Thunderstorms

Mike Schneider

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I thought this was an interesting presentation.

Attachments

• ThunderstormRainfall.jpg
    ThunderstormRainfall.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 109
Looks like the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma would dry up and blow away if it weren't for thunderstorms. :D

Mike, I woulda never expected to be higher on that chart in Dallas, than you are at Tallahassee, with the coastal influence, but upon further reflection it makes sense. You do get lot of thunderstorms, but you also get a lot of general rain, more than we do here.

We'll discuss it further in August.

we have had less than ONE inch of rain since October 2005 in some area, bring on the TZs (just not when I'm flying)

scottd said:
Mike,

From an "aviation" perspective there's another story. Even though the the OK, KS and TX region have many thunderstorm days which produce a lot of rain, thunderstorms in this region don't reach convective SIGMET criteria as often as other locations around the country. While we should strive to stay away from all thunderstorms, convective SIGMETs describe areas of thunderstorms that are significant to pilots. The hotspots shown here are the southwestern and southeastern U.S.
The chart confused me. It shows the desert SW as having a lot of sigmets in spring. I thought that the monsoon season was in mid to late summer. Like now.

Scott, thanks for the very interesting and timely (Tallahassee in July) information. -- Mike

jkaduk said:
The chart confused me. It shows the desert SW as having a lot of sigmets in spring. I thought that the monsoon season was in mid to late summer. Like now.
It confused me at first too, but the labels are below the charts. The one you think is "April" is really "July".

BTW, my wife has been in Phoenix for the past several weeks for the birth of our grandchild, and the monsoons are now in full swing. She was awakened by severe thunderbumpers the last two nights and mornings.

-- Pilawt

I'll be testing the WX from here to TLH on (likely) August 12; first iced tea is on me, Mike.

Back