Time building for the instrument rating question.

All American Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AllAmericanPilot
What would you do if you were me...

I am off of work tomorrow through Wednesday and looking to fly all day to meet the requirements for the instrument rating. Since I work for a major airline, I am able to non-rev to anywhere in the country. I want to find another instrument student who wants to split the hood time/ safety pilot costs. How do I go about finding these particular group of people. I called a flight school, and they thought it was weird I was seeking to do such things.

If you have a home base where you are planning to train, it might be time to find a CFII. He or she probably has students, or knows someone, that might also be trying to do the same thing. Cold calling a flight school might get them a little cautious.

How do I go about finding these particular group of people. I called a flight school, and they thought it was weird I was seeking to do such things.

You're trying to find someone who'd be willing to fly as safety pilot with a random stranger all day on short notice? Yeah, that's going to be a tough one.

But you shouldn't have to travel. There have to be pilots at your local airport that would be willing to fly with you. Have you asked around yet? Posted flyers on the FBO board? Presumably you have a flight school in mind, and a CFII, they would know of people looking to do the same.

But to back up a bit, what are you looking to accomplish? "Meet the requirements for the instrument rating". Which requirements? The XC hours don't require a safety pilot. As for the 40 hours of hood work of which "only" 15 need to be with a CFII, well, that usually doesn't actually work. Most of my instrument students have needed the full 40 hours WITH an instructor. 15 hours with a CFII isn't generally anywhere near enough. SOME practice with a safety pilot is good, AFTER you fly some with an instructor to build proper habits. Flying 25 hours with a safety pilot THEN going to a CFII would be an amazing waste of time and money.

I need a mentor lol. I work for Delta Air Lines, and they have an option to be accepted into the Propel Program. The requirements say no more than a Commercial license and must have worked here three years. I have a Private and have been with the company for a little over one year. Do I join a Part 141 or 61 school and get to a commercial license, then just time build from there? Get my CFI too and just say f it, and apply to regional on my own? So many avenues and not sure which one to take.

I’d make sure I first meet the requirements of the program, which probably won’t be hard. Then, I’d find out what makes me competitive. Then I’d find the cheapest way possible to get me there.

so it seems like you're primarily just looking for a way to log some hours in someplace exotic...just for the fun of it.
If you've got the time off...and the funds... and burning the holes in the sky someplace different (not home) is important...then since you already hold a PPL
I think what I might do is go someplace cool...let's say hawaii... find a flight school and get checked out. Then when you get some time go back there and rent. Fly laps around the island. Likely to meet other pilots at the school eventually who you might buddy up with ...just start off solo.

But I think what I might do is just fly from my home drome.... day trips and overnights....explore the greater area around you. Besides, it'll get you more familiar with the air space for any check rides in the future....and more familiar with the aircraft you'll be renting too....

I need a mentor lol. I work for Delta Air Lines, and they have an option to be accepted into the Propel Program. The requirements say no more than a Commercial license and must have worked here three years. I have a Private and have been with the company for a little over one year. Do I join a Part 141 or 61 school and get to a commercial license, then just time build from there? Get my CFI too and just say f it, and apply to regional on my own? So many avenues and not sure which one to take.
Where do you live? Maybe someone here knows of someone who might be of help to you.

Back