in maintenance. Plus it is nice to know how things work beyond being a pilot.

I'm lower (SE) Michigan too. Mackinac Island is a good one...I have 2 fold up bikes that go with us there. Don't forget to check out North Fox Island, that's another good one. Put-In-Bay is good too. We also tried Madeline Island this past summer, but I didn't care for that one.
Never heard of those three - thanks for the tip. I'll start looking....

CYZE. Do it! :)

Yes. Manitoulin Island is a beautiful place to fly to.[/Q

Checked it out - looks cool. I don't know anything about international flying yet.

Back