Tipping FBO Staff

I would be very annoyed if I got a tip for doing something for someone and we had to pool it and split with the guy that sat on his butt.

So the guy that works the front line, and has access to all the tippers gets to keep the tips, while the guy busting his ass in the 100LL truck fueling the flight school planes gets zero? Or the CSR who has to deal with grumpy pilots all day while answer the phone and coordinating everything from catering to hotels, also gets zero?

Also, its called being part of a team.

So the guy that works the front line, and has access to all the tippers gets to keep the tips, while the guy busting his ass in the 100LL truck fueling the flight school planes gets zero? Or the CSR who has to deal with grumpy pilots all day while answer the phone and coordinating everything from catering to hotels, also gets zero?

Also, its called being part of a team.

People can argue this til the end of time. I don’t think pooling tips is good. So if you go out of your way to do a stellar job, and the other line guy just does the bare minimum all day. Is it right the people that just do the bare minimum should get the tips?

Now the FBO at Xmas when all the tenants give nice fats tips, that is known it will be pooled. But if one of them always went the extra mile, I make sure he gets more just for himself.

Have you ever worked in a job based on tips? I have, so I have my personal view. And remember these workers at some places get good pay, so they aren’t relying on tips for survival.

Yup, I worked at a FBO that pooled our tips.

If the guy towing that day slacked off, and didn't get a customers airplane to the front line in time, the guy working the front line probably won't get as good of a tip. Same if the guy driving the jet truck that day made the customer wait. If the CSR didn't relay an important message, we'd probably get less of a tip. It is called being part of a team. Sounds like you worked for a crappy FBO where everyone was out for themselves. I was lucky enough to work for one where the camaraderie and teamwork was top notch, and we were always in the top 10 of all the independent FBO's in the country.

Why do Americans think they have to tip everyone?
Because some positions require it for their wages. A waitress or bartender that does a good job will earn a better living than one that does the minimum. I have lived in a few different countries and the level of "service" provided by restaurant staff in places that don't expect tips is..... interesting. France was the worst with wait staff standing around literally smoking and joking. It promotes hard work for their income.

Flame suit on..

Yup, I worked at a FBO that pooled our tips.

If the guy towing that day slacked off, and didn't get a customers airplane to the front line in time, the guy working the front line probably won't get as good of a tip. Same if the guy driving the jet truck that day made the customer wait. If the CSR didn't relay an important message, we'd probably get less of a tip. It is called being part of a team. Sounds like you worked for a crappy FBO where everyone was out for themselves. I was lucky enough to work for one where the camaraderie and teamwork was top notch, and we were always in the top 10 of all the independent FBO's in the country.

working at an FBO isn’t really a job based on tips. Waiter, bartender, can driver, even stripper, they are jobs that are based on tips. Those tips are the bulk of what you make to live on.

I never worked at an FBO, but I did bartender, waiter. And you learn you wanna pay the rent you bust your but to get good tips. The slow waiter, well that was their problem of they couldn’t pay the rent. I wasn’t sharing my hard earned dollars with them.

I had never heard of tipping at an FBO until I started flying charter and began using facilities at larger airports. All the years I worked line I never received or expected a tip. When I worked for companies that covered tips I paid tips. Never one from my pocket. FFS some of the line guys were making more than me early in my career. I didn’t want a tip … unless it was a lead for a better paying job.

What are you flying? $5 on a bug smasher seems appropriate if they help with bags and such. If they waive sticks at me at that’s it, I don’t see where the service element of tipping comes in.
i agree

You don't like my spelling? I don't either. English spelling is so ridiculous it deserves to be spelled anyway one wants to. Spanish is always 100% phonetic and sounds better, too.

part of the thread drift: look up Gallagher's comedy routines about English words and how to pronounce them (youtube has them)

Back