Time Building in Central NJ

austin757

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
aj757
I'm a CFI,MEI and soon to be CFII working in central NJ as an instructor. The school is a little slow right now, and I'm not flying as much as I'd like to. I looking to either build time with someone to cut costs and/or find another flying job to keep the hours coming in. I have about 500TT and 50ME. Anyone looking to time build or knows of any job openings?

Call around, shouldn't be tuff to keep busy as a CFI.

Of course you might have to move, but, as you know, thus is the industry for a green horn.

Look at aerial survey companies. You'll get hours quick and they'll be quality hours as well.

that doesn't necessarily stop when you get to the 121 level either

Your choices for employment do grow as your logbook and connections grow.

Your choices for employment do grow as your logbook and connections grow.

wasnt trying to be argumentative if that is how it sounded, just meant that most people look at making to the 121 world as "making it" when base closures, moving for an upgrade, etc, etc happen more than someone may like. of course there is more than 121 out there

aerial survey - talk about living out of a suitcase :eek: :)

Cape Air is hiring right seats at 500 TT.
https://www.capeair.com/pilotjobs/index.html
Pay is $9.00 a DUTY hour not flight hour. And $36.00 a day per deim. You can move to PIC on the 402 at 1200 and go to $15.00 a DUTY hour. It's not great pay but you will get hours a lot more than you will as a CFI. Might be worth checking out.

Where in CJ are you working now. I may have a lead for you.

Mike in NJ

Weather has been unseasonably warm for December. Why is your school slow? No holiday gift discovery flights?

I just got my CFI in November, so I'm hoping it'll pick up. No full time students for me as of now

I just got my CFI in November, so I'm hoping it'll pick up. No full time students for me as of now
You'll get the students! I got my CFI in April and even when I didn't have students on my schedule, I would be at the flight school. I said hi to everyone that walked in and just showed my face. Fast forward to now and I have 1200 hours. Started with 280. I know it sucks to wait around but it will be worth it.

Cape Air is hiring right seats at 500 TT.
https://www.capeair.com/pilotjobs/index.html
Pay is $9.00 a DUTY hour not flight hour. And $36.00 a day per deim. You can move to PIC on the 402 at 1200 and go to $15.00 a DUTY hour. It's not great pay but you will get hours a lot more than you will as a CFI. Might be worth checking out.

Not too shabby, personally I think you'd get much more out of flying for a DZ or CFIing, photo flights, etc. putting someone with little PIC time into a SIC position isn't a great move IMHO, it prevents them from building a strong command foundation.

Now for job number 3, aka a direct entry right seat gig, cape air seems like a great gig, all the 9K guys I've met seem quite happy, which is very odd for a non delta/fedex level 121.

Last edited:
Back