Tired of having your wireless internet stolen?

A question out of genuine curiosity. I though the wireless stuff just broadcast, like TV and radio. If another computer picked it up, why would that affect you? Why would you care?

I really don't know, and am curious.

If another computer picked it up, why would that affect you? Why would you care?
a) If they're using it at the same time that you are, there can be contention for the network (both the wireless network, and your access to the internet), and you could see things slow.

b) If they're doing something "naughty", they'll effectively be doing it under your address, sort of like somebody making crank calls from your telephone number.

c) by gaining access to your network, there is the potential capability of snooping on your activities, or making mischief with your computers, accessing your files, etc. Your average free-loader isn't after this, but it's another reason for protecting your wireless network

d) It's mine! I paid for it! Get off my lawn you damn, dirty hippies!
-harry

Last edited:
a) If they're using it at the same time that you are, there can be contention for the network (both the wireless network, and your access to the internet), and you could see things slow.

a) 1) Some internet providers are kicking off high-bandwidth users on the grounds that they consume more than their fair share of resources. Right or wrong, it's-a happenin.

a) 1) Some internet providers are kicking off high-bandwidth users on the grounds that they consume more than their fair share of resources. Right or wrong, it's-a happenin.
Many have also used home connections for business use and even placed servers on static IPs. There has been an effort to cut out those attempting to skirt the cost for commercial accounts which tend to be quadruple residential IPS accounts.

A question out of genuine curiosity. I though the wireless stuff just broadcast, like TV and radio. If another computer picked it up, why would that affect you? Why would you care?

I really don't know, and am curious.

a) 1) Some internet providers are kicking off high-bandwidth users on the grounds that they consume more than their fair share of resources. Right or wrong, it's-a happening.
That is true. But there simply is no law that says this is theft. Quite to the contrary the FCC and their regulations allow you to intercept the signal. The only band that is protected form interception is the 800MHz cellular band and that law came into affect as a result of Newt Gingrich having his phone call recorded.

Now if the person encrypted the signal and made a good effort to prevent unauthorized usage then an argument can be made for theft of service.

There was a cable TV case a few years back where the cable company had poorly shielded junction boxes and were transmitting. People were able to receive the signal without touching any cable company equipment. The CTV company tried to claim theft of service but lost with the administrative judge from the FCC and the FCC actually fined the CTV company for transmitting without a license.

I believe there was a case made way way way back when, in the VMS days, where the login greeted you with "Welcome to..." and that was used to let some early hackers get off scott-free ... of course, I could just be "mis-remembering" :)

There have been arrests made...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/122153/the_case_of_the_stolen_wifi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_piggybacking

At least two people have been found guilty and paid fines of $250 and $400. Charges have been much worse.
Where they busting the encryption?

They also might have been able to fight the Florida law on that incerptation of airwaves is outside the jursidiction of local government as the FCC would be the federal agency with preemption rights.

How can I tell who in on my wireless network? It's easy to see what networks are available to my computer, but how do I turn that around?

Where they busting the encryption?

Nope... Just picking up the wide-open signals spilling out into parking lots, streets, and their own houses.

You want a big-brother moment? Check out this quote:

Coincidentally, the cafe owner that Peterson was leeching WiFi off of didn't even realize that what Peterson was doing was a crime at the time. Neither did the police officer. "I had a feeling a law was being broken, but I didn't know exactly what," Sparta police chief Andrew Milanowski told the TV station.

So, you'd better not do anything the cop won't do, because if they "feel a law was being broken" they'll detain you until they figure out what that law is, and then arrest you. Nice, huh?

So, you'd better not do anything the cop won't do, because if they "feel a law was being broken" they'll detain you until they figure out what that law is, and then arrest you. Nice, huh?

Not only are there cops and almost-cops making up laws like prohibiting taking pictures of anything in public "for security reasons," it turns out there are petty con-men teeefs who use that ruse to steal the memory card from your camera. You know. It's worth like $20 at full retail.

How can I tell who in on my wireless network? It's easy to see what networks are available to my computer, but how do I turn that around?

My router has software that puts up a flag on my primary computer anytime anything connects to my network. And I can look to see what's connected at any time.

Back