Time lapse: 3D traffic visualization in ForeFlight

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
ForeFlight just came out with a new version of their EFB app, with a 3D traffic view (in their higher subscription plans). I think of it as one of those things that are more cool and fascinating, rather than useless for pilots. Having said that, when you speed up the display by a factor of, say, 20 to 50, it makes patterns visible which are hidden at normal speed. So I created this little compilation, showing traffic at different airports and different times of day, all recorded between Tuesday and Thursday of this week.

From my (non-scientific) observation, it feels like peak traffic is almost restored at some places like ORD, whereas I had to look very hard for high traffic volumes in New York, for example. So it seems the recovery of air travel doesn't happen uniformly across the country.

Enjoy!

ForeFlight just came out with a new version of their EFB app, with a 3D traffic view (in their higher subscription plans). I think of it as one of those things that are more cool and fascinating, rather than useless for pilots. Having said that, when you speed up the display by a factor of, say, 20 to 50, it makes patterns visible which are hidden at normal speed. So I created this little compilation, showing traffic at different airports and different times of day, all recorded between Tuesday and Thursday of this week.

From my (non-scientific) observation, it feels like peak traffic is almost restored at some places like ORD, whereas I had to look very hard for high traffic volumes in New York, for example. So it seems the recovery of air travel doesn't happen uniformly across the country.

Enjoy!

I absolutely love the new cloud and ice feature where you can see clouds and icing in the profile and 3D views of your flight plan. Good stuff.

Have used foreflight since it’s inception, like the constant upgrades even if I don’t use them all.

Back