Tips

John Silas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
johnsilasjr
Hey all,

Through this mini quarantine I've realized that once it ends will be the perfect time to get my pilots license. I'm 25 now and have wanted it forever and just kept putting it off.

Any tips you guys wish you knew when you first started to make the process more smoothly?

Start by building your checking account up to the proper level, you’ll thank me later!

+1 big time! don't go into debt.

my only regret is i didn't finish sooner. started lessons in 1982. was just about to solo when my wife suffered a serious leg injury on a ski trip. she was off work for 6-mos so couldn't afford to continue flyjng. fast forward to 2012. i'm retired now and for 30-years i had been putting aside a modest amount towards resuming lessons. got my SPL and am very happy. just wish i hadn't waited so long.

get your ground school out of the way first. your CFI will apply what you learned during your lessons.

Finding a flight instructor is easy. Finding one that's worth your time and money that is not eat up with his own ego is a bit more difficult. Great instructors are out there in abundance ... find one that loves aviation, desires to pass along the gift of aviation, and has the ability to actually train.

Edit to add:

This is a lengthy video but tolerate as much as you can before you ask yourself if you would want to use the same instructor he had:

Last edited:
Tips are a great idea. $20 for your CFI after every lesson, and maybe $50 or $100 to the examiner after your checkride is about right. Maybe $10 for your written exam proctor if you pass.

Tips are a great idea. $20 for your CFI after every lesson, and maybe $50 or $100 to the examiner after your checkride is about right. Maybe $10 for your written exam proctor if you pass.
What about a tip for each of us for offering our tips?

Agree with ground school now. Will help through out, allow one to communicate with instructors more easily, save up the money, allow one to better judge a good vs bad instructor. I actually had one instructor that did not know the written knowledge part of flying as well as I did, and he was a retired airline pilot(he sure did know how to fly however, but we parted ways early).

Don't start and stop, try to fly at least twice a week when you start. Don't worry if it seems you aren't getting it, it will come. Keep at it, don't get discouraged. It's a lot more involved than driving. If you can't financially do at least twice a week, then consider waiting and saving up. Finally weather can slow you down. Nothing you can do about that, so don't get discouraged. It great when you get that license.

Thanks for all the tips. Definitely going to look into online ground schools now.

If you are a book learner, just buy a study guide and go from there. "School" isn't required.
Does the school help or is book learning sufficient combined with the CFI?

Technically, you don't even need to buy a study guide or an online ground school. I passed my written in March by reading the FAA handbooks (which, by the way, are denser than Christmas fruitcake), watching/reading through the free online Fly8MA ground school, and taking a few online practice tests so my CFI and I knew I was ready for the written. So I prepped for my written entirely online and for free. The plus side is, it also prepared me to be a much more knowledgeable student as well.

I think whether the school helps is determined mostly by your learning style and how strongly motivated you are to do stuff on your own timetable.

Completely depends on the student.

I used the PHAK, the ASA study guide, and Sporty’s online practice tests. No formal ground school.

Some people learn best from a live lecture and discussion.

Neither way is “better,” just different. How do you learn best?

Back