Time to Sell

This guy gets it! Just don't tell too many people. The prices of those nice light twins might start going up if people catch on! I love your channel BTW.

Yeah, all anecdotal. And a lot of the twin engines shut downs are precautionary. I know mine was, I had an oil pressure go to zero on one engine. I shut it down, landed on a single engine. Cause was a wire shorted out.

There is insufficient reliable data to be able to make the case for or against twins from a safety perspective.
I will not argue against the emotional side, there is a reason when I needed a lot more capability I flew an Aerostar.

In the mean time, the market has largely spoken that economics and comparable mission capability matters.

Tim

Now that my mini rant is over...I'd love to have a C180....also :)
As someone with a C180.... I'd love to have a Twin (and my C180). They always say to buy a plane that completed 95% of your mission, well for me a twin wasn't it.

My view on it is a lot simpler... for what I forsaw my mission as being, there just weren't planes I could rent that could do it. I wanted a Skywagon (or Maule) to be doing the things I want to do... and they just don't exist at flight schools/clubs... So I bought one. Sure occasionally I do believe I'll need/want to fly a twin whether it's when I have more of a schedule to be on (IMC), want to get somewhere faster, or fly over the great lakes. - I understand my single is definitely limited in these regards.

A twin on the other hand, I'm not particularly picky about. I don't care if it's a Seminole, 310, Seneca, or a Baron - so I'm happy to send a few hundred bucks an hour someone else's way for the use of their plane for a few hours or a weekend if I don't have to deal with the thought of two engine overhauls, insurance, hangar, advanced avionics etc. Twins are surprisingly abundant to rent and no one really minds if you take them on a trip.

To me it's the best of both worlds. I have something relatively cheap to fly that's fast for a fixed gear single and very STOL capable, and can rent a twin for the rest of the time.

Edit: As someone that's bringing a (flying) derelict plane back to life, I couldn't imagine buying a twin that was anything less than perfect... which quickly stops being a cheap sale price.

Nah, go back to the 70s. For redundant alternatives and vacuum pumps you needed two engines. For FIKI you needed two engines....

All that has changed. With TKS as a FIKI option and glass cockpits dual alternator on a single engine with not vacuum pump gives you the same effective capability in many ways.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
What happens to your ice protection if the engine stops and you need to descend through icy clouds in an emergency?

What happens to your ice protection if the engine stops and you need to descend through icy clouds in an emergency?

Me, I pull the chute :D
Otherwise, TKS runs on electric, you run your battery down and hope for the best.

Tim

If you have boots, you're SOL.

If you have boots, you're SOL.

With a single and boots you have no redundancy.
Only possible with electric; since there are really only two accessory pads on the engine. You need to have both for alternators; if you have one alternator and one vacuum pump you get no redundancy.

Tim

With a single and boots you have no redundancy.
Only possible with electric; since there are really only two accessory pads on the engine. You need to have both for alternators; if you have one alternator and one vacuum pump you get no redundancy.

Tim

In the Mooney to be FIKI, it’s dual pumps dual alternator and dual batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back