Tiger maintenance

There are 2 parts to TBO. Flight time and calendar time. For the Tiger it’s 2000 hours or 12 years, which ever comes first. If one is dead set on not exceeding TBO does that mean he will overhaul a mid-time engine at 12 years?

For the record, I bought my Tiger 2 years ago with a 300 hours and 4 years on a Zephyr overhaul. I have the receipts documenting the total cost including the engine and all associated stuff including mags, carb, belts hoses, labor, everything. The all in cost was $27,000.

My tiger is at 1900 hours on the original engine with a top done a few hundred hours ago. I will run it until it lets me know it is time, that might be tomorrow or in another 2000 hours.

There are 2 parts to TBO. Flight time and calendar time. For the Tiger it’s 2000 hours or 12 years, which ever comes first. If one is dead set on not exceeding TBO does that mean he will overhaul a mid-time engine at 12 years?

yes, due to the Lycoming's
concerns about corrosion.

My tiger is at 1900 hours on the original engine with a top done a few hundred hours ago. I will run it until it lets me know it is time, that might be tomorrow or in another 2000 hours.
Have you considered the added cost of the overhaul if you have a metal generating failure that ruins your crank?

I suspect that relatively few Tigers have timed out their spars.
Curious. Are the service time limits listed in an approved Airworthiness Limitation section or by AD?

Have you considered the added cost of the overhaul if you have a metal generating failure that ruins your crank?

Not really due to the fact I was going to replace it with a zero time engine from lycoming.

Not really due to the fact I was going to replace it with a zero time engine from lycoming.
Next question,
Do you understand the difference between a new engine and a rebuilt engine from the manufacturer?
So when you say zero timed engine which engine are you talking about?

And to add do you realize that when certain components of your core are bad, the cost of the remained or new go up?

Yep, know all about how lycoming rebuilds from serviceable parts and are the only one that can produce a zero time engine when not actually brand new.
New zero time very expensive, rebuilt zero time less expensive, rebuilt the least of the three but not zero time.
I did know the core exchange had to be in so called “good” condition but don’t know what penalties if some parts are not within spec.
Can you enlighten me

Last edited:
I know the costs are more for zero time vs rebuilt etc., either way I like the exchange idea. Fly until the engine shows up then swap it out. Much less down time

One thing about exchanges. If you have a first run engine (say 2600 since new), you may want to keep that core and have it rebuilt (either zero time or not). Actually Lycoming crankshafts will go past 6000 typically. So just TOP it. Gets the compression back to new spec. And the crank is deemed OK. Thats also an option.

One of the biggest consideration you have about what to do with your core is,, What was done to it at the last overhaul. When your cylinders were bored to limits, and your crank was ground to limits, Why would you want to keep it?
When it was new, and this is the first overhaul, all parts in should be re-workable to rebuilt standards IAW 43.2
When it was a factory rebuild, god only knows what you have.

One of the biggest consideration you have about what to do with your core is,, What was done to it at the last overhaul. When your cylinders were bored to limits, and your crank was ground to limits, Why would you want to keep it?
When it was new, and this is the first overhaul, all parts in should be re-workable to rebuilt standards IAW 43.2
When it was a factory rebuild, god only knows what you have.
Factory rebuild by Lycoming? I'd be inclined to trust them.

A lot of independent mechanics don't like the manufacturer zero-time, mostly because they can't do it and Lycoming can. The mechanics claim the zero-time rebuild is an exalted privilege granted from the FAA to the engine manufacturers, and that they could rebuild an engine to the same specifications, but they can't claim it is zero-time.

However, the manufacturer has access to production drawings, including tolerances, and can determine if the part falls within the range of that tolerance.

Last edited:
Factory rebuild by Lycoming? I'd be inclined to trust them.

A lot of independent mechanics don't like the manufacturer zero-time, mostly because they can't do it and Lycoming can. The mechanics claim the zero-time rebuild is an exalted privilege granted from the FAA to the engine manufacturers, and that they could rebuild an engine to the same specifications, but they can't claim it is zero-time.

However, the manufacturer has access to production drawings, including tolerances, and can determine if the part falls within the range of that tolerance.
Have you forgotten what the table of limits is ?
I can obtain the blue print of any part in any engine.
The biggest difference between a field overhauler and the manufacturer is the manufacture can make up new limits to fit their usage. Field overhaulers must use the table of Limits given in the overhaul manual.
read 43.2

Have you forgotten what the table of limits is ?
The biggest difference between a field overhauler and the manufacturer is the manufacture can make up new limits to fit their usage. Field overhaulers must use the table of Limits given in the overhaul manual.
read 43.2
Citation for the bolded part, please?
As for 14 CFR 43.2, Lycoming follows it:
Using methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, it has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repaired as necessary, and reassembled; and

(2) It has been tested in accordance with approved standards and technical data, or in accordance with current standards and technical data acceptable to the Administrator, which have been developed and documented by the holder of the type certificate, supplemental type certificate, or a material, part, process, or appliance approval under part 21 of this chapter.
They use practices acceptable to the administrator

Can you verify that Lycoming is producing an unsafe product with a zero-time engine?

Citation for the bolded part, please?
As for 14 CFR 43.2, Lycoming follows it:

They use practices acceptable to the administrator

Can you verify that Lycoming is producing an unsafe product with a zero-time engine?
There ya go again, putting words in my mouth, I did not say the manufacturer was using unsafe processes, but they do have the authority to change limits for their products.

There ya go again, putting words in my mouth, I did not say the manufacturer was using unsafe processes, but they do have the authority to change limits for their products.
I didn't place any words in your mouth. I never said you used those words. How is them changing the limits on their products a bad thing?

Maybe at one time, but not any more. Way too much liability to let Joe Blow have access to their proprietary information.

Back