Tinnitus and......my friend

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
So, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who has had tinnitus for awhile now, however recently (in the last year) it has gotten progressively worse, to the point where whispers are inaudible and anything quieter than a normal conversation just turns into background noise. What should/can he do and what would be the aeromedical repercussions of this?

edit: My friend is also on no medication and hasn't had any sudden injuries or whatever that could have possibly caused something like this

Last edited:
Use it as a point of meditation. It's like a modem buzzing, see if you can follow it back with your mind.

Tinnitus and hearing loss aren't necessarily the same thing. I would advise this distant friend to go to an audiologist.

On a related note, I've recently seen a few links/articles about a proposed treatment for tinnitus, where electromagnetic pulses are used to "reset" the neurons near the ears. Not sure if it's just another flavor of snake oil or not, but the press is guardedly positive so far.

I've had tinnitus all my life. I don't remember a time when I didn't, even as a child. I've had every kind of test possible to try to figure out why, from MRIs and CT scans to ENTs squirting ice water in my ears. Every known cause has been ruled out.

I also had some unilateral low-frequency hearing loss about 10 or 15 years ago, which suggested either an acoustic neuroma (ruled out by yet another MRI) or Meniere's syndrome (except that there was no vertigo). Ultimately, no cause for that was ever determined. It went down as "Idiopathic low-frequency hearing loss." "Idiopathic" is medical jargon for "I dunno why."

Personally, I think the hearing loss was a result of Jeannette's constant screaming from the passenger seat when we were in the car, but the ENT said that human screaming from that distance doesn't reach amplitude levels high enough to damage hearing. Apparently he never met Jeanette. But that's neither here nor there.

In my case, both the tinnitus and the hearing loss were substantially helped by herbs prescribed by a Chinese pharmacist who had been a traditional physician in China. But I only tried the herbs after going through the bazillion different tests prescribed by my Western doctors because once in a great while, tinnitus can be a symptom of something serious; so your friend needs to see (or hear, as it were) a good ENT.

Most of the time, tinnitus is just tinnitus; and most of the time, the ENT will end up not being able to provide a precise reason for it. The standard initial advice usually includes avoiding salt, caffeine, and nicotine, and taking a vitamin supplement named "Lipo Flavonoid." If that doesn't work, the ENT may try prescribing powerful diuretics that will have your friend deciding between a catheter and a diaper, prednisone or other steroids, or decongestants. An MRI or CT scan probably will be ordered, as well as hearing tests by an audiologist.

In the end, the ENT will probably shrug and say "I dunno why your friend's ears are ringing," except that he or she will use fancier language like "idiopathic tinnitus." He or she will tell your friend to avoid caffeine, nicotine, and salt, and to have a nice life.

But again, once in a great while, tinnitus is a symptom of an actual, serious medical condition; so your friend still needs to see the doctor to rule them out, even though ultimately the diagnosis will most likely be "idiopathic tinnitus." Your friend has to rule out the nasty stuff.

Rich

Last edited:
There is no "cure" and ear doctors can't help, because it is not an ear problem.

But, there are charlatans around every corner to take your cash.

If it is seems different than what other people describe when they talk about tinnitus I would probably get it checked out.

See an audiologist. He'll probably need a referral from an ENT doc first. They'll do a hearing test and figure out what he has/what he needs. I've had Tinnitus for years and have a difficult time hearing conversations in some environments but the hearing tests are fairly normal with nothing more than predictable high frequency loss for my age. For me the tinnitus doesn't interfere with hearing when medically tested but it sounds like microphone feedback in my head 24/7. I have zero issues with headset communications.

Medications can definitely cause and/or escalate tinnitus. He should discuss the ringing with his physician.

Last edited:
Have your friend see an audiologist. Tinnitus is almost always benign, but can be related to serious medical conditions. Tinnitus does not cause hearing loss, but often accompanies hearing loss. If the tests warrant, your friend will be referred to an ENT.

See an audiologist. He'll probably need a referral from an ENT doc first. They'll do a hearing test and figure out what he has/what he needs. I've had Tinnitus for years and have a difficult time hearing conversations in some environments but the hearing tests are fairly normal with nothing more than predictable high frequency loss for my age. For me the tinnitus doesn't interfere with hearing when medically tested but it sounds like microphone feedback in my head 24/7. I have zero issues with headset communications.

Medications can definitely cause and/or escalate tinnitus. He should discuss the ringing with his physician.

Yep, it's really not a function of hearing at all, that's just how the mind represents it. My "hearing box" scores are always superb.

David, if this is truly interfering with your hearing, it may not be Tinnitus, may want to check for infections if it's getting worse. I heard that Sasquatch all have syphilis, so you may want to check for that....

Tinnitus sufferer here, too. Probably induced by 8 years as a disk jockey wearing blaring headphones for 4-6 hours a day. And way too many concerts.
'Just visited with a top-notch ENT/OTO/Audio doc, who also has tinnitus. He, too, checks for known conditions etc, but otherwise says there's nothing to do but learn to ignore it. It's like those reflections you see in the windshield of the car dashboard... you just learn to look through them and focus on the road ahead.
From what I can tell, the ear/hearing/balance is still a vast unknown.

I've been debating making this post for more than a month, mainly because I'm not a doctor. But I do have long experience with this condition and don't mind sharing some of what worked for me.

The problem is that some of the things that worked for me also have serious potential or known risks; so don't try any of them without researching them and talking to a doctor (which again, I am not).

My own story is that I've had tinnitus since childhood. It doesn't bother me. I'm used to it. But I also have Eustachian tube dysfunction (hereinafter "ETD"). That does bother me, at least during allergy season. The rest of the year the only symptom is low-frequency hearing loss in one ear (which, by the way, can be a symptom of an acoustic neuroma, so see a doctor pronto if that's one of your symptoms).

I never bothered seeking treatment for the tinnitus. But I did seek treatment for the ETD, and some of the unconventional treatments for the ETD dramatically reduced the tinnitus. One actually eliminates it, but it comes at the cost of pretty serious side effects. More about that later.

Before I started the unconventional treatments, I sought treatment from an ENT. After he put me through the usual exhaustive battery of tests and trial-and-error treatments, none of which worked very well (if at all), he threw up his hands and gave up. He gave me one of those diagnoses that begin with "ideopathic," which is doctor-speak for "I dunno."

If I had vertigo along with the other symptoms of ETD, then I would have Meniere's disease. Meniere's isn't really a "disease," per se. It's basically just ETD that's serious enough to give you vertigo. That happens when the pressure in the inner ear gets so great that the floodgates open. The sudden change throws the whole balance mechanism off. Or at least that's what a gaggle of ENTs have told me. [ EDIT -- Apparently I misunderstood them. ]

But I didn't have vertigo. I just have the boring sort of ETD. The symptoms are low-frequency hearing loss, a feeling of fullness, and the inability to clear it using swallowing and so forth. During the allergy season these symptoms magnify a hundredfold to the point of being unbearable.

Once the ENT gave up, my pharmacist (who had practiced Traditional Chinese Medicine before emigrating to the U.S. and becoming a pharmacist) stepped in. He prescribed a bunch of herbs, some of which I'm omitting here because they didn't seem to do anything. The ones that did help were:

Cat's Claw. A general "cure-all" that is known to have at least some anti-inflammatory and auto-immune benefits. It's also being looked at for possible anti-tumor properties. It is a known teratogen and probably interferes with cell division, so it should not be taken by pregnant or nursing mothers (nor by children, I would think).

Ginger. Known for its calming effect on the vestibular system and its anti-nausea properties. Generally considered harmless.

Dandelion Root. A mild diuretic. Not to be taken with other diuretics.

Licorice Root. A mild anti-diuretic, but useful for its decongestant qualities. Not to be taken by pregnant or nursing mothers or by people with high blood pressure.

Stinging Nettle Leaf. A decongestant. Must be taken on an empty stomach.

The above took the edge off both the ETD and the tinnitus during the allergy season when I lived in the city. I used it for about 10 years of so.

Since moving to the country, I've needed something a bit stronger because the seasonal allergens are more intense. The following "prescription" was suggested by a pharmacist who swore me to secrecy about his/her identity. He/she made the suggestions after, once again, more conventional treatments failed. (I did talk his/her suggestions over with my doctor before trying them, however.)

Vinpocetine. This is a semi-synthetic derivative of vincamine, an alkaloid originally identified in Vinca minor, the lesser periwinkle plant. It's not exactly "natural" because it does need some processing to be extracted. It's also usually not made from periwinkle anymore, but from other plants that have it in more abundance.

Vinpo is a very powerful drug. Its primary effect seems to be as a vasodilator, especially of the tiny blood vessels in the inner ear. This is the drug that can eliminate my tinnitus. If I were to take 45 mg a day, the tinnitus would disappear.

The problem is that at 45 mg a day I experienced really severe sleep disturbances including frequent waking (like a dozen times a night) and really odd dreams that were basically continuations of problems I'd been working out during the day. It was like being awake and asleep at the same time. It blurred the lines between wakefulness and sleep.

Another serious potential side effect of Vinpo is a drop in platelet count. I didn't experience that, but it is something the doc was watching for.

At a reduced dosage of 15 mg/day (with breakfast), Vinpo alone reduces my ETD by about 50 percent and my tinnitus by about 75 percent, with no side effects whatsoever.

Zyrtec. An OTC antihistamine.

Nasacort. A nasal corticosteroid. (Flonase is another similar drug. The doc said either one should work. Nasacort is cheaper.) I take it in an off-label way that was advised by the pharmacist and confirmed by the ENT. Basically I tilt my head forward, spray the stuff back toward the Eustachian tube opening, raise my head, and then do a series of very gentle Valsava ("nose-pinch- and-blow") maneuvers to sort of "milk" it into the tube.

The combination of the three drugs above eliminates my ETD and almost completely eliminates the tinnitus. I can pass a hearing test with flying colors in the affected ear as long I keep taking them, and the tinnitus becomes mild and intermittent. But I probably will talk to the doc about suspending some or all of them once the allergy season is over. I'm not big on medicating problems that are minor, and my ETD drops off dramatically after the first hard frost.

Again, I am not a doctor, and I did none of the above without talking to whatever doctor was treating me at the time in question. They're not advice or suggestions. They're just things that worked for me. YMMV.

Rich

Last edited:
If I had vertigo along with the other symptoms of ETD, then I would have Meniere's disease. Meniere's isn't really a "disease," per se. It's basically just ETD that's serious enough to give you vertigo. That happens when the pressure in the inner ear gets so great that the floodgates open. The sudden change throws the whole balance mechanism off. Or at least that's what a gaggle of ENTs have told me.
I suspect you misunderstood what those ENTs were telling you. I'm pretty certain that Meniere's is an inner-ear condition, not a middle-ear one like ETD. The hearing loss of Meniere's is certainly due to destruction of the tissues of the inner ear, and the excess pressure that gives rise to vertigo is related to buildup of endolymph, which is a fluid in the semicircular canals and/or the cochlea (I'm forgetting now whether the cochlea contains perilymph or endolymph).

Yes, RJM's description of Meniere's is completely off-base. It's got nothing to do with ETD. Other than the fact that have some common symptoms of hearing loss, sense of fullness, and vertigo, they are not related. The symptoms are usually more severe in Meniere's which the doctor might have been telling you they'd investigate you if they were more severe than what they are ascribing to ETD.

These things are all hard to diagnose as their's no positive test for meniere's. They primarily use the symptoms coupled with a lot of things like MRIs etc... You typically find out the diagnosis was right when you do the rather radical treatment for it of destroying the inner ear sensory apparatus (my mother has gone through this).

Anyhow, absent any vertigo or sufficient hearing loss not to hear normal conversational tones, tinnitus has no real signfiicance on your medical.

Thanks for posting this. I lost about 90% hearing in the right and 50% in the left in 2009. They attributed it to massive doses of antibiotics when they were attempting to save my life. I too have had tinnitus all my life. Today my right ear sounds full of whiny hydraulics and its pretty loud. The left is much less annoying but loud restaurants full of tvs and other junk really get to me. I used to go bar hopping but all the overpowering music and karaoke nonsense these days really makes it unbearable, when a deaf guy needs ear plugs to be comfortable :mad2:.

So, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who has had tinnitus for awhile now, however recently (in the last year) it has gotten progressively worse, to the point where whispers are inaudible and anything quieter than a normal conversation just turns into background noise. What should/can he do and what would be the aeromedical repercussions of this?

edit: My friend is also on no medication and hasn't had any sudden injuries or whatever that could have possibly caused something like this

He needs to visit an audiologist and get fitted for a hearing aid. Tinnitus comes from hearing loss. Modern ones come with tinnitus cancellation tech now.

He needs to visit an audiologist and get fitted for a hearing aid. Tinnitus comes from hearing loss. Modern ones come with tinnitus cancellation tech now.

That may be one cause, but certainly not the only. I have excellent hearing according to my 'box scores' from when I have to get audio logical tests, yet also have tinnitus.

I suspect you misunderstood what those ENTs were telling you. I'm pretty certain that Meniere's is an inner-ear condition, not a middle-ear one like ETD. The hearing loss of Meniere's is certainly due to destruction of the tissues of the inner ear, and the excess pressure that gives rise to vertigo is related to buildup of endolymph, which is a fluid in the semicircular canals and/or the cochlea (I'm forgetting now whether the cochlea contains perilymph or endolymph).

Quite possibly. I never really researched Meniere's very much. I just know that every ENT I went to kept talking about how I didn't have it because there was no vertigo, but would have had it if I did.

Rich

That may be one cause, but certainly not the only. I have excellent hearing according to my 'box scores' from when I have to get audio logical tests, yet also have tinnitus.

For completness, here is a full list of causes, if you have it for years and it gets worse, it's likey due to hearing loss:

• Hearing loss
  • Ménière's disease
  • Loud noise exposure
  • Migraine headaches
  • Head injury
  • Drugs or medicines that are toxic to hearing
  • Anemia
  • Hypertension
  • Stress
  • Too much wax in the ear
  • Certain types of tumors
  • Too much coffee
  • Smoking cigarettes
New hearing aids have Tinnitus maskers that can relieve or reduce the problem.

http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Tinnitus/

It seemed to me the the volume of the ringing changed often, so I tried to see how much it varied. I tuned my FM receiver off station to get something close to white noise. Then with a good set of headphones, slowly increased the volume until it masked the tinitus. I recorded the settings for several weeks. There was a slight variation day-to-day, but times I thought it was louder than normal proved to be my imagination. Basically the less background noise, the louder the tinitus seems.

YMMV

I wear a $3k hearing aid now and its programmed based on hearing exams, in no way can I understand how someone can claim a hearing aid can relieve tinnitus which is physiological blood vessel issues, or auditory never issues. Seems impossible to me.

Under no cicumstances do I recommend a person get hearing aids unless they honestly need them. They are very expensive, a pain in the ass, need cleaning, risks of ear infections increase, did I mention they are a pain in the ass? Even the top of the line stuff is a pain in the ass. Even if two aids would be possible on me I'd still only get one. They are too damned expensive.

They kind of guy I don't recommend, the ones that forget to put them on and can go all day at work without it affecting communications. Its just "nice to have" for these folks. Go blow $6k if you want I guess.

The folks that I recommend, are the ones that have an alarm clock wired to a lamp or bed vibrator to wake them up because they can't hear a regular one.

Last edited:
I wear a $3k hearing aid now and its programmed based on hearing exams, in no way can I understand how someone can claim a hearing aid can relieve tinnitus which is physiological blood vessel issues, or auditory never issues. Seems impossible to me.

Under no cicumstances do I recommend a person get hearing aids unless they honestly need them. They are very expensive, a pain in the ass, need cleaning, risks of ear infections increase, did I mention they are a pain in the ass? Even the top of the line stuff is a pain in the ass.

I always thought they went in your ears. :confused:

Rich

Get a shiny new aid then stand by a powerflush toilet and you'll find out they are a pain in the ear too.

Phonak makes a hearing aid that helps considerably with tinnitus How I don't know but I wear a hearing aid and the model I have does not help but I did wear the one that does for a week and it does, If/when I upgrade I will be looking hard at that one it is an Audéo Q

Phonak makes a hearing aid that helps considerably with tinnitus How I don't know but I wear a hearing aid and the model I have does not help but I did wear the one that does for a week and it does, If/when I upgrade I will be looking hard at that one it is an Audéo Q

Thanks for the info! I have Phonaks and didn't know they offer a tinnitus model.ImI'm sure the VA won't use them though. :rolleyes2:

Maybe is an extremely small amount of cases.

An audiologist "seems" like the person to see, but tinnitus is not a hearing problem. It is a brain problem. An audiologist can do nothing!

There is no known cure for tinnitus.

Maybe is an extremely small amount of cases.

An audiologist "seems" like the person to see, but tinnitus is not a hearing problem. It is a brain problem. An audiologist can do nothing!

There is no known cure for tinnitus.

Tinnitus has a number of 'possible' causes. The number one cause is hearing loss. The first thing to do is eliminate hearing loss as a suspect by visiting an audiologist and taking a standard hearing test.

Some of the newer hearing aids have sound masking technology (matches the tone and frequency the brain is making) which has shown clinical promise in reducing or eliminating the problem.

But if you don't have a hearing loss then there is less incentive and reason to go the hearing aid route. But if you do have a hearing loss, then a hearing aid makes double sense.

Don't shoot guns EVER without good hearing protection. If you're sensitive to it, even 10 rounds shot w/o earplugs over a hunting season can give you tinnitus. It would bother me for 2-3 months after duck season.

Invest in the super cool custom earplugs that have a 'filter' that allow you to hear normal conversation, but block out a loud gun report.

Last edited:
Don't shoot guns EVER without good hearing protection. If you're sensitive to it, even 10 rounds shot w/o earplugs over a hunting season can give you tinnitus. It would bother me for 2-3 months after duck season.

Invest in the super cool custom earplugs that have a 'filter' that allow you to hear normal conversation, but block out a loud gun report.

I would add don't fly airplanes without a decent headset. My Luscombe's cockpit noise level hits 100 decibels! ANR is your friend.

Tinnitus has a number of 'possible' causes. The number one cause is hearing loss. The first thing to do is eliminate hearing loss as a suspect by visiting an audiologist and taking a standard hearing test.

And.....they will love you for it, their biggest scam.:yes:

Has nothing to do with hearing and there is no cure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back