To be or not to be ... commercial availability of G100UL

Can’t find Ul 94 most of the time never mind G100 UL
True that.

From the article:

"NATA is a member of the End Aviation Gasoline Lead Emissions (EAGLE) group and its president Curt Castagna is the co-chairman of EAGLE."

Seems a bit of conflict:

Wanna know what I think? I think this whole thing would’ve been settled years ago if George weren’t such a pretentious, condescending, sarcastic tw-t.

“At present, G100UL is not commercially available for distribution and sale in the U.S. largely due to the fact it does not have an ASTM International product specification.”

Non sequitur. One has nothing to do with the other. “Commercial availability” <> “ASTM spec.” This is nothing more than NATA behaving like a used car salesman.

Non sequitur. One has nothing to do with the other. “Commercial availability” <> “ASTM spec.” This is nothing more than NATA behaving like a used car salesman.
I'm just wondering how long the "used car salesman" could be a hindrance ... if in fact they are at all.

I'm just wondering how long the "used car salesman" could be a hindrance ... if in fact they are at all.

I’d be surprised if it were a hindrance at all. It puts EAGLE, an FAA program funded by taxpayers, in the position of opposing the very type of fuel it’s supposed to bring about. If NATA keeps making noises like this, the optics will be terrible for the FAA.

I’d be surprised if it were a hindrance at all. It puts EAGLE, an FAA program funded by taxpayers, in the position of opposing the very type of fuel it’s supposed to bring about. If NATA keeps making noises like this, the optics will be terrible for the FAA.

Agreed ... yet it seems as if they have a point as to the liability that some may be assuming they would incur if they sell fuel without the revered "ASTM International product specification" especially if valid concerns are found with G100UL later on.

Best advice I've heard is to fly while you can still get gas ... ;)

more competitor chest beating.....nothing more than commercial politics. ;)

more competitor chest beating.....nothing more than commercial politics. ;)
Clogging up the process and as Half Fast noted it makes the FAA look bad (as if they can't do that enough on their own) ...

yet it seems as if they have a point as to the liability that some may be assuming they would incur if they sell fuel without the revered "ASTM International product specification" especially if valid concerns are found with G100UL later on.

Maybe, but I think that’s a stretch. The FAA has approved the fuel. We have many things on our planes that have STCs and no revered international specifications.

Maybe, but I think that’s a stretch. The FAA has approved the fuel. We have many things on our planes that have STCs and no revered international specifications.
Fair point. Just wonder how much they will play this to try & make themselves relevant ...

How does the FAA effectively say G100UL is no good but we approved it for every piston engine in the fleet?

I'm guessing they won't but as I understand it the FAA is not on the hook if something were to go wrong as NATA pointed out in their statement, “Because the FAA does not indemnify any entity in the supply chain for damages caused by fuel-related issues, fuel distributors and FBOs will similarly lack assurances that the unleaded fuel they are selling will not expose them to liability.”

I'm guessing they won't but as I understand it the FAA is not on the hook if something were to go wrong as NATA pointed out in their statement, “Because the FAA does not indemnify any entity in the supply chain for damages caused by fuel-related issues, fuel distributors and FBOs will similarly lack assurances that the unleaded fuel they are selling will not expose them to liability.”

Does the FAA ever indemnify anyone? Is there indemnity with an ASTM spec? Or is the spec just an affirmative defense, like an STC?

Does the FAA ever indemnify anyone? Is there indemnity with an ASTM spec? Or is the spec just an affirmative defense, like an STC?
No & no as far as I know but they may feel they have a better defense if everyone is in agreement with the new fuel.

I believe you are correct in that this is just noise but NATA obviously has a reason to toss this stumbling block in the road ...

Wanna know what I think? I think this whole thing would’ve been settled years ago if George weren’t such a pretentious, condescending, sarcastic tw-t.
I kinda like that though. I think he'd fit in fine on POA

Who...George? Nah...He's the smartest guy in the room. ;)
Interesting... I've watched several hours of video webinars with George Braly as the lead presenter... and always came away with the impression of him as an honest, well-informed, experienced-in-engines kind of guy. Clearly YMMV
Wayne

The longer this drags out, the more our airports are at risk! The lead issue seems to be picking up steam...

"NATA is a member of the End Aviation Gasoline Lead Emissions (EAGLE) group and its president Curt Castagna is the co-chairman of EAGLE."

NATA president is Co- chair of EAGLE.

That sounds like a hindrance.

I'd like to buy a vowel.

Back