Tired of fighting with the FAA

S

scotty7482

I'm 61 and have been type II diabetic for decades, but with my condition completely under control.
I just came back from losing my medical for 6 months *again*. I am soooo sick of fighting with the FAA. The first time they yanked my medical was when I was first diagnosed with type II "until my condition stablized". This time was complete BS. They claimed they sent me a letter requesting further information after I had already been issued a medical (a SODA). The letter I did get was a letter revoking my medical and threatening legal action. I called them immediately and explained I never got that letter, then I got the SODA they requested, then they explained very carefully to me that I could not fly until they approved that. Months pass. They then required I *refile* all my medical documentation, even though it was not due (by their own rules!). More months pass. Finally after 6 months they reissue.

I have complied with everything the FAA asked of me. They wanted me to file my medical info every year, I do that. I have never flunked any of my medical tests, my condition is far from serious. Yet they demonstrate that they can and will yank my medical arbitrarily, retroactively and (effectively) without notice. I have given them my phone, my email, and asked them to please, please contact me for any reason. The letter they sent me asking me to get a new SODA was not sent via registered mail, but the letter revoking my medical was.

Do I need to get a lawyer to keep my flight privileges? I get the distinct feeling that they are simply going with the fact that I am over 60 and have issues (type II). They are very efficient at taking away my flight privileges, but then the system grinds on for months to get it back. I put a lot of money and work into keeping my aircraft and my flying skills only to get slapped down by the FAA.

If I read your comment, you did get it back. Is there a reason you do not go BasicMed?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

If I read your comment, you did get it back. Is there a reason you do not go BasicMed?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My understanding, and I asked the ME, that I cannot get basic med with a condition such as I have.

My understanding, and I asked the ME, that I cannot get basic med with a condition such as I have.

Why? Once you you have your SI, what prevents you from going Basic Med? I did not think Diabetes was on the disqualification list. (I could be wrong, I have only paid cursory attention to basicmed).

Tim

Wrong. I'm over 60, Type 2, Class 3 no problem. Then went Basic Med. Your ME is not reading the FAA AME book correctly.

Wrong. I'm over 60, Type 2, Class 3 no problem. Then went Basic Med. Your ME is not reading the FAA AME book correctly.

I'm searching for another ME. She received the letter I didn't. No call. Nothing.

I'll ask about the basic med again. Note that my medical issuance is that "you don't meet the standards for a medical, however"... from the FAA.

Honestly, I spent an hour on the phone with the FSDO begging, pleading for them to put a note in my file to use the phone or email next time. The mail delivery here is no great shakes. I get someone else's mail like once a month.

Call the RFS office and get informed about the process as it applies to you. Take command of your own situation and find an AME to help.

That’s not uncommon. Several of us on this site have threads describing the rediculous reasons for getting deferrals and the extreme measures we’ve had to go through to learn and then educate others involved about the processes.

I'm searching for another ME. She received the letter I didn't. No call. Nothing.

I'll ask about the basic med again. Note that my medical issuance is that "you don't meet the standards for a medical, however"... from the FAA.

Honestly, I spent an hour on the phone with the FSDO begging, pleading for them to put a note in my file to use the phone or email next time. The mail delivery here is no great shakes. I get someone else's mail like once a month.

Is that (bolded) on what you are basing the belief that you cannot qualify for BasicMed? If so I don't think so but you need an expert opinion. Assuming you can accept the operational limitations of BasicMed you should go for it. In which case you don't need Dr. Chien's full service but he stated that his website doesn't "exactly" say that and the last sentence gives a hint: he is selective in who he helps meaning those who lie to him or waste his time won't be tolerated.

I'm going to bet an email exchange will clear it up. Dr. Chien would need to be informed of any other conditions you might not be mentioning on this board and might want to see the actual letter from the FAA.

There is another good AME on this board too, lbfjrmd.

But I am thinking when the FAA says you don't qualify for a medical they mean class I,II,III. But I might be wrong, just contact one of these off the board.

That’s not uncommon. Several of us on this site have threads describing the rediculous reasons for getting deferrals and the extreme measures we’ve had to go through to learn and then educate others involved about the processes.
Very true, which is why I took the trip from Denver to Peoria a few years ago to visit Dr Bruce. I wasn't going to take a chance with anyone around here. Too many stories.

In the interest of accuracy, my FAA letter says:

"the medical evidence reveals a history of diabetes mellitus requiring oral hypoglycemic medication... you are ineligible for third class medical certification... you may be granted authorization for special issuance third class airman medical.."

And the letter contains that medical, good for one year.

That is absolutely not true. Read the statute yourself. DM2 is not among the disqualifying conditions, and even if it was, the only requirement would be a one-time special issuance, which you already have. Either your AME is misinformed, or you have more going on than DM2 and you don't yet have an SI for it (e.g., coronary disease that has required treatment).

That is absolutely not true. Read the statute yourself. DM2 is not among the disqualifying conditions, and even if it was, the only requirement would be a one-time special issuance, which you already have. Either your AME is misinformed, or you have more going on than DM2 and you don't yet have an SI for it (e.g., coronary disease that has required treatment).

SI = "special issuance" ? or?

So you have the SI. Regular DM type 2 with non insulin oral medication is disqualifying but issuable with an SI. After the first SI it becomes a CACI condition. (Condition AME Can Issue).

But...it sounds like the hassle of it all is a real pain for you. You got an SI and you got the medical. If that has not been revoked, go with Basicmed. It requires an online training class, a physical with your personal doctor and he signs a form. You are done for 4 years.

Sounds to me like a perfect scenario for BasicMed. Eventually, if you keep doing SIs, the FAA is going to win the incompetency battle.

Take it out of their hands. They are not remotely qualified to determine whether you are safe to fly or not - only you are qualified to make that determination after receiving a physical from your Primary Care Physician.

This scenario is pretty much what senate had in mind when they informed the FAA of their incompetence in the first place.

alright. What can I say, I have work to do. Thanks all for the information.

On the bright side, I went flying today. I had my cockpit redone .. 6 months ago. Got home and found that stupid letter denying my medical and could not fly my plane for 6 months. I have flown since I was 15.

alright. What can I say, I have work to do. Thanks all for the information.

On the bright side, I went flying today. I had my cockpit redone .. 6 months ago. Got home and found that stupid letter denying my medical and could not fly my plane for 6 months. I have flown since I was 15.
Are you saying that you have NOT received the special issuance?

Are you saying that you have NOT received the special issuance?

I think he was referring to six months ago when he got the letter. The way he worded it does sound like he got another letter today but I don't think that's the case.

So you have the SI. Regular DM type 2 with non insulin oral medication is disqualifying but issuable with an SI. After the first SI it becomes a CACI condition. (Condition AME Can Issue).

But...it sounds like the hassle of it all is a real pain for you. You got an SI and you got the medical. If that has not been revoked, go with Basicmed. It requires an online training class, a physical with your personal doctor and he signs a form. You are done for 4 years.

He is done with doctors for 4 years, but has to retake the online class and print the certificate in 2 years.

Too late for that now. He's been revoked. He'll need to hoops to get it reinstated. After that he can go basic med for the future.

Like tspear says in post number 2, I think he got reinstated after the revocation. That's how I read the initial post anyway.

That's the way I read it too. He lost his medical for 6 months, but was then reissued. The first post said that he "just came back" from that debacle, and wants to know how to keep it from happening again.

Yes, I received my SI a few days ago, and started flying yesterday. I'll look at the basic med option, probably starting with finding a new ME, since my current one is not helping me much.

Yes, I received my SI a few days ago, and started flying yesterday. I'll look at the basic med option, probably starting with finding a new ME, since my current one is not helping me much.
You don't need an aviation medical examiner (AME) to do BasicMed. Any state-licensed physician can do it. Some AME's do them and some don't. (The same is true of non-AMEs.)

I was tired of playing the FAA's game to maintain my SI. AME's aren't in the business of practicing medicine, they practice administration. My real doctors do a fine job with my health. I don't need them to answer to the FAA when it has no bearing on my health or competence. BasicMed fixes the problem.

You don't need an aviation medical examiner (AME) to do BasicMed. Any state-licensed physician can do it. Some AME's do them and some don't. (The same is true of non-AMEs.)

I agree, but I figure that an AME, a smart one, could help me get this going. Then do the regular doctor thing when renewing it.

I agree, but I figure that an AME, a smart one, could help me get this going. Then do the regular doctor thing when renewing it.

Since I move a lot and don't have a primary care doc right now, I took the Basic Med package to the local urgent care. $60 later, I'm on my way. I'll worry about who to do the next one in the Fall of 2022.

I took the Basic Med package to the local urgent care. $60 later, I'm on my way.
That was my experience.... I had to elaborate on a few questions the doctor had that the AOPA packet didn't cover, but once the doctor understood, he said he was okay to do the exam and was ready to get started.

If you do use a "doc in the box" type place, try to pick one that does lots of school, camp, athletics, and DOT physicals. And then go when they aren't super busy. I found that by doing these two items, my wait time was minimal, and the doctor a bit more willing to do something new to his routine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back