Time Building Jobs

Travel360

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Travel360
Hello. I was wondering about good time building jobs besides instructing when you have low time (say 250-300 hours). I'm currently working on my private and interested in flying for the airlines. I don't really think instructing in a Cessna really prepares you for flying a jet, or an airline environment. I've heard of some Part 135 airlines hiring with low time. Also, do airlines want to see CFI experience on your resume? Thanks.

I don't really think instructing in a Cessna really prepares you for flying a jet, or an airline environment.
That's true of most time building jobs.

I've heard of some Part 135 airlines hiring with low time.
Airlines are part 121. Part 135 is a different beast. But yes, right at this moment jobs can be found in both 135 and 121 with relatively low time. That has not always been the case and will not always be the case moving forward.

Also, do airlines want to see CFI experience on your resume?
I think it depends on the airline.

I don't really think instructing in a Cessna really prepares you for flying a jet, or an airline environment.
Some of the things I have to teach jet pilots are the exact same things that you teach in a 152...pitch/power/performance combinations, aiming point on final, power and drag management...we fly approaches using the same techniques you use for a piston airplane in the traffic pattern, except we set 65% (in the airplane I teach) instead of 1700 RPM.

Also, do airlines want to see CFI experience on your resume? Thanks.
One regional I know of used to prefer instructors with instrument instruction experience...they figured if they started with somebody who knew his way around instrument flying, they could teach him the airplane more easily.

Typically, though, my impression is that chief pilots prefer to hire pilots who came up the same way they did, which usually means instructing.

Remember, the whole art of instructing has a whole lot of CRM built in, just with the seats reversed.

Is there a glider club nearby? A PP is all that's required to tow, but different clubs, different operations, and different insurance requirements may want a commercial - you might have to become a member. It's a way to get some hours on weekends, and occasionally during the week. It's hot work, though, and you won't stray very far from the airport unless you get a call to tow someone home after a landout.

Not sure where you're located, but I know that in my area, there are a lot of small airports that offer "Skyline tours"--as in, scenic views of the Chicago skyline off the shore of lake michigan.

As a tour pilot, you might be able to fly a larger plane, carry more passengers, and have the experience of being more of a "captain". See if there are any opportunities like that near you.

Had the pilot in the Buffalo crash been a better instructor they wouldn't have fallen out of the sky. Had the training captain in the Asiana crash been a better instructor they wouldn't have flown a perfectly good aircraft into the seawall.

Flying a 152 for 1200hrs may not prepare you well for flying an airliner. Learning to anticipate that the guy next to you is trying to kill you is an essential skill to have.

Back