Time to get the ticket wet

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
So I need to be at VJI by early Wednesday morning for a business meeting. I think I'll fly down Tuesday evening, maybe 2200Z departure from BJJ, and come home Wednesday afternoon. Prog charts are showing rain and snow (and headwinds) from a low pressure system. We'll see what the TAFs say, but I am predicting IMC conditions.

No big worries, even with a NA 182 that is /A equipped. VJI has a LOC approach and my alternate, TRI, has ILS. Coming back home BJJ has VOR approaches and my alternate, CAK, has ILS. Even with headwinds I should be fine with full fuel.

To address icing worries, ever present in Midwest winters, Tuesday's rain with above freezing surface temps should mean that we'll be above freezing even in the clouds at MEA. Wednesday might be a bit more uncertain as I get close to home, since the rain will change to snow at some point.

Thoughts/suggestions/critiques?

Just keep an eye on your temps aloft. Check for airmets/pireps/etc. The standard stuff. Give yourself an out and have fun.

Flying home into worsening weather is a big red flag. Gethomeitis can be seductive. Wet snow building on your leading edges can be a serious issue. Be safe.

Skew-T/LogP charts along your route would be your best friends.

Skew-T/LogP charts along your route would be your best friends.
Agree.

Right now there's an icing airmet for Ohio with a floor varying from SFC to 10,000' at the time of my departure. If that remains I'll be driving instead.

Drove. The icing airmet stayed put and was backed up by pireps of light, clear icing at my cruise altitude. Homie don't knowingly fly into dat.

Good call.

Drove. The icing airmet stayed put and was backed up by pireps of light, clear icing at my cruise altitude. Homie don't knowingly fly into dat.

Sounds like a call I would have made, too. Pireps of ice are even more telling that forecasts. I don't go there.

Back