TKM MX 300 Advice

Harmonrocket1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steven
Hello All,
New Guy here. Recently purchased a 172m with tkm mx-300 that is not working (intermittent and very broken). The plane has a garmin 530w as the primary radio. Anyone have any advice on getting it repaired or what to replace it with if repairing isn't an option. Thanks

Avoid any piece of equipment with "MX" or "AD" in the model/part number. :)

Since you already have a 530W, you have to ask yourself whether or not you really need a NAV2. If the answer is "no" then a whole lot of options open up.

I do not believe i need a second nav. So don't spend the money trying to get it fixed?

I do not believe i need a second nav. So don't spend the money trying to get it fixed?
Depending on your situation, replacing it with a new COM-only radio buys you new features, more space, lighter weight, possibly better audio and a warranty.

Does the COM portion on your old one still work ok?

No the com side does not work. Never actually tried the nav side.

My opinion, repairing it might be the cheapest option (short term) but not necessarily the best option (longer term).

My opinion, repairing it might be the cheapest option (short term) but not necessarily the best option (longer term).
Thank you for your insight! Really appreciate it!

Find the nearest trash can...
Yeah I'm Beginning to see a trend. Thanks for the input!

Probably just stick a "cheaper" Garmin com in there.

It also has a adf (300 adf) in there. Thats antiquated and may as well be removed correct?

The ADF radio itself is old, and older electronics weigh a lot more than modern electronics. And then the antenna is pretty heavy because of the way ADF works, plus installers typically didn't shorten ADF antenna wiring from what I heard.

How much is 10-15lbs useful load worth to you? :)

You could just remove the TKM and get a handheld radio for a Com 2 in case of emergency.

Back