TKM12D removal

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
I need to pull the 12D out of the panel for some work, Unlike my Garmin, there does't seem to be a hole in the front where you can use a hex wrench to pull it out of the panel. Is it necessaary to crawl under the panel and unscrew the cables or am I missing something?

you are missing some thing..

he babbles a bunch, but he gets it done

It comes out the same way as the Narco unit I think, you need to have/make two removal rods. It pretty much the way old car stereos work. You release the clips on both sides.

I need to pull the 12D out of the panel for some work, Unlike my Garmin, there does't seem to be a hole in the front where you can use a hex wrench to pull it out of the panel. Is it necessaary to crawl under the panel and unscrew the cables or am I missing something?

Don't know if that's helpful.

he babbles a bunch, but he gets it done
As far as I can tell, there aren't 2 holes on the sides of the radio....I've got the TKM replacement, not the original Narco. Will check again later this week.

Thanks...I have the install manual, no help there, either.

Looks to me like a screw on the back of the tray holds it in the rack by screwing into this clip-on nut (red arrow).

It has been a long time since I did anything with one of these but I believe the TKM 12D was not a slide in replacement in the Narco tray. I think it had to have the tray replaced and was more like the ARC/TKM slide ins. It does slide in or out of its tray with no wire work after initial installation but doesn't go into the tray that the Narco was in. This is the one that has the CDI lights going back and forth across the front isn't it?

I have two MK-12D Narcos in the 182 and ran into this issue. One had the socket head cap screw in the front (bottom center) of the face plate. The other seemed to be missing that hardware. I was referred to a shop by this forum and called the guy. He said that some had a wing-nut type deal in the rear with a 1/4-1/2 turn like a cowl fastener. Sure enough, that's what my COM 2 had. Otherwise identical radios.

Back