Tipping FBO Staff

Personally I think the whole tipping thing in the US has become nuts. The craziest tipping story I have heard is the student pilot after passing his practical test trying to tip the DPE. That did not go well.
Tipping afterwards seems a bit more ethical than tipping at the beginning I guess. When I did my checkride the DPE took cash or venmo. If I knew the guy enough to gauge his sense of humor I would have tipped him in a wad of singles but I figured for my first check ride I might be crossing the line.

I brought a box of cupcakes to the FBO to thank them for letting me use their last remaining courtesy car far longer than I considered courteous. It was the van they use as a ramp vehicle and I figured that I had inconvenienced the entire staff equally, so they all got cupcakes. It seemed to go over well.

I tip the line staff if I'm there when they fuel the plane. For me it is about kindness. I'm part of a large enough club they won't know one pilot from another, so I'm not expecting better service. Plus the FBO staff have changed over many times since I started flying at the airport. Three sets of owners in the past couple of years ( FTC sold to Lynx sold to Atlantic).

I tend to carry a hundred or two in cash all the time. Very old school I guess but I tend to pay cash when dealing with family business and proprietors. I think they appreciate avoiding CC overhead.

However this morning I exchanged (3) $100 bills for 54,000 in Argentina Pesos. Unfortunately the exchange was out of 1,000 Peso notes so now we have over (100) 500 Peso bills.

May need to rethink this cash thing for the sake of my pants pockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I tend to carry a hundred or two in cash all the time. Very old school I guess but I tend to pay cash when dealing with family business and proprietors. I think they appreciate avoiding CC overhead.

However this morning I exchanged (3) $100 bills for 54,000 in Argentina Pesos. Unfortunately the exchange was out of 1,000 Peso notes so now we have over (100) 500 Peso bills.

May need to rethink this cash thing for the sake of my pants pockets.

Welcome to hyperinflation. When I was there in 2000, it was 1 peso to 1 USD. You could also walk around Buenos Aires at pretty much anytime at night and be safe.

Welcome to hyperinflation. When I was there in 2000, it was 1 peso to 1 USD. You could also walk around Buenos Aires at pretty much anytime at night and be safe.
At the rate we're going maybe we'll catch up.

I did not know this until recently, when told by a payroll accountant.

• Where an employee does not receive sufficient tips to make up the difference between the direct (or cash) wage payment (which must be at least $2.13 per hour) and the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference.
  • Where an employee receives tips only and is paid no cash wage, the full minimum wage is owed.
  • Where deductions for walk-outs, breakage, or cash register shortages reduce the employee’s wages below the minimum wage, such deductions are illegal. When an employer claims an FLSA 3(m) tip credit, the tipped employee is considered to have been paid only the minimum wage for all non-overtime hours worked in a tipped occupation and the employer may not take deductions for walkouts, cash register shortages, breakage, cost of uniforms, etc., because any such deduction would reduce the tipped employee’s wages below the minimum wage.
  • Where a tipped employee is required to contribute to a tip pool that includes employees who do not customarily and regularly receive tips, the employee is owed the full $7.25 minimum wage and reimbursement of the amount of tips that were improperly utilized by the employer.
From this link: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/15-flsa-tipped-employees

Nothing about negative tipping though ;)

The good news is that you can still run around Patagonia and catch fish!

I tipped a line kid after he fueled my plane the other day. I actually felt weirder tipping him for doing his job than when I don’t tip (I don’t usually tip for fuel).

The only guy I tip is my local line chief who always takes care of me. $100 at Christmas gets me good service all year round.

I have never tipped FBO personnelle in 69 years of flying. And nobody has ever given me a tip. Wages si, tips no!

Last edited:
Personally I think the whole tipping thing in the US has become nuts. The craziest tipping story I have heard is the student pilot after passing his practical test trying to tip the DPE. That did not go well.

That's not out of control, that's just plain ignorant.

Perhaps now you understand why tipping is considered rude in Asian culture. In Asian culture, a person's job defines who they are and how they are valued in society. This is true from waiters to doctors. For a person to work at a job that requires "hand out" from the customers is degrading!! I'm sure that is the same reason why tipping a DPE didn't go so well.

I have never tipped FBO personnelle in 69 years of flying. And nobody has ever given me a tip. Wages si, tips no!

I wouldn't tip you either based on your spelling :)

Seriously though, while it has been a long time, when I was a ramper, I don't remember ever expecting a tip. It was cool when the biz jet guys threw you a $20 for dumping the lav and pumping some jet-A+PRIST, but it was a min wage college job and I enjoyed being around planes. I say that because I remember actually being paid ok for what it was, and not like a restaurant server where the tip is needed to make you whole for your time. When it comes to that, I tip well.

You don't like my spelling? I don't either. English spelling is so ridiculous it deserves to be spelled anyway one wants to. Spanish is always 100% phonetic and sounds better, too.

The last time I was in Singapore, I took the ferry over to Batam, Indonesia for the day. I changed $40 US upon arrival. Received 520,000 Rupia in return.
I felt like I had some serious walking around money, but didn't manage to spend even half of it during my time there.
B31F95C0-942F-439E-B158-EFEDF93B2E1E.jpeg

Most places I visit don't have line staff to help. But every Christmas I tip my home drone line staff $10-20 each or bring unadulterated brownies or cookies (depends if I have a job or not!) Which I haven't done yet this year because I didn't do much flying over the holidays, so next time I'm at the airport, I'll take care of it.

Poker actually. I rarely win any money in golf unless I get completely lucky. Or I have a tailwind on my drive and the other hackers have a headwind.

I guess ‘having cash’ is part of my preflight. Always good to have cash on hand, although I never really thought about it for tipping, specifically. More for unexpected stuff, mx, h00kers n blow, you know…
For those of us living in proximity to the hills....I've had car problems in the winter at a ski area, had to get a tow truck. Trust me - cash is the only way to go. Dad taught me to keep a $100 folded up and stashed just for these types of issues. Also great for liars poker. I have a 5, 10 and 20 that will always win.

Many years ago small group from the company went to Boston for a conference - before laptops were so small. That meant "luggable" computers, cables, everything we needed because we were presenting and had a booth at the convention center. I came prepared with a stack of 5, 10s and 20s and took charge of "logistics". The bell staff were at my beck and call all week. My boss, who rarely traveled, was astonished how smoothly everything went. I let him have his illusions. Plus he signed my expense report without even looking at it.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to tip a percentage of the bill at the FBO, nor is a tip necessary in all situations. Line staff are not a tipped position. But I know the line staff always appreciates getting slipped a $20 when they do a good job for you.
I tried tipping once in the States, and the FBO guy — an older gentleman — politely refused it. It was awkward, and it felt like I'd been patronizing him.

Since then, I've avoided tipping in the U.S. except in obvious situations (like a shuttle driver taking me to the train station). In Canada, I don't think tipping at FBOs is a thing ... unless I'm that one jerk who doesn't know about it. :)

My wife works at the FBO and is always disappointed when the line guys get tipped but she doesn't. She understands the line guys do the fueling, cleaning, etc. but she always appreciates when someone gives her a tip for coordinating the planes, fueling, etc. Sounds like most people tip $20-100 per worker depending on size of plane and work requested.

The last time I was in Singapore, I took the ferry over to Batam, Indonesia for the day. I changed $40 US upon arrival. Received 520,000 Rupia in return.
I felt like I had some serious walking around money, but didn't manage to spend even half of it during my time there.
View attachment 103696

In Thailand, a fist full of baht did the same thing. Couple hundy in changed US bills made me feel like I was in a rap video. I knew I was in trouble when the bills came in bricks.

I usually tip a 5'er since the line guys driving the fuel trucks are all young kids (well old-enough-to-drive-age kids) and most of them are interested in aviation... so if I have cash on me, I'll tip. Honestly, I feel bad when I don't have a 5 to give. I know they get paid. I know I don't have to tip. But if it gets them a burger or a pack of smokes or (part of) a six pack, then great... hope they enjoy it. They deserve it. But it's a personal opinion. Lots of folks on our ramp don't tip and I don't think anything less of them for not doing it. Totally a personal preference.

Back in the stone age when I was a ramp rat, I worked my butt off and I don't remember ever receiving a tip.

I did get a sort of hug from Patty Wagstaff after reaching into her Pitts and pulling the mixture handle for her. She was unable to get it all the way out because of some friction related issue...

That was enough reward for me. :D

Perhaps now you understand why tipping is considered rude in Asian culture. In Asian culture, a person's job defines who they are and how they are valued in society. This is true from waiters to doctors. For a person to work at a job that requires "hand out" from the customers is degrading!! I'm sure that is the same reason why tipping a DPE didn't go so well.

You think the DPE thought a tip was rude?

Honestly, I feel bad when I don't have a 5 to give.

Aaaaaaaand imma quote my own post. Flew tonight to get some night landings in (and just cause it's awesome to fly at night).... got back to the hangar, called the fuel truck and... d'oh. Zero ducats in my wallet..... I couldn't even make eye contact... :(

I'm guessing that a 'generous handshake' is code for a "Jackson sandwich".

She gives him a generous tip. He is a regular route driver for WM and gets out of the truck to wheel our cart back down the driveway.

She gives him a generous tip. He is a regular route driver for WM and gets out of the truck to wheel our cart back down the driveway.
Right. I was guessing it was an Andrew Jackson (aka $20 bill) sandwiched within the handshake.

Ah ok, I'll remove my mind from the gutter. Pretty sure I've seen a documentary about that though...

My wife works at the FBO and is always disappointed when the line guys get tipped but she doesn't. She understands the line guys do the fueling, cleaning, etc. but she always appreciates when someone gives her a tip for coordinating the planes, fueling, etc. Sounds like most people tip $20-100 per worker depending on size of plane and work requested.

They don't pool the tips? That is BS! At the FBO I worked at, we would split the tips up at the end of the shift between everyone, front desk included.

Aaaaaaaand imma quote my own post. Flew tonight to get some night landings in (and just cause it's awesome to fly at night).... got back to the hangar, called the fuel truck and... d'oh. Zero ducats in my wallet..... I couldn't even make eye contact... :(

I feel this way when I take the SEA garage shuttle and realize I have forgotten to make a stop at an ATM to get some tip cash. I almost never carry cash though, so it is truly a conscious effort to remember.

Back in the stone age when I was a ramp rat, I worked my butt off and I don't remember ever receiving a tip.

I did get a sort of hug from Patty Wagstaff after reaching into her Pitts and pulling the mixture handle for her. She was unable to get it all the way out because of some friction related issue...

That was enough reward for me. :D
Did she pull your mixture later to say thanks?

You don't like my spelling? I don't either. English spelling is so ridiculous it deserves to be spelled anyway one wants to. Spanish is always 100% phonetic and sounds better, too.
Miercoles... Phonetic? Hardly?

In English that would be pronounced "Myer coals" phonetically.

That said, WeDNesday certainly ain't anywhere near phonetic either...

And, it takes twice as many words to say something in Spanish than in English... And often backwards as well.

Tipping at FBOs... Not something I've thought about. Hmmm.

They don't pool the tips? That is BS! At the FBO I worked at, we would split the tips up at the end of the shift between everyone, front desk included.

I would be very annoyed if I got a tip for doing something for someone and we had to pool it and split with the guy that sat on his butt.

Miercoles... Phonetic? Hardly?

In English that would be pronounced "Myer coals" phonetically.

/QUOTE]You can't pronounce it in English phonetically because English is not a true phonetic language. I have often thought of writing (raiting) an English dictionary with both the correct English spelling followed by a phonetic spelling using standard QWERTY letters with Spanish pronunciation. Either spelling would be considered correct (corect). I said thought about it not actually (actualy) doing it.

Tak abaut thred drift!

Tipping wait staff is actually a pretty good way of cutting out the middleman.

Back