Time change....

Arizonie is a smart state for not following it. Only plus side is it makes it easier to get more night flying in!

:skeptical:

It isn't like we have more night than the rest of the country. We just enjoy giving Ben Franklin the finger. ;)

Personally though, I would much prefer more daylight after work

Me too! And I bet kids that play outside after school ( there are some believe it or not) would prefer more daylight after school.

Colorado tried DLS year round. People don't want their kids walking to school in the dark was the reason they stopped.

I always laugh at the "kids going to school in the dark" rationale for going back to Standard Time.

My daughter has been at the bus stop in the dark for over a month now. This morning, it was barely past sunrise, and in a few weeks, it'll be dark again.

Even she agrees that she'd rather have more daylight after school to play outside.

I'd prefer to go "double daylight saving time" in the fall. As in, not "fall back", but "fall forward" to preserve that afternoon daylight.

I always laugh at the "kids going to school in the dark" rationale for going back to Standard Time.

My daughter has been at the bus stop in the dark for over a month now. This morning, it was barely past sunrise, and in a few weeks, it'll be dark again.

Even she agrees that she'd rather have more daylight after school to play outside.

I'd prefer to go "double daylight saving time" in the fall. As in, not "fall back", but "fall forward" to preserve that afternoon daylight.

I've heard a lot of people proposing the "DST all year" idea....And it's always coming from the northern hinterlands, where the desire for evening sunlight to go shopping or whatever doesn't cost them $$$.

What y'all are trying to solve is a latitude problem by using a longitude solution. That's great for y'all, but it puts the selfish monkey 2 hours ahead of your westerly time zone neighbor. Even our capitalist business interest overlords aren't gonna go for that.

AZ, HI, and all the tropical latitude territories got it right. Down with DST. Keeping a system just because of historical and bureaucratic inertia is lazy and intellectually primitive.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of people proposing the "DST all year" idea....And it's always coming from the northern hinterlands, where the desire for evening sunlight to go shopping or whatever doesn't cost them $$$.

Wow, first time I've ever heard of Oklahoma referred to as the "northern hinterlands"! :) Many other derogatory names, sure, but considered a "northern" state? That's new!

Want more daylight? Move to the equator.

You know, I lived on the equator for about half a year once. Sunrise was at roughly 6 AM, sunset at roughly 6 PM the whole time I was there. So, effectively, actually less daylight than I'm used to for much of the year as an indoor worker with a day job. "Actual daylight" meaning that daylight available after work to do stuff outside.

IMG_0232_zpsjhe3wfjn.jpg

I am such an anarchist. I like both the time switches. It suits me, I have no complaint about it!

You mean, want less daylight move to the equator. For more sunlight, move to Barrow, AK, or anywhere north of the Arctic Circle for the summer. I have watched the sun get lower in the north until it changes direction and starts going up. Gotta wear my shades at 1am....

On the Equator, at about 6pm someone turned off the switch and it was DARK.

Colorado tried DLS year round. People don't want their kids walking to school in the dark was the reason they stopped.

Nixon tried that in 1973, and the same protests about the horrors of children having to walk to school in the dark ensued. I remember schoolteachers being more vocal about it than parents, however.

I personally thought the opposition was stupid. If they didn't want kids walking to school in the dark, then all they had to do was shift the school schedule one hour later. Start the school day at 9:00 instead of 8:00. Problem solved. But that would have meant teachers working past 2:55 p.m., so obviously it wouldn't fly -- despite the fact that they'd actually be working exactly the same hours as they would be if there were no DST.

Rich

I am such an anarchist. I like both the time switches. It suits me, I have no complaint about it!

Anarchy would be everyone setting their clocks to whatever they wanted and running them at whatever speed they like, too. ;)

Nope, doesn't work like that. The closer you are to the equator, the closer the length of daylight is to 12 hours, year round. If you want more daylight, you gotta move closer to the polar regions. (Of course, that only works on the summer side of the equinoxes; on the winter side, you get LESS daylight the closer you are to the poles.)

Nixon tried that in 1973, and the same protests about the horrors of children having to walk to school in the dark ensued. I remember schoolteachers being more vocal about it than parents, however.

I personally thought the opposition was stupid. If they didn't want kids walking to school in the dark, then all they had to do was shift the school schedule one hour later. Start the school day at 9:00 instead of 8:00. Problem solved. But that would have meant teachers working past 2:55 p.m., so obviously it wouldn't fly -- despite the fact that they'd actually be working exactly the same hours as they would be if there were no DST.

Rich

Exactly. Move the $%%ing school schedule one hour, not the whole damned society!

Before telegraph, the town clock would be set according to the sunrise in the almanac for that location. The fact that towns were on different times din't matter much back then.

You mean, want less daylight move to the equator. For more sunlight, move to Barrow, AK, or anywhere north of the Arctic Circle for the summer. I have watched the sun get lower in the north until it changes direction and starts going up. Gotta wear my shades at 1am....

On the Equator, at about 6pm someone turned off the switch and it was DARK.
Nope, doesn't work like that. The closer you are to the equator, the closer the length of daylight is to 12 hours, year round. If you want more daylight, you gotta move closer to the polar regions. (Of course, that only works on the summer side of the equinoxes; on the winter side, you get LESS daylight the closer you are to the poles.)

Many years ago, I was sitting in my room on the North Slope, totally bored. To liven things up, I decided to see for myself if there's more daylight in Anchorage, AK than Miami, FL. I put the published sunrise and sunset times into a spreadsheet, as well as the twilight times. Unfortunately, POA won't allow me to upload the Excel file. But, bottom line, Anchorage has more daylight during the year overall than Miami (almost 100 hours difference). And that's regardless of how much daylight is "saved" during the summer months.

If we don't have Daylight Savings Time in the Mid-Atlantic states, we could see the sunrise around 4 AM in the morning during the summer solstice! And the morning civil twilight could be as early as 3:45 AM or 3:50 AM!

Back