Time for a Facelift?

bjohnsonmn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bjohnsonmn
Hello!
I realize that this may be considered heresy, but I believe the forums and the logo need an update. While I am not a graphic designer, and my is busy creating other logos for other organizations I am a part of (You should see the restaurant list she's created for me to take her to), I am sure there are talented folks on the forums who could come up with a good design.

Also, is there a more modern look and feel for the forum software?

Lastly, perhaps it is time to update the top level posts. While I wouldn't think it is wise to turn the front into something like that which can be found on www.avsim.com, perhaps more timely information than maintenance done in 2006 would be in order. If forums like this can be updated to look fresh, and modern, perhaps we can draw more interest from the younger group of not-yet aviators!

My $0.02

Thanks,
Brad

We've started a discussion in the Management Council about this topic.

Concept 1:

Logos_Concept1-PoAForums.jpg

Concept 2:

Logos_Concept2-PoAForums.jpg

Last edited:
I object to anything that makes more work for the Management Council or anyone else. I think they already do more than enough for what we pay them.

Lets just double there pay then :)

I think the management council does an excellent job. Maybe the members could come up with new logos and have the members comment on them.

change for the sake of change doesn't seem to make sense.

I like both of those! The runway on the second one is nice too--subtle, almost missed it.

Can you show us a combination of the two?

The US flag code would strongly discourage the first one...

I really like the second one though

I like the second one. The runway/airplane is clever. Along with the R/W/B colors, it goes well with the forum's name.

but to be honest, I still like the original logo. :dunno:

Love the second logo! I missed the runway at first too. Having the beech King Air in the current logo makes little sense to me since few of us actually fly big GA planes.

I really like the second one though

I like both of those! The runway on the second one is nice too--subtle, almost missed it.

I like the second one. The runway/airplane is clever. Along with the R/W/B colors, it goes well with the forum's name.

but to be honest, I still like the original logo. :dunno:

Love the second logo! I missed the runway at first too. Having the beech King Air in the current logo makes little sense to me since few of us actually fly big GA planes.

Thanks everyone! My old life, was making corporate identities and I just couldn't help myself.

We'll see what the admins want to do, and just go from there. Let me know if you all need anything else. :)

Hey! We can't change the logo now that Dave has a King Air! (took him long enough) :D

I like the second logo...I picked up on the PAPI the third time I looked...

I like #2 as well.... It would work well as both silkscreen and embroidered items.

Hello!
I realize that this may be considered heresy, but I believe the forums and the logo need an update. While I am not a graphic designer, and my is busy creating other logos for other organizations I am a part of (You should see the restaurant list she's created for me to take her to), I am sure there are talented folks on the forums who could come up with a good design.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I like the second one, but I think I would prefer it without the blue stars, just a flat color, in the first word.

The current logo looks like it was cobbled together in 5 seconds in MS Paint in 1995.

I'm a fan of the first one, and there are ways to build on the spirit of the flag, without crossing the acceptable use line with the representation of the flag.

I am glad I asked the question (and wasn't hung by my own petard)! Like I said, the more inviting we can make things, the more people we can attract. This site was a great resource for me as I worked toward my PPL, and continues to be a great resource as I work toward my IFR ticket. I'd love to send more of the aspiring pilots over here, and an inviting site will, perhaps, encourage them to move past the front page...

Shane Schmidt, as a professional graphic designer myself, I must say: Great job on #2. The subtle add-ins are awesome. I'd like to see that with other fonts around those meaningful subtleties.

As far as the forum, "My Opinion". I would not rush to change this forum. This forum works fine. A forum is just a forum in my eyes, and I think change to forums with older users such as us would not be accepted well.

JasonM: True, but I'd like to have have a hat or shirt to wear at aviation events to promote our front porch. A logo like what Shane has created would create interest among the uninitiated who saw it.

I like the second one, but I think I would prefer it without the blue stars, just a flat color, in the first word.

I like the second one

#2 is great. Very creative. I'm impressed - positively of course.

Shane Schmidt, as a professional graphic designer myself, I must say: Great job on #2. The subtle add-ins are awesome. I'd like to see that with other fonts around those meaningful subtleties.

Thank you everyone for the kudos and the suggestions. So, this is Concept 3, Evolution A, and I used solid colors this time.
Jason, I love other good designers to help tighten up the design to perfection! So here is with a little softer font, but I tightened up the points to flow better.

Logos_Concept3-EvoA-PoAForums.jpg

Fun! It's like the "Where's Waldo/Henning?" of logo design!

The current logo looks like it was cobbled together in 5 seconds in MS Paint in 1995.

Good chance it was, only in 2005;) There was a logo design contest back around then that ended up on hats and shirts.

Thank you everyone for the kudos and the suggestions. So, this is Concept 3, Evolution A, and I used solid colors this time.
Jason, I love other good designers to help tighten up the design to perfection! So here is with a little softer font, but I tightened up the points to flow better.

Logos_Concept3-EvoA-PoAForums.jpg

Think I still like #2 better. The runway in this one's top stripe makes it look like a bullet rather than a centerline, and the dots in the P and a I'm not sold on. Do like a solid font though.

Think I still like #2 better. The runway in this one's top stripe makes it look like a bullet rather than a centerline, and the dots in the P and a I'm not sold on. Do like a solid font though.

I agree!

Ok, last one for now. I've got to do some "real" work, or I'll be doing a logo for my cardboard box home. :)

Concept 3 - Evolution B
Logos_Concept3-EvoB-PoAForums.jpg

Would you put them all up in a row...I think I like the second one the best...I do like the solid fonts...but would like to see them all in a row...

Ok, so from what I've read and changed. Here are the 3 finalists:

Finalist 1:
Logos_Concept2-PoAForums.jpg

Finalist 2:
Logos_Concept3-EvoB-PoAForums.jpg

Finalist 3:
Logos_Concept3-EvoC-PoAForums.jpg

I vote for # 3 of the last post of the three posted... or something like that :)

Back