Three Hours and Three Trips to the Grocery Store

drafttek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
So this guy's wife makes him go grocery shopping today on his day off. Apparently, she hasn't learned yet that this is a mistake. Returning home after spending $220, mostly on chips and Oreos, he notices he can't find any of the meat he bought. He calls the store to find out if he left it behind at the register and is told to bring the receipt in and they'll check the cameras to see where the missing bags might have gone. At the store the girl at the counter tells him to go get replacements for the missing items, which he does (I don't think they checked the "tapes"). With relief at not having to tell Wifey he lost the meat, he heads on his merry way home. When he gets back home and walks in the kitchen he sort of wonders "Gee, what are those two bags on the countertop?" Yup, it's the missing meat. Doh! Back to the store he goes. The same girl is at the counter. He admits his stupidity and pays for the meat.

Ok, boring story. The interesting part is the reaction of the girls working in the store. This was a monumental event (paying for something voluntarily, that is). Apparently they'll pass this tale along to their children, and their children's children.

Is this sort of thing really so rare today?

Last edited:
Man, that must ... ummm, could, hypothetically... have been embarrassing for you, Doug!

Well, The fact that my "friend" went back to pay when he scored some free stuff was something they never heard of before. And yes I, I mean he, was quite red faced. :redface:

It's like the joke that ends, "We've established what you are- now we're just dickering over price!"

"He" established that a little embarrassment won't stand in the way of doing the right thing. Tell "him," he done good.

Nice lesson for "his" kids, too... and an enduring message: guys should not shop for groceries.

As Wilford Brimley says, "It's the right thing to do."

Doug, you're a good egg!

Scored a couple of free cups of chowder at dinner a few days ago that way. Checked the bill and they weren't there. Brought it up to the waitress and rather than fix it she said they were on the house. But you all are right, it's the right thing to do.

Next time you go, just buy $220 worth of beef jerky. That's all. Just. Beef. Jerky.

I do all the grocery shopping here. She gives me a list, in store order, and I buy exactly what's on the list, nothing more, nothing less. If she puts something out of order, I don't get it. (Yes dear, the Ritz Crackers were on the list, but when I got to them on the list, they were 2 aisles back, Sorry)

You are one of the few honest people left. I tried this once.

I was driving home one night, all I had were 2 $100 bills so I had a guy at 7/11 break one so I could buy some cigarettes. I got home and found that I now had $295. Oops, apparently he gave me back the other $100.

I went back the next night and explained it and he refused to take it, saying the register checked out. I offered to call his manager and he told me not to or he'd get in trouble. Weirdest thing.

I've done this a few times myself, though I don't recall any specific instances at the moment. I'm glad that there are other parents out there that were like mine and try to instill the notions of honesty and integrity in their children.

Funny guy grocery shopping story:

My dad is a minister and in the church he used to serve, there was a young couple who were members. One time, they told us the story about how she made him go shopping with her, even though she knows how much he hates it. So, as they went down the aisle with the baby food, he snuck a few jars into the cart without her noticing. When they got to the checkout counter and were emptying the cart onto the conveyor belt, she saw all of these baby food jars, and being naturally curious asked, "what are these baby food jars doing here?"

His response, in a very loud voice, "YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE BABY?!!"

She hasn't made him go shopping with her since...

You are one of the few honest people left. I tried this once.

I was driving home one night, all I had were 2 $100 bills so I had a guy at 7/11 break one so I could buy some cigarettes. I got home and found that I now had $295. Oops, apparently he gave me back the other $100.

I went back the next night and explained it and he refused to take it, saying the register checked out. I offered to call his manager and he told me not to or he'd get in trouble. Weirdest thing.

When I was in the Air Force I had some TDY orders and was authorized a $300 cash advance.

I went to pick up my advance and the person in the window at the finance office starting counting out $20 bills. I asked for travelers checks and she returned with a couple of stacks. I signed for them and left. I did not check them as I was in a hurry. Later that night I realized that they gave me $500 worth of checks. I set $200 in checks off to the side.

Upon my return and subsequent filing of my travel voucher I put on there that I received $500 as an advance. My travel voucher was for about $400 total so I fully expected to pay them $100 of the $200 advance and it would be even.

When I got my voucher back they had scratched out the $500 advance and entered $300 and direct deposited about a $100 in my checking account. I took the $200 with me to the finance office and told them that they had over paid me to begin with, they produced a signed log that showed I was only given $300 in travelers checks. It was signed by me and the person who gave the checks to me. I got nowhere trying to tell them that somewhere they were short $200. But I figured that sometime in the future they would figure it out and get back to me. In the meantime I advised my CO so it would not appear as though I was trying to steal anything. I cashed the checks and set $200 aside in my savings account.

That was in 1985, I am still waiting for them to figure it out.

If they used IRS tactics, with penalties and interest, you owe the Air Force about $3,365,292.52 by now ...

I was on leave from the Navy passing through Scottsdale on the way to Whidbey Island. I was staying with my sister, taking the long way. I recall heading down to Chandler AFB with my jacket to get paid. There ended up being some discrepancy to my favor but it was so minute by a few bucks. I didn't even try to argue. I had already seen how screwy things were back at Millington.

Ahh Doug come clean, you enjoyed flirting with the cute check out girls!

Back