TKM MX 11

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Yesterday I received my Replacement radio for my Narco Com 11A, I slid it into the rack and it would not turn on.
So off to the Av shop at AWO, when I walked in ( they know me) the owner said right out" we don't work on that Shi-. I asked What? you won't simply bench check it? he said if it smokes don't blame me, I'll bench check it, So he did, and it worked on the bench.
I asked him why they won't work on the TKM radios, then he told me they were a dealer for them a few years ago. and ordered 5 of the MX 11s and when they arrived 3 of them would not turn on and work, when TKM was informed, they would not exchange the bad ones for new, the 3 that they had must be returned for repair. So they were sent back, and it took 4 months to get them returned as good to go, but 1 failed again when bench checked. and was returned as before, another 4 months it was returned as good to go and did bench checked good and was installed in a 150, and failed 2 weeks later.
This av shop owner will be quite happy to never see one again. he said that with in 1 year all 5 had failed and been removed from service.
I'm hopping for better service than the opinion of the Av shop.
When I put it back in the 170 I found a loose pin in the rack, and reseated it it now works.

I have had an MX11 in my plane since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. I bought a used MX12 in rough shape and sent it to TKM for repair and got it back good as new in just a few weeks. That was a few years ago, though. No issues with them.

I have had an MX11 in my plane since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. I bought a used MX12 in rough shape and sent it to TKM for repair and got it back good as new in just a few weeks. That was a few years ago, though. No issues with them.

I'm hopping for your success. I was surprised t the Av tech response. He thinks the MX11 is junk.

Not an MX-11, but my plane has had an MX-170 in it since well before I bought it 10 years ago, and it has been fine the whole time I've owned it.

I've had the MX12 (narco replacement) as my com2 for over 10 years with no problems.

Of course if I need to replace it or upgrade,it won't be TKM.

Yesterday I received my Replacement radio for my Narco Com 11A, I slid it into the rack and it would not turn on.
So off to the Av shop at AWO, when I walked in ( they know me) the owner said right out" we don't work on that Shi-. I asked What? you won't simply bench check it? he said if it smokes don't blame me, I'll bench check it, So he did, and it worked on the bench.
I asked him why they won't work on the TKM radios, then he told me they were a dealer for them a few years ago. and ordered 5 of the MX 11s and when they arrived 3 of them would not turn on and work, when TKM was informed, they would not exchange the bad ones for new, the 3 that they had must be returned for repair. So they were sent back, and it took 4 months to get them returned as good to go, but 1 failed again when bench checked. and was returned as before, another 4 months it was returned as good to go and did bench checked good and was installed in a 150, and failed 2 weeks later.
This av shop owner will be quite happy to never see one again. he said that with in 1 year all 5 had failed and been removed from service.

Still sounds better than dealing with Narco! :rofl:

Of course, you can't do that any more, they are defunct. Good riddance.

. . .and he didn't tell you it's because the sales profit margin is higher on B/K . . ? Gee, what a surprise!

No, he thinks they are junk not because they have a good profit margin. when you must make good on warrantee work free, sure cuts down the customer confidence.

Back