Titles?

What do you think about the "User Title" feature?

• Keep the present title names.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Keep titles, but change the names.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I prefer not to have a title.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have no preference.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Change names but allow us to also pick our own titles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep names but allow us to pick our own titles.

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Thanks Chuck, I moved this to the appropriate forum; sometimes I get lost meandering around here, and forget where I am. :)

Do we get to vote on whether or not we like having those titles under our names?

You can always post a poll. :) Whether or not it will persuade me to change anything, I can't say. :)

Just my 2 cents. I don't mind the titles, but I think having them so close to a real title is a bit misleading in an aviation forum. Maybe a change to something else would work.

still in preflight
getting clearance
runup complete
taking the active
in the pattern
cleared for cross country
FL18
FL19
FL40
--------------
Still titles showing forum experience, but not some so easily confused with a real thing like "sport pilot" or CFI.

Flyboy said:
Just my 2 cents. I don't mind the titles, but I think having them so close to a real title is a bit misleading in an aviation forum. Maybe a change to something else would work.

Ron,

I like your titles better also! I'd make just a couple of changes....

preflight
getting clearance
runup complete
taking the active
cleared for departure
FL180
FL190
FL400

Chip

I concur!

(this is just here to make my post long enough to be accepted)

Every is entitled to - and has an opinion. I don't mind the original titles or any of the suggested replacements. The guys who started this chat board have done a fantastic job and I have no complaints. Thank you.

Jim

Be careful what you wish for - because while you can't set your own titles, the admins can...and we might just get playful with them... ;-)

(considers changing Joe to "Grand PoohBear")...

Greebo said:
Be careful what you wish for - because while you can't set your own titles, the admins can...and we might just get playful with them... ;-)

One user's inconsequential vote for: Joe = "Grand PoohBear" ! :yes:

It goes well with his cuddly sheep avatar.
… I guess so would “Grand PooBaaahhhh”

Missa

Last edited:
Flyboy said:

What would be nice is if the title was clickable and opened a window with explanations of the titles. That way the curious could at least click on it and find out what the heck it was. But that's probably something that would have to be suggested to the software authors.

Why do we need these titles? The number of times we've posted is displayed, anyway.

Greebo said:

Now that's funny :) My wife and kid would go for it, they are huge Pooh Bear fans.

Greebo said:

Hey Chuck, would you please change mine to 'Free Spirit?" Could you change me into a Free Spirit while you're at it?

;)

Diana said:
Hey Chuck, would you please change mine to 'Free Spirit?" Could you change me into a Free Spirit while you're at it?

;)

I like that, Diana.

Maybe he can change mine to "Turbine Pilot" and arrange for a nice new turbine helicopter to be delivered into my hangar. And a truck full of Jet-A to keep it going :yes:

I like the titles. It gives me more incentive to post more. I hated beeing the 'rookie'. :)

I've added two new poll options, both involve allowing you to set your own titles. :)

Greebo said:
I've added two new poll options, both involve allowing you to set your own titles. :)
Uh-oh, I've already used up my vote!

Toby said:
Uh-oh, I've already used up my vote!
Don't worry about it, Toby. These polls are actually only intended to give you the perception of democracy, when actually Chuck is Most Exalted Supreme Ruler for Life.

preflight
getting clearance
runup complete
taking the active
cleared for departure
FL180
FL190
FL400
I like this idea - and I like it even more than the current scheme, because it really does represent a posting and flying analogy w/o making a personal statement about your own skill level.

Now - here's the decision I've come to...

I will change the titles one more time to something along this model. However, I am not, at this time, going to give the ability to change your own title to the general user base.

The reason being, there are certain features that this software supports that I have turned off for now - but as we continue to grow, and as our costs go up, I plan to enable those features as special thank-yous to users who choose to contribute to the operation of this forum We won't take any existing features away from any existing users - everything you can do now you will still be able to do.

Oh, and before anyone asks, I'm not taking about anytime soon. We don't have the growth rate or activity level yet to drive our server requirements (and thus our costs) up any higher.

Now that we have the new logo, however, we do plan to start doing more promoting of our site, like with flyers at airports and small ads, things like that. :)

How do these sound?

0 - Filing Flight Plan
30 - Pre-Flight
100 - Pre-takeoff checklist
500 - Position and Hold
1000 - Cleared for Takeoff
1500 - Pattern Altitude
2500 - En-Route
5000 - Final Approach
10000 - Touchdown! Greaser!

Greebo said:
Now that we have the new logo, however, we do plan to start doing more promoting of our site, like with flyers at airports and small ads, things like that. :)

Chuck: How about said flyer/adv. being posted here? Members could - if allowed to print same - post at our base airports or those at which we visit?
Just a thought from a software dummy but experienced in niche(spelled c-h-e-a p) marketing.

HR

Lawreston said:
Chuck: How about said flyer/adv. being posted here? Members could - if allowed to print same - post at our base airports or those at which we visit?
Just a thought from a software dummy but experienced in niche(spelled c-h-e-a p) marketing.

HR
Not Chuck nor do I play him on TV. I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently, though. And I'm much better looking. :rolleyes:

That's the plan. With the finalization of the logo, flyers, cards, and other materials are being developed for a grassroots effort to publicize the site. Stay tuned for more 'stuff' coming down the pipe.

Not that it matters, but I like the titles now. Light sport, fixed single, etc...

And hearing no objection, the revised, final version of poster titles will go in today.

Greebo said:
And hearing no objection, the revised, final version of poster titles will go in today.

Chuck, does that mean you didn't hear any, or you don't want to hear any more objections. ;)

Just kidding! Thanks for being open-minded. :)

Diana said:
Chuck, does that mean you didn't hear any, or you don't want to hear any more objections. ;)
Yes, and Yes. :)

At this point, the titles are final. They will not be changed again until our longer term plans for the future kick in. :)

As a relatively new user I am glad to see this flexibility from "management." When, if, the APOA boards come back will anybody use it?

Lance F said:
As a relatively new user I am glad to see this flexibility from "management." When, if, the APOA boards come back will anybody use it?
I will. I've always considered the AOPA forums to be an excellent resource, and frankly, they're still easier to find than we are. :)

We're working on it though...

Back