Tips / Suggestions on Controlling the Weather

Time for another delay..... Plane is good, I’ve had a couple flights since it’s return from maintenance, logbooks and sign-offs are verified good, but we’ve got a heck of a weather system on top of the area. Too early to text the DPE as I get up early but I imagine it’ll be a while before her schedule is good for another checkride. Feel like I’m going to add another 20 hours of flight time before I get to the checkride. ☹️

Time for another delay..... Plane is good, I’ve had a couple flights since it’s return from maintenance, logbooks and sign-offs are verified good, but we’ve got a heck of a weather system on top of the area. Too early to text the DPE as I get up early but I imagine it’ll be a while before her schedule is good for another checkride. Feel like I’m going to add another 20 hours of flight time before I get to the checkride. ☹️

Been there. Done that. I feel your pain...

Sorry Bill. Look at it this way. At this rate, you'll be close to the hours for commercial rating!

If it's any consolation, I added a chunk of hours as well prior to check ride. Getting more instruction and polish from CFI's is always good - I'm looking for the positive in it.

Last edited:
lol, pretty sure commercial isn't anywhere near my dream. Just a guy that wants to take his wife out on expensive dates for mediocre hamburgers. :) I do see the positive in more time before my checkride though. Heck, I feel more prepared now than I did when my CFI told me to schedule the ride. I'll just keep plugging along to hone my flying skills and ensure every maneuver is within the ACS. Pretty confident in that now but it doesn't hurt to always strive and practice for improvement.

Just a guy that wants to take his wife out on expensive dates for mediocre hamburgers.

Same here. And wife wants to fly to the beach (Hilton Head from Atlanta is about 2 hours), stalk, I mean "visit" our grown children in Louisville and KC, fly to see friends, etc. She already has quite the list!

Sending good wishes for the weather for you!

Will, did the weather ever cooperate for your check ride?

Will, did the weather ever cooperate for your check ride?
Latest date is a week from today and as of right now it is the best outlook I’ve had so far. Have to get one more hour with an instructor and have that scheduled tomorrow. Otherwise, I’m getting back to the flash cards to brush up on a few things, I’ll get back into the iPad to reacquaint myself with the far/aim and keeping positive thoughts. I flew with the tough and intimidating CFI at the school last week and didn’t suck so crossing my fingers that the forecast holds out.

Tomorrow is the big day. Just went for a flight and it was a bit bouncy in the air with some unstable air. Forecast tomorrow is better though. Crossing fingers

Best of luck - you’ll do great what with all the extra practice. Just get a good nights sleep

Last edited:
Ask school children, the TV box tells me they know all and we should listen to them?

Weather good for check ride?

Weather good for check ride?
Weather was great. Checkride was pushed again as the person before took longer than expected. But I still got it done and passed!!!! Got home a little while ago and went out for the celebratory steak and beer.

So..... office is closed, everyone is working from home. Be nice to get out after hours or on weekend for a few hours of X country or pattern work for a nice change of pace. But no......... it's either raining with low cloud cover or not raining with low cloud cover. MIGHT have 2 hours of above marginal VFR randomly pop up, then back to IFR. Bah! Y You'd think I lived someplace like the Pacific Northwest. ;)

So..... office is closed, everyone is working from home. Be nice to get out after hours or on weekend for a few hours of X country or pattern work for a nice change of pace. But no......... it's either raining with low cloud cover or not raining with low cloud cover. MIGHT have 2 hours of above marginal VFR randomly pop up, then back to IFR. Bah! Y You'd think I lived someplace like the Pacific Northwest. ;)
Ha, I feel your pain. Had a Cessna reserved to get comfortable in the plane my wife will want to take and ceilings were at 200 ft until my reservation was over.

@Will Kumley you have seen the truth: Mother Nature hates checkrides!

Now that you have snuck a successful check ride by her while she was busy elsewhere, she continues to play with you... Stick with it, and maybe burn a few bat wings or lizard toenails to buy her off for a while. And Congratulations, by the way... -Skip

Back